Ciaran1602

I do wish RE would stop making things I may like...

Ciaran1602

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/royal-enfield-meteor-350/

royal-enfield-meteor-350-render-yellow-2

Seemingly a quasi replacement for the bullets, mechanically at least. 350cc single oil cooled SOHC motor. Power seems pretty low at 20hp through a 5 speed but I imagine it'll very cheap to compensate. Yet another little Enfield I find myself rather liking!

Yet to come to the west mind so I imagine we'll have some revisions before it lands on our shores.

• Like 7

slowboy

I’ve been watching a number of the Indian road tests on this. It looks intriguing and will make a cracking lightweight bike I suspect. If they bring it out here, it’ll be interesting to see how well it sells. There is certainly a market for the simple bike at the right price. I like it, but at 6’1” It might not fit me so well. 😁

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1

PoppetM

Nice looking.... (I am not helping am I?!) 

• Like 2

fj_stuart

My fantasy lightweight would be my CBF250 with an XR400 engine. The bottom ends look similar so it’s not unrealistic.

Andy m

Looks good to me. 

There was a comment on one article that said it was coming to Europe, so let's hope. 

20 HP is pretty much realistic Bullet 500 territory and these are lighter and use more modern materials. 70 mph cruise if you aren't too much of a pie eater and can stand the noise, but happier at 60.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

slowboy
2 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

My fantasy lightweight would be my CBF250 with an XR400 engine. The bottom ends look similar so it’s not unrealistic.

i thought the same with the 250 rally, but never bothered to measure up the mounts to see how different they are, if at all. I’d probably leave the motor in the XR400 and ride that instead.

fj_stuart

Like the CB350 H’ness it looks ok but when £2k in India becomes £4k in Britain it will seem steep for a 20 bhp plodder.

• Like 1

Ciaran1602

I agree it will entirely depend on pricing - though I expect more around the £3500 to match the Benelli Imperiale 400 for which it seems to compete with. That would put it around £1k cheaper than similarly sized engine bikes from the Japanese big 4 (that are currently available anyway). You trade a big cash saving for a possible step down in build quality and a loss of some pace. Fast enough but not as flexible.

the CB350 H'Ness does look great but aesthetically, I think I prefer the Enfield. Nicer lines. And critically there seems to be indications this will actually arrive in the UK where the H'Ness there's no idea yet.

I'm still not entirely convinced about the downsizing argument for my OWN uses but its definitely caught the eye.

• Like 2

Trev
4 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I agree it will entirely depend on pricing - though I expect more around the £3500 to match the Benelli Imperiale 400 for which it seems to compete with. That would put it around £1k cheaper than similarly sized engine bikes from the Japanese big 4 (that are currently available anyway). You trade a big cash saving for a possible step down in build quality and a loss of some pace. Fast enough but not as flexible.

the CB350 H'Ness does look great but aesthetically, I think I prefer the Enfield. Nicer lines. And critically there seems to be indications this will actually arrive in the UK where the H'Ness there's no idea yet.

I'm still not entirely convinced about the downsizing argument for my OWN uses but its definitely caught the eye.

C'mon, join the dark side, you know you want to :devil:

• Haha 4

Ciaran1602

One day perhaps!

poldark
19 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

One day perhaps!

Monday you said? 😙

• Haha 3

Mr Toad
21 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

One day perhaps!

Look what happened to me! 

I went to Enfield to look at the Himalyan which I loved, I also loved the Interceptor and the 500 Trials. 

I went home feeling confused but once the brain kicked in, brain not available when in showroom, I was able to rationalise things. Interceptor too similar to the Bonneville, Himalayan too similar to GS so it was the 500 Tials that got chosen.

I'm really happy with the bike and think Enfield have got it right, their bikes are what they are and as long as you know this going in you won't be disappointed.  

• Like 3

Ciaran1602

I'm coming around to the idea. I kid myself into saying I want a bike that is capable of pounding away on the motorway at 80 all day but I've only been on one 150 mile + journey in the last 3/4 years really. And any smaller bike can still do that. Just might have to take a slightly less beaten track.

Trade in values on my NC are appalling at the moment so perhaps when the depreciation levels out.

• Like 3

Trev
2 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I'm coming around to the idea. I kid myself into saying I want a bike that is capable of pounding away on the motorway at 80 all day but I've only been on one 150 mile + journey in the last 3/4 years really. And any smaller bike can still do that. Just might have to take a slightly less beaten track.

Right, that's it, I need to drag you out for a decent ride. How about I meet you at Romsey when lockdown finishes and we potter over to Cheddar and back via some varying roads? That should be nigh on 200 miles round trip from yours, mid- morning leave, back before tea time, what do you reckon?

• Like 1

Tonyj

Nope it offends my eyes , get it gone .

Ciaran1602
2 hours ago, Trev said:

Right, that's it, I need to drag you out for a decent ride. How about I meet you at Romsey when lockdown finishes and we potter over to Cheddar and back via some varying roads? That should be nigh on 200 miles round trip from yours, mid- morning leave, back before tea time, what do you reckon?

Sounds like a plan presuming weather and whatnot remains passable!

• Like 1

Andy m
12 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Trade in values on my NC are appalling at the moment so perhaps when the depreciation levels out.

I did 400 mile days on the Bullet 500. 

If you want to go to St. Tropez in a day it isn't power you particularly need, its a fairing and the will to sit and stare at lines of traffic doing the same speed for hours and hours. Bikes designed for this are as compromised on fun roads as the fun ones are on the motorway. It I wanted to do this I'd actually get a 650 sportsbike, motorway running only limited by what your back and wrists can stand but might still make you smile on the A roads. A van would be better though. 

Small bikes and distance are just a case of using the time wisely and navigation. In the last year the Repmobile did 15000 miles and averaged 39 mph according to my phone. Its a matter of flow. The motorways feed the traffic lights in the city centres so the averages include all that rushing to get to the next red and all the time watching trucks race their limiters and "civilians" hog the middle lane in the school holidays . Stay away from these roads and it flows, just without the peaks and troughs. The B roads average the same. On this basis any vehicle that can cruise at 56 mph is going to hold the same average. 

On the infamous GS club trip to hell to back I ditched the idiots. Me and a bloke called Keith did 350 miles on a mix of A and M roads in 7 hours. Our GPS's showed a peak of 75 mph. The idiots did all motorway and clocked speeds of 130. They arrived 5 hours later because of fuel stops, talking to plod and missing junctions through inattention and being in the left hand lane too much. They were frazzled . Real tortoise and hare stuff. 

If you aren't convinced just do it on the NC. Mentally note that anything over 60 is breaking the test rules and ride a route on a full mix of roads, nothing over 20 miles of 70 limit at a go. Your fuel use will be great and you should be relaxed. Get used to covering the distance instead of blatting up to the next phantom jam just because you can and you can tour a 125.

Andy

• Like 4

baben

I agree with Andy on this. My trip to West Wales was entirely A and B roads and was great fun. It probably took longer than motorways but much less tiring.  

Read a Bike mag reprint article from 1977. Bloke did Exeter to Peterborough on a naked BMW R100 in under four hours on A and B roads. Pre speed cam days:bye:

• Like 1

Ciaran1602

All good points and fairly noted. :angel:

• Like 1

Andy m
1 hour ago, baben said:

Exeter to Peterborough on a naked BMW R100 in under four hours on A and B roads. Pre speed cam days:bye:

Google says 4 h 30 via the M6 and Coventry 👎

Through the Coltswolds adds an hour but is actually 20 miles shorter 👍

Under 4 hours would be perfectly possible on the 67HP R100 but you'd need the white one with extra lights 🚓🚔

Andy

• Haha 2

Trev
11 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Sounds like a plan presuming weather and whatnot remains passable!

Absolutely, no sense freezing or soaking ourselves to death just to say we're Winter bikers. You give me a shout when you get a window in your diary/the weather and we can go from there, hasn't got to be an all day ride, a potter around some roads near me and, hopefully, a cuppa and piece of cake clears the cobwebs away just as nicely :thumbsup:

• Like 1

SteveThackery
On 11/18/2020 at 08:30, Ciaran1602 said:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/royal-enfield-meteor-350/

Seemingly a quasi replacement for the bullets, mechanically at least. 350cc single oil cooled SOHC motor. Power seems pretty low at 20hp through a 5 speed but I imagine it'll very cheap to compensate. Yet another little Enfield I find myself rather liking!

I hope they make a 500cc version, then I'd be tempted.

• Like 1

Xactly

I’ll wait and see if it’s any good first.  It looks hopeful as it appears to be based on the Himalayan. If it actually develops 20bhp at the crank then it won’t be far shy of the 500 UCE, which typically produces around 19 bhp at the rear wheel.That’ll do me for what it is, a local runabout. I like the fact that it has tubeless tyres. Whilst spoked wheels look nice and have other advantages I’m afraid I’m unable these days to change tyres myself, especially if they are tubeless but with tubes in, as seems the norm. Hopefully it also has a normal spin-on oil filter and a drain plug with a decent size thread.....It does look nice, that’s for sure. Should get £100 for my UCE as a trade in with a bit of sawdust and some straight 50.

yellownev
On 20/11/2020 at 18:20, Ciaran1602 said:

Looking at the offers on new dealer stock NC’s shifting before the ‘new’ one comes out in 2021 prices for our NC are on a steep southward direction. But that’s motorbikes .... only an investment in adventure, friendship and fun. 

On a lot of the Meteor RE videos they seem t9 be shot in Wales or a green country like it. 

There  is a new dawn in lower cc motorbikes in the main) .... suits me as I long realised it’s the journey not the destination ( why I have a canal boat as well) and motorways whilst useful are so littered with average speed cameras and speed cameras all needing attention if you are going to try and defeat y are a bigger chore than ever. 

This  one is not for me I’ve a Himalayan for my 411cc single blatting about. The new NC is moving towards my happy place of a competent tourer that does not weigh a ton and can be serviced with a few paper clips.