Grumpy old man

Makes my blood boil!

slowboy
2 hours ago, Steve Case said:

I have to agree with fj_stu, this is bugger all to do with Honda and everything to do with the dealer or the owner, cos one of them has 'misplaced' the shim.

Ain't no way it did 2500 miles with a shim missing.

But the other post not the watches one...

Absolutely. It would have been obvious to me if I’d left a shim out of my 250 rally. Now I have heard of engines in the past spitting a shim out in extremis, very very occasionally. But that would be on a track with someone over-reving it, not in normal running and never for a CRF motor. As there is a Rev limiter on the rally, the only reason I can think of for that to happen is someone reving the bejesus out of it with the clutch in or in neutral. While the Rev limiter is good, you can get instability at high revs against the limiter.

usually on the very rare occasions it happens, there’s loads of “evidence”. You’d probably have to split the crankcase though to find the remains of the shim, but they are not very big on the CRF

At 2500 miles they wouldn’t need doing either. Mine were done a bit late at 17,500 miles (service says 16,000) and the exhausts were slightly tight, only just out of tolerance. The inlets were bang in the middle. Pretty much what you’d expect. Fairly easy job made long by the amount of “stuff” that had to be removed.

Edited by slowboy

Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Steve Case said:

I have to agree with fj_stu, this is bugger all to do with Honda and everything to do with the dealer or the owner, cos one of them has 'misplaced' the shim.

Ain't no way it did 2500 miles with a shim missing.

But the other post not the watches one...

The owner isn't owning up to taking the top off and the fact it's got a full Honda service history  why should he want to, and apparently Honda are blaming rider abuse! Hell of a lot of valve bounce!

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 1

Chris750
44 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

The owner isn't owning up to taking the top off and the fact it's got a full Honda service history  why should he want to, and apparently Honda are blaming rider abuse! Hell of a lot of valve bounce!

Yes I keep looking for updates and he doesn't admit to anything even though several people have asked more about the circumstances, definitely more to it than meets the eye.

• Like 1

Andy m

The "It's peanuts to a big corporation" approach I can understand. It doesn't work, but I can understand it. 

What I am now struggling with is the logic for what has been done.  Some botched attempt at a 300cc or other conversion? Why do the valves that aren't due unless we have an owner of the "8000 mile oil changes are specified, so opening the drain and running it as total loss must be better, always fresh oil right👍" school? If a shim was dropped in the timing chain hole why not just fit a new one then book it into the dealers as making a funny noise? Sell it a week afterward they pass it as fully serviced 😈. 

We get the crazy ones . People who tap metric ports to Imperial then expect the warranty to be paid on the swarf inside. Electrical connectors we test in Finland they've filled with grease to hold the dirt and water in. The ones they strip down to see what the problem was and reassemble in a way that's impossible on the production line. 

It's almost easier to believe it has miraculously run without the shim. 

Andy

Perthshire

A positive Warranty experience.  My Land Rover Explore mobile phone,  suppost to be robust and comes with a 2 year warranty.  The weak link seems to be the little plastic tabs that hold on the metal buttons.  Last year one of the tabs broke and the button fell off.   Contacteded their support through the website and got a new button through the post straight away.  Last week another one went.  Logged a call with them again asking for another button.  They have no more buttons as the model is now discontinued,  so they asked for a receipt and then refunded the full cost of the phone.  Thats what I call service.  

Grumpy old man

Well I'm a little baffled with missing shim, the bike is a 68 plate with a full Honda service history so after 2 years it should have the valves checked irrespective of mileage. Mmmm, too much information missing. 

To be fair on Honda with my Nc750x I had a warranty claim on the speedometer head, wheel bearing and tyres and all was sorted with very little hassle.

slowboy
3 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Well I'm a little baffled with missing shim, the bike is a 68 plate with a full Honda service history so after 2 years it should have the valves checked irrespective of mileage. Mmmm, too much information missing. 

To be fair on Honda with my Nc750x I had a warranty claim on the speedometer head, wheel bearing and tyres and all was sorted with very little hassle.

Anyone doing the shims after two years, or indeed any time before the mileage has been reached is massively wasting their time. Wear takes place because of hours of operation, not through the passage of time.
Time based maintenance is mostly just a fudge to keep dealers in business, with the possible exclusion of brake fluid that absorbs water over time, although it would be interesting to see when it really goes out of spec in a mostly sealed system....🤔

Any commercial operation does their maintenance through a record of hours of operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

Anyone doing the shims after two years, or indeed any time before the mileage has been reached is massively wasting their time. Wear takes place because of hours of operation, not through the passage of time.
Time based maintenance is mostly just a fudge to keep dealers in business, with the possible exclusion of brake fluid that absorbs water over time, although it would be interesting to see when it really goes out of spec in a mostly sealed system....🤔

Any commercial operation does their maintenance through a record of hours of operation.

What you say makes sense to me but if you're paying for a 24 month/16000 miles service I would hope Honda would do the full job that they reccomend. It would be nice if the dealer said " you haven't done the mileage so the valves don't need doing and we won't charge for it". Do you think they might? I wonder if the dealer did the valves on that particular bike.

As said there's a lot of info missing. 

MatBin
On 15/01/2021 at 20:10, Grumpy old man said:

It would be nice if the dealer said " you haven't done the mileage so the valves don't need doing and we won't charge for it". Do you think they might?

That's how my triumph dealer operated, my bought new owned for 3 years never got to 2nd main service mileage so they just did 12k oil/filter change every year, plus a recommendation to change brake fluid at 3 years which I declined, they didn't do it and didn't charge. Went bust...... Shame.

Edited by MatBin

MatBin
On 15/01/2021 at 18:13, slowboy said:

So are you advising my 12 month oil/filter change due in 2 months at 3000 miles from last change could be delayed until I hit 8k from last change, which could be 3 years since previous change? I would be concerned about filter degredation having been sat in oil for maybe 3 years.

• Like 1

Mr Toad
13 minutes ago, MatBin said:

So are you advising my 12 month oil/filter change due in 2 months at 3000 miles from last change could be delayed until I hit 8k from last change, which could be 3 years since previous change? I would be concerned about filter degredation having been sat in oil for maybe 3 years.

I tend to do mine to schedule but only because it's re;atively cheap and easy to do myself. 

That said there's a part of my brain that says "It's been in the ground for 100 million years, will another couple of years in the engine matter that much?"

slowboy
1 hour ago, MatBin said:

I am, but if changing it gives you piece of mind, then change it. It’s not that expensive. I used to look after large and complicated machinery, very little maintenance was time based, although some things were done because it was convenient to do it at a certain opportunity.

• Like 1

skorpion

A guy I worked with has a immaculate Yamaha XJ650 that he hadn't changed the engine oil in over 20 years, he said due to his low mileage,  though after some persuasion/ribbing he did and complained he felt no difference in the running of that engine. lol

He also bought the Turbo version and takes both to classic bike shows, or did before you know what came along.

Edited by skorpion
  • Like 1