old commuter

Caberg Duke or Nolan 100-5

old commuter

Narrowed my next Helmet down to these two but can’t quite decide. Anybody had experience of one or both? Any comments would be helpful

Argyll

The Duke is a good helmet for the price. Nice and light although not up to Shoei quality and not as quiet as the Shoei. Still, it's now my go-to lid, mainly for weight reasons.

The only Nolan that I had was the Nolan 43 Air, quite a noisy helmet but very good quality. I liked the detachable chin bar until I started using it and found it too awkard to re-fit but I was impressed by the helmet generally. So I'm a bit of a Nolan fan too.

So, I guess it would depend on price for me but I'd be happy to choose either brand.

old commuter

Not keen on Shoei, shape seems wrong for my head and they sit uncomfortable. Thanks for the feedback I like  both helmets and they fit fine. I am also not keen on carbon fibre for a number of reasons so feel happier in fibreglass or one of the strong plastics.

Tel

Cabergs are cheap but not very comfortable for me. The lining isn't as plush or cosseting as other similarly priced helmets.

Look on SportsBikeSHop online and buy a Shark for the same money, or HJC!. They always have reductions on certain models on their website and they deliver next day, and exchange with no hassle if a different size is required.

old commuter

Yes I have used Sportsbike shop for a long time now. I have heard really good things about shark. Don’t really know HJC. I like the 5 star rating of the Caberg, however Nolan is 4 star and I have had Nolan for a number of years.

suffolk58
59 minutes ago, old commuter said:

Not keen on Shoei, shape seems wrong for my head and they sit uncomfortable. Thanks for the feedback I like  both helmets and they fit fine. I am also not keen on carbon fibre for a number of reasons so feel happier in fibreglass or one of the strong plastics.

I'm the same, in that some helmet shapes are good for me and others are not.

I've had the Caberg Duke and was most impressed by it for the price. It's gone now, but was used for commuting almost everyday, for three years. (I had the matt white version, which was a pain to keep clean).

I have a Nolan too (not the 100-5 however) and it too is very comfortable (or it was, until I tried to fit a comms unit and messed up the padding, trying to refit it).

Webbikeworld, whilst American, give excellent reviews and include a head shape guide: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/

I once bought an expensive Schuberth helmet, which was fine in the shop, but was agony after wearing if for half an hour on the bike.

I seem to get along with Italiian helmets and think you may have the same "Italian" shaped head as me. Also try AGV helmets, you may be right for them too.

Suomy helemts are also Italian, but I've never tried one. :)

old commuter

Funnily enough Suffolk, that about the Italian headshape has been said before. Might be something in what you say there.

DCTPaul

Had a few Caberg Flips... Duke/Konda etc. plus a Lazer Paname...

For me now its HJC... on my second IS Max 2... i think the newer i90 is even better.

Not Shoei, but not Shoei money... and make the Cabergs feel cheap...

Edited by DCTPaul

old commuter

I don’t really know anything about HJC I will investigate

old commuter

HJC seem to have very variable sharp ratings.

Ciaran1602

I had recently bought a Shark helmet but sent it back after wearing it for an hour sat at my desk. The shape just wasn’t right for the back of my head - a problem I have had with Sharks before. The lesson there is the deal may be great but if it isn’t right it isn’t right. Choose a retailer that does free returns like SBS - helmet city do not as I have found out to my cost. 

I have had several HJCs and they were excellent. Similarly I currently have a Nolan N40 and it too is a good helmet, though the chin strap is a tiny bit on the small side and adjustment levels are a touch poor. I would have no hesitation in recommending either brand. HJC have paired with Sena for bespoke fittings for Bluetooth if that’s your game. 

I in fact came off wearing a cheap CL-ST a few years back. It did a thorough job of keeping my noggin in one piece. 

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1

Defender
55 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I had recently bought a Shark helmet but sent it back after wearing it for an hour sat at my desk. The shape just wasn’t right for the back of my head - a problem I have had with Sharks before. The lesson there is the deal may be great but if it isn’t right it isn’t right. Choose a retailer that does free returns like SBS - helmet city do not as I have found out to my cost. 

I have had several HJCs and they were excellent. Similarly I currently have a Nolan N40 and it too is a good helmet, though the chin strap is a tiny bit on the small side and adjustment levels are a touch poor. I would have no hesitation in recommending either brand. HJC have paired with Sena for bespoke fittings for Bluetooth if that’s your game. 

I in fact came off wearing a cheap CL-ST a few years back. It did a thorough job of keeping my noggin in one piece. 

Your post raises some very interesting points.

Fit is one of the most important things when buying a helmet and varies greatly not only from brand to brand, but different models from the same brand can be very different too.

I have a Roof Desmo flip front/over helmet, it's a good fit for me, but I had to try on several sizes to get the right one and I also tried their Boxer V8 model and it was just horrible to wear in any size I tried!

For conventional full face helmets I tend to wear Arai's, I know their sizing and can buy them mail order without a problem, I've had a couple of AGV's and a Shoei. I also prefer the double D ring strap system rather than the click seat belt buckle type, which my Roof has, but I have no real issues with it, it's just a preference.

If I was buying mail order I'd want to be able to return the helmet if was at all unsure about it's fit etc, so Helmet City is best avoided then, unless you're absolutely certain about what you're buying. 

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1

Ciaran1602

For clarity Helmet City are more than happy for you to return it - but they don’t pay for said postage. Where SBS fling you a DPD return label if it ain’t right without any qualms. 

• Thanks 1

Defender
5 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

For clarity Helmet City are more than happy for you to return it - but they don’t pay for said postage. Where SBS fling you a DPD return label if it ain’t right without any qualms. 

Thanks, that's not so bad, but it's still something to be considered if everything else is the same?

Edited by Defender

Hickky

I always have a soft spot for Nolan helmets and the one I owned was great value. You see, when Nolan first came to the UK there was a competition to win one in MCN. I did!

Ciaran1602
11 hours ago, Defender said:

Thanks, that's not so bad, but it's still something to be considered if everything else is the same?

When return postage for a 2.5kg box is minimum £10 for tracked, up to between £20-30 for insured, it quickly erodes the potential savings. I’d rather go with a retailer whose service I have used routinely and trust!

• Like 1

Steveg

Have had my caburg duke for 3 years , used daily been a good helmet and came with free pinlock , bargain @ approx £130

The HJC is max 2 is another good option , will be one or the other next time I change , most likely another duke for the free pinlock

cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg

old commuter

Thank you for all of the advice.

old commuter

well tricky one - both sizes fit. L or XL. L says 60cm and XL 62. I measure 60.5.  Guessing L would be best for safety - any further views on this?

Steveg

I'm between a medium and large helmet size (58.5cm) buy a medium and is tight for a week or 2 then fine normally

Could be my hair is getting thinner :blink:

My 3 year old size medium is now loose fitting so time for replacement soon be nice to have new pinlock for the winter as well

Which helmet you going for 

Cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg

old commuter

well tricky one - both sizes fit. L or XL. L says 60cm and XL 62. I measure 60.5.  Guessing L would be best for safety - any further views on this?

Thanks Steve Great advice.

Ciaran1602

Provided it doesn’t cause any specific hot spots, undue pressure on specific parts of your head, I would suggest going smaller of the two. It might feel tight almost on the edge of mild discomfort but that’s sort of how it’s supposed to be. Week or two or a few hours in those cheek pads will start to get shape to your face and you’ll be grand. 

Depending on the brand you can also get different size cheek pads for some helmets that might help.

Give it a whirl for a good half hour or hour or so while watching tv or something just to be sure the shape suits you. That’s the only way I found the shape of the last one wasn’t quite right for my head. 

Steveg

If you are buying online as long as you don't take any labels etc off , you can wear in house for 30mins + , if it's really too tight you will find out and can return for next size up, buy from somewhere like Sportsbikeshop online who do free returns 

You could always order 2 sizes and return one one that does not fit 

Ive found that if fit is really comfy from new tends to be a size too big 

Cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg

old commuter

Thanks everybody. Brilliant advice.

Jim

Johnnie Mototrans

62.5 Xl

Apparently I have a freakishly big head.

I worry that if I learn anything else my head will grow and I will have to give up motorcycling.