Av4lon

New Transalp rumors

Av4lon

Visor Down reignited rumors today of a new Transalp based on the new NC750 engine. I took a Transalp out for a test ride before buying the NC - fantastic low mileage bike but really tatty condition - have to say a new model would be very tempting indeed

• Thanks 1

Ciaran1602

...which would match in well with removing the NC-S from the range and dropping the seat height on the X. The Transalp becomes the sort of "premium adventure tourer" version that some dealers tried to market the current X as and failed miserably.

• Like 1

poldark

Guessing the T700 success may motivate big H to look at a sub-AT adventure offering (maybe £10k base and £12k premium?).

If it does become a reality one assumes DCT will be an option - mmmmm 🤔

• Like 1

fred_jb

The other rumour they report is a sport-touring bike using the AT 1100 engine and DCT.   That would appeal to me much more than a mid-range adventure bike using the NC750 engine.  https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/honda-transalp-could-be-making-comeback-along-cb1100x

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

Av4lon

I agree, but for new riders like me, 1100s are a bit daunting (more so for the insurance than weight/power). A 750 adventure makes sense for down-sizers or beginners, plus gives Honda a shot at the BMW F800GS or Kwak Versys market.

As with the death of the estate car, maybe the midweight adventurer becomes the new motorcycle 'SUV' on the block

• Like 4

Andy m
13 hours ago, Av4lon said:

s with the death of the estate car, maybe the midweight adventurer becomes the new motorcycle 'SUV' on the block

Probably

The cycle repeats

1999 - style exercise that's about as much use outside European urban areas as a Starbucks gift card

Moto-Guzzi-Quota-1100-ES-1998-3.jpg

Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-1.jpg

The only difference after 20 years is that the Chinese have dressed up copies of old Japanese 400's instead of the various Rotax engined stuff at the bottom end. 

Every manufacturer just goes bigger is better until it gets ridiculous, then slips a new model in the middle to start the cycle again. Triumph's latest Tiger smoke and mirrors etc. 

Andy

larryblag

With it's (slightly) improved Euro 5-ready NC engine. It could work really well. 

skorpion
On 11/21/2020 at 10:44, Andy m said:

Probably

The cycle repeats

1999 - style exercise that's about as much use outside European urban areas as a Starbucks gift card

Moto-Guzzi-Quota-1100-ES-1998-3.jpg

Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-1.jpg

The only difference after 20 years is that the Chinese have dressed up copies of old Japanese 400's instead of the various Rotax engined stuff at the bottom end. 

Every manufacturer just goes bigger is better until it gets ridiculous, then slips a new model in the middle to start the cycle again. Triumph's latest Tiger smoke and mirrors etc. 

Andy

I remember the Quota, my friend and his two day old Quota & I myself on a 250 MZ rode up to Applecross campsite, where he bought 3 small spray cans of WD40 and completely

covered the Quota in it brakes and all, to protect it from the sea air he said.

Others gathered in amazement saying he wouldn't get down the pass without crashing,  later telling me that the WD40 burnt off after a couple of brake applications.

No idea about how good the bike was as he never keeps bikes long, he makes larryblag seem like a hoarder. lol

Edited by skorpion
  • Like 2

kayz1

still do like the looks of that V85TT:D

larryblag

Three cans of WD40 is more than his Quota! 

• Haha 2

Dunnster

Think I started this rumour back in April....:D

• Like 1

Av4lon
1 hour ago, Dunnster said:

I remember reading about it at the start of lock-down. I think manufactures must follow Gartner's hype-cycle to gauge which rumors they fulfill into actual new models

1. The Innovation Trigger in this case is the 'rumor' leaking from the product development team

2. Peak of Inflated Expectations - how noisy is the chatter in motorcycle cafe car parks and how many posts get created on forums. The more buzz, the more they think about making it a real bike

3. Trough of Disillusionment - we all get fed up not hearing anything new and buy something else

4. Slope of Enlightenment - product team realizes it was a good idea after all.

5. Plateau of Productivity - early press releases and teases start rolling out, but they can't quite live up to the hype.

researchmethodology-illustration-hype-cy

Edited by Av4lon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

larryblag
2 hours ago, Dunnster said:

Good question! Depends on whether they wish to leave behind the "Transalp" name or not?

The NC range have never got the respect they deserve - often dismissed which has always been a shame as many on here will agree. 

My forecast therefore (most likely first) will be. 

1/ Africa Twin 850

2/ Transalp 850

3/ NC 850

• Like 1

kayz1
31 minutes ago, larryblag said:

1/ Africa Twin 850

2/ Transalp 850

3/ NC 850

I think you have all bases covered there:D

• Like 1

arengle
On 11/20/2020 at 19:19, Ciaran1602 said:

...which would match in well with removing the NC-S from the range and dropping the seat height on the X. The Transalp becomes the sort of "premium adventure tourer" version that some dealers tried to market the current X as and failed miserably.

the next year 750x, seat is down to 800mm from 830.

Ciaran1602
1 hour ago, arengle said:

the next year 750x, seat is down to 800mm from 830.

Indeed, hence the point. If the 21 750x abandons it's adventure bike height and tries to do all the things the S currently does, it leaves room for a true adventure tourer like a Transalp. Personally I think the new 750 engine with the higher rev ceiling etc will be an excellent successor to the Transalp - after all, that only had 59hp from the 700 v twin. And the new NC is infinitely more fuel efficient/environmentally conscious.

• Like 2

larryblag

And they could still call the Transalp an 850 even if it has the new 750 motor - like a reverse version of what BMW and now Triumph are doing 👍😂

I think between us we've sorted out their marketing strategy AND saved them loads of money with this modular approach. Honda San, please send money to our @ted

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

fred_jb
3 minutes ago, larryblag said:

And they could still call the Transalp an 850 even if it has the new 750 motor - like a reverse version of what BMW and now Triumph are doing 👍😂

Not sure about that. De-exaggerating for marketing segmentation reasons seems acceptable (Yay - I bought a 750 but it is actually an 850!) but I doubt it is true of the reverse where the punter would end up feeling short-changed!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Haha 1

fred_jb
2 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Indeed, hence the point. If the 21 750x abandons it's adventure bike height and tries to do all the things the S currently does, it leaves room for a true adventure tourer like a Transalp. Personally I think the new 750 engine with the higher rev ceiling etc will be an excellent successor to the Transalp - after all, that only had 59hp from the 700 v twin. And the new NC is infinitely more fuel efficient/environmentally conscious.

Yes, Honda definitely seem to be easing the NC out of its always rather unconvincing ADV slot, leaving a vacancy for something with more genuine off-road credentials. Still in the Adventure Bike part of their website at the moment, though I think that may change eventually.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

Ciaran1602
Just now, fred_jb said:

Yes, Honda definitely seem to be easing the NC out of its always rather unconvincing ADV slot, leaving a vacancy for something with more genuine off-road credentials. Still in the Adventure bike part of their website at the moment though I think that may change eventually.

If Nissan can market the Juke as "The Intelligent SUV of Today" despite being neither intelligent nor an SUV, I don't think I'll take too many brownie points from Honda ;) 

• Haha 4

Dunnster

The origanal 700x was too similar to the cb500x only difference being the DCT option. Increasing the engine to 750 was a sensible decision. The amalgamation of the 750S and X is good evolution of the NC concept to make a more "road" focused vehicle and allow a proper off road bike to be introduced into the Honda lineup. Rather than make a smaller Africa Twin, which might take sales away from that premium machine, using the Transalp name to plug the gap with a mid-weight adv bike would be a great move, I reckon. 

• Like 2

fred_jb
20 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

If Nissan can market the Juke as "The Intelligent SUV of Today" despite being neither intelligent nor an SUV, I don't think I'll take too many brownie points from Honda ;) 

Yes or Triumph, as discussed recently, marketing the Tiger 850 as the "Sport" model  in the Tiger 900 range even though it is about 10 bhp short on the others in the range, and actually has the same 888cc capacity!

• Haha 1

larryblag
1 hour ago, fred_jb said:

Not sure about that. De-exaggerating for marketing segmentation reasons seems acceptable (Yay - I bought a 750 but it is actually an 850!) but I doubt it is true of the reverse where the punter would end up feeling short-changed!

Haha yes Fred - it was meant to be satirical but I know you got it 👍😁

Apparently the NC700 barrel was sleeved in order to provide a A2 compatible bikes. When the 500cc parallel twin arrived already A2 compliant, the NC could become the 750 it was always planned to be 👍

• Like 1

larryblag

Network Rail bought us a Transalp as a quick response vehicle for the signal box. They also paid for direct access courses for some of our Mobile Operations Managers. Brilliant, forward thinking for a change.