crazyhorse

Tank pads - are they worth it?

crazyhorse

Are tank pads considered worth it? do they really protect your tank from scratches even on a street bike? or are they more for show?

outrunner

Probably on a sports bike where you are hunched over the tank but with an upright riding position I doubt they are worth it. Other opinions are available of course.  ;)

Andy.

• Like 1

bahnstormer

I never had one on the NC, it just wasn't necessary.  The VFR had one fitted when I got it but it was fitted about 4 inches too low (and it was the nasty fake carbon effect :sick:), so the paint on the tank was "dull" in the area where your body touches it.  Nothing a good polishing couldn't fix mind you, so I bought a new (clear) pad and fitted it further up.

Edited by bahnstormer

poldark

Sportsbikes (and others) often have an OEM tank protection kit sold at purchase.

Probably a good earner for dealers, it's 3M clear panels pre-cut to size for the tank shape, applied at PDI. 

Had one on my Street Triple R, IIRC about £40 in 2010 - kerching!!

wjvh
7 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

Are tank pads considered worth it? 

No

Spindizzy
7 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

Are tank pads considered worth it?

No, my tank is under the seat :angel:

• Haha 2

Foxy

I find them very useful for getting a little more grip on track days.

Rocker66
4 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I find them very useful for getting a little more grip on track days.

I don’t quite see how a pad in the centre of the back of a tank (or frunk in the case of an NC) gives you more grip when cornering.

Foxy

I've interpreted tank pads as including the sides of the tank, but who mentioned corners? There is quite a bit of body movement required on the corners so I'm not so much looking for tank grip there, but under harsh acceleration and deceleration the gripper pads on the sides of my tank help reduce movement on the saddle giving better overall control.

Of course that's only me, your experience might be different. As for the top of the tank, largely for decoration but can help if you plan on using a tank bag.

listener

The slope of the storage area lid means that the NC750X doesn't suffer as badly from 'tank' scratches as a conventional bike.

However, I did notice mild scuffing on my previous 750X; mainly on the small patch of plastic just in front of the seat but also some on the back-most surface of the lid.

I assume this is down to the occasions I've had to lean forward at junctions with restricted visibility or stooping low into heavy winds.

Not helped by the exposed fastening stud on the jacket I had at the time or the ample portion of middle-age spread! :whistle:

• Like 1

Rocker66
33 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I've interpreted tank pads as including the sides of the tank, but who mentioned corners? There is quite a bit of body movement required on the corners so I'm not so much looking for tank grip there, but under harsh acceleration and deceleration the gripper pads on the sides of my tank help reduce movement on the saddle giving better overall control.

Of course that's only me, your experience might be different. As for the top of the tank, largely for decoration but can help if you plan on using a tank bag.

Ok I have always known the side one as knee pads which is why I didn’t understand.