Brake pad heat shield

Steveg

Hi 

When fitted new ebc front pads did not swap out the metal heat shield from original pads

Do I need to ?

Cheers Steveg

Andy m

You mean the spacer/backing plate between pad and piston? 

If it is in good condition, slides freely on the pins and the new pads aren't stupidly thick I see no reason not to just put the current one back. Clean it up, add a blob of grease if it eases your mind or assembly and as the Haynes book of lies says, assembly is the reverse of dis-assembly. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

Yep that's the one will put it back in March when next clean 

Thinking back don't think I've ever swapped over before on previous bikes just pads with a bit of copper grease on back of pads

Is it a heat shield or anti squeal device?

Not sure and it's only on one side on front pads ?

None on rear pads ..

Edited by Steveg
Andy m
19 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Is it a heat shield or anti squeal device?

Both. It also has an anti-wedgeing function, taking force from the leading piston to the trailing area to even wear. 

Andy

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Both. It also has an anti-wedgeing function, taking force from the leading piston to the trailing area to even wear. 

Andy

Is ok not to fit it ?

Cheers

Andy m
21 minutes ago, Steveg said:

Not sure and it's only on one side on front pads ?

None on rear pads ..

The rear is a single piston so less to balance and less powerful so not getting as hot. 

Andy

• Thanks 1
Andy m
Just now, Steveg said:

Is ok not to fit it ?

Cheers

I don't know. 

Honda spent money on it. Metal and assembly costs more than thicker pads. 

If you don't get horrible screeching, worst case is you'll find the pads wear faster by one side doing more work. It probably isn't going to kill you if its missing. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

looks to be 2 parts the metal plate and some black padding matrial  as below  was only expecting the metal plate , do I need to fit both to the ebc pads or just the metal plate part ?

cheers Steveg

shim.jpg.bbf13d0e16c888693b5fb55d8f957510.jpg

Andy m

The parts fiche doesn't even show the plate! I'd put as much back as is in good condition and working. Better to miss out a bit than have a binding brake. 

The different mounting top of the picture are odd. Did you ID the pads by the exact model? 

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy yep the photo is from the pad I removed original pads on bike from new , the shim and metal part are not sold separately and only come with oemHonda brake pads did some googling and read that ebc pads with the shim and metal caused binding so will leave as is and see how it goes

Thanks for your help

Edited by Steveg
  • Like 1

To put your mind at rest consider phoning EBC direct. They have technical help and are based in UK. I think they manufacture in Bristol area and main office and stores based in Northampton.

• Like 1

Have dropped an email be interesting what they say 

Cheers Steveg

fj_stuart
3 hours ago, Steveg said:

looks to be 2 parts the metal plate and some black padding matrial  as below  was only expecting the metal plate , do I need to fit both to the ebc pads or just the metal plate part ?

This is the same arrangement as my SV.

The centre plate is made out of glass fibre (?) and is called an “insulator” and I guess it prevents heat from the pad getting to the brake fluid.

The metal plate is called a “retainer”. As with yours the insulator doesn’t not have the lip at the end to retain it on the caliper. The tabs on the retainer do this.

I can’t think why you’d want to omit these items. I reason that Honda put them there for a purpose. If EBC reply I’m sure that’s what they’ll say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
MatBin

When disc brakes first appeared on bikes they didn't work well, if at all, in the wet, a solution was required. Kawasaki came to market with sintered brake material first, others adopted other solutions that didn't work well either, but it was found that heavy braking in the dry boiled the brake fluid, so they insulated the pad from the caliper to prevent heat transfer. I don't recall if it was by a block of something or not using metal pistons. The other manufacturers came up with their own solution to the problem, see Honda's discs in a drum solution disaster for how not to do it. Guess Honda now use the block above in the picture. Perhaps EBC use a different method or assume you will just replace the pad and continue to re-use the other parts, how do they compare thickness wise overall? Would leaving out the Honda part not mean the pistons will travel too far out when the pads are nearly worn out i.e. very thin and risk falling out?

• Like 1
skorpion

In my experience with after market brake pads on the NC750 and Iv'e tried a few,  is you can't reuse the shim as the pads are too thick.

Leaving it out has no noticeable effect on braking or caliper overheating.

Edited by skorpion
  • Thanks 2
Steveg

Looking at EBC spec pad is 9.8mm thick ( so that must be backing plate aswell ) , can't see any thickness specs for the oem honda pads anywhere on-line

The EBC pads look too thick to use the additional shim from oem Honda pad IMHO

From researching online a few people have had issues when putting the Honda oem shim on EBC pads as caused binding

Also from researching have noticed a few comments saying the EBC pads were thicker than the OEM

Cheers Steveg

• Thanks 1
Wedgepilot
6 hours ago, skorpion said:

In my experience with after market brake pads on the NC750 and Iv'e tried a few,  is you can't reuse the shim as the pads are too thick.

Leaving it out has no noticeable effect on braking or caliper overheating.

This was my experience too going from OEM to EBC, I could just about get the caliper back on without the shim. I kept the shims just in case, but the brakes were fine without them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Steveg

Manged to find specs for original nissin front brake pads ( the 2 piston caliper ) the EBC pads are 0.8mm thicker each

ebc.PNG.9e6e9541e37480638f93205b28337ad9.PNG

nissin.jpg

Edited by Steveg
  • Thanks 1
skorpion

Also checked myself Brembo & SBS  both 9.6mm

• Thanks 1
Steveg

Reply from EBC

Hi Steve,

Unless stated on the packaging, none of our pads need the OE shim in place.

As for the FA196HH, the OE shim is not needed.

Kind regards

Gareth Preston

Technical Advisor Motorcycle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well done Steve, it’s good to get it confirmed by the manufacturer techs.