Haggard Rider

First ride on my new CB1100RS

Tel

Did Dobles do you a good deal? I could be tempted with a black one of those...

Good luck, lovely bike!

• Like 1

Haggard Rider
2 minutes ago, Tel said:

Did Dobles do you a good deal? I could be tempted with a black one of those...

Good luck, lovely bike!

Yes, very good deal, good trade in (way better than Triumph offered) all handled slickly and painlessly. Very pleased.

• Like 3

Trev

Nice one 👍

Look forward to hearing more about the CB (and more pics) and maybe we'll get to meet at a New Forest pub in the Spring 🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

larryblag
9 hours ago, Haggard Rider said:

Yes, very good deal, good trade in (way better than Triumph offered) all handled slickly and painlessly. Very pleased.

I was offered £1000 more than Triumph for my HD at Honda. One of the reasons I chose it (vs a T120). 

• Like 2

larryblag
9 hours ago, Haggard Rider said:

First ride out on the RS today, just to get some petrol, honest, but, once again (becoming a habit this) I absent mindedly took a wrong turn out of the petrol station and ended up having to do 40 miles to get back home! Silly me.

Roads were greasy and damp and bloody filthy! A bit cool too. But the bike was an absolute delight to ride. Despite being a more aggressive posture, I got no wrist, shoulder or neck pains. The seat was as hard as I remember from my 2013 model (which I replaced with one from Samurider), but as I was canted forward, it was not painful this time.

Loving the roll on power from any revs – absolutely delicious and very addictive. Suspension is set up ok for me, certainly feel better than the NC750 I had before, turns into corners nice and smartly too.

Sounds gorgeous too, much rumblier and more 'fruity' than I've been used to, with the occasional crackle and pop too. Wonderful.

A bit 'reluctant' to go from 4th to 3rd maybe? We'll see how that goes, hopefully it will smooth out with more miles.

Clutchless up and down shifts are a breeze but the clutch is nicely '2-finger' light anyway.

Absolutely love the view forward over the dials and the clip-on appearing handlebars – proper cafe racer. Just need to find some cafes that are open now. Sometime in April that'll be then – maybe.

warsash shore resized.JPG

dirty resized.JPG

Fantastic! Lovely! Thanks for sharing. I too found the suspension excellent on mine. With a premium feel and a good match for the bikes weight. Two up made little difference either to both comfort and handling. 

I like the subtle "Dobles" badge on the front mudguard 👍

• Like 1

Tex

Now you can spend ages giving it a damn good wash. :niceone:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

cartejo5

Nice nike, looks fab in the silver and black. If I dare say so - it looks a much more premium product bike than the trident you were talking about buying.

Now get it washed.

• Like 3

Haggard Rider

I did give it a rinse off with a hose, that muck came off very easily, Dobles did a good job of waxing it I think! ....and that's all it will get for now.

• Like 5

Marvincon
13 hours ago, Haggard Rider said:

First ride out on the RS today, just to get some petrol, honest, but, once again (becoming a habit this) I absent mindedly took a wrong turn out of the petrol station and ended up having to do 40 miles to get back home! Silly me.

Roads were greasy and damp and bloody filthy! A bit cool too. But the bike was an absolute delight to ride. Despite being a more aggressive posture, I got no wrist, shoulder or neck pains. The seat was as hard as I remember from my 2013 model (which I replaced with one from Samurider), but as I was canted forward, it was not painful this time.

Loving the roll on power from any revs – absolutely delicious and very addictive. Suspension is set up ok for me, certainly feel better than the NC750 I had before, turns into corners nice and smartly too.

Sounds gorgeous too, much rumblier and more 'fruity' than I've been used to, with the occasional crackle and pop too. Wonderful.

A bit 'reluctant' to go from 4th to 3rd maybe? We'll see how that goes, hopefully it will smooth out with more miles.

Clutchless up and down shifts are a breeze but the clutch is nicely '2-finger' light anyway.

Absolutely love the view forward over the dials and the clip-on appearing handlebars – proper cafe racer. Just need to find some cafes that are open now. Sometime in April that'll be then – maybe.

warsash shore resized.JPG

dirty resized.JPG

My first ride on my 1100EX consisted of a Easyjet flight from Birmingham to Belfast, a taxi to Londonderry, ride to Belfast ferry landing in Scotland after 6pm and arriving home just after midnight. Such an easy bike to ride.

• Like 3

bigk

Really nice looking bike. I have to say I am quite tempted by one of these (having regretted getting rid of the CB1100EX a couple of years back) and it seems like it would be easier to keep clean than the EX version (especially without the spokes).

Just take care that the matt paint on the tank where your knees touch it doesn't become "shiny". I have had a couple of bikes with matt paint recently (including the current one) and have quickly put knee grips/plastic coverings on the tank to protect it.

Finally, you are very brave taking your new bike out on such salty/filthy road conditions! Mine will be sorned until at least March!

• Like 2

larryblag
5 hours ago, Tex said:

Now you can spend ages giving it a damn good wash. :niceone:

And there's no better way to get to know your new bike bike 👍

• Like 3

larryblag

I've just noticed those front forks look very similar to the ones on the Crossrunner? Wouldn't surprise me if they were. 

Haggard Rider
4 hours ago, bigk said:

.... Finally, you are very brave taking your new bike out on such salty/filthy road conditions! Mine will be sorned until at least March!

It arrived on Thursday, 7th. Clever clogs here had set the insurance to start on Friday 8th, which was wet here (offs!), then a wet weekend so by Monday to say I was getting twitchy would be an understatement. Fortunately, Monday was a rain free day so took my opportunity when I could. My reasoning that buying petrol was an essential journey was that to leave the bike with an empty fuel tank would have been just plain asking for condensation and then rust to set in inside the tank, and that just wouldn't do, would it Officer?

To have my new bike sat in the garage unridden until March would be so beyond my capability! But I'll wait for some drier days, I think.

• Like 3

bigk

I must admit, I've bought lots of bikes in the winter in order to get the best deal then I've had to pick them up in apalling weather but it breaks my heart to have to pick up a brand new bike (which has been polished and prepared) only for me to ride out of the showroom and into the pouring rain! Enjoy your bike. It's a beauty!

• Like 2

larryblag

I collected my second Sportster in heavy rain too. Brand new, black and shiny chrome. Journey home was about 15 miles. Took me the rest of the week to get properly clean again. 

• Sad 1

cartejo5

Picked my new to me wee strom up just before Xmas in the worst weather I've ridden in for years. 90 miles in pouring rain, high winds and 40 miles of M1 with spray. 

I'm not sure if naming it Ducky was the right thing to do but it certainly handled the terrible weather better than I did! My faithful old dainese boots which have been shielded by two cylinders for years leaked like sieves when they were fully exposed to the elements.

Oh well, new bike, new decade, new boots. 

• Like 2

wingrider.steve

Back in 1977 I picked up my new Honda CB750F1 in the middle of January the day after we'd had some heavy snow. No problem I thought, the mains roads will be clear including the road past the dealers.

Unfortunately when I got to the dealers there was no sign of my new bike out in front of the shop or inside the shop, it was in the workshop and the only access to that was along a back alley which was cobbled and covered in hard packed snow/ice.

As I got on the bike to ride away I was very conscious of the workshop staff watching me and no doubt waiting for the inevitable but to my eternal pride I managed the 100 metres or so out onto the main road without any embarrassing incidents!

• Sad 2

Trev

I've never had a new bike (or even many shiny ones) and my only new car experiences have been collecting new company cars, most of which I wasn't too fussed about even though some were very nice. The one that does stand out is when I picked up the company Mustang :whistle: brand new from dealership in Truro, about 150 miles drive from my house, in November. It had been hissing down for several days but at least most of the trip would be dual carriageway and A roads, or so I thought. The road I turned onto from the dealers had a diversion which I missed and ended up in proper Cornish narrow, mud strewn country lanes for about ten miles, the cars was literally covered in sh*t. At least I had some fun on back roads I knew well nearer home, no point worrying about the muck by then.

• Like 1

Thosoneill

If you don’t mind me asking - what are the black blobs on the levers 

Haggard Rider

RLETs! aka Rubber lever end thingies! Helps protect the road surface if you drop the bike!! :yes:

Honda part no: 9501016001 - https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550K-1978-USA/part_145245/

• Haha 2

skorpion

1970s Living in Leeds and late March early April, picking up a brand new Suzuki GT750A from Dowsons Motorcycles Scarborough, drove there with my brother in his car very cold day with snow flurries.

Getting my riding gear out of his car boot I inadvertently locked the car keys inside, we couldn't get anyone that could open it,  so 75 miles home on new bike for the spare keys, 75 miles back to Scarborough frozen stiff when I arrived, asked brother if I could drive his car home and he take the bike, Answer No it will teach you to not lock keys in the boot, he was right I never have, touch wood,

• Like 2
  • Grrr 1
  • Haha 2

Xactly
On 12/01/2021 at 13:22, larryblag said:

I've just noticed those front forks look very similar to the ones on the Crossrunner? Wouldn't surprise me if they were. 

Nah, mine are clean and shiny...Oh, I see what you mean. While I quite like the latter day CB750, for me the awful front mudguard mount looks like an afterthought. It would look better if the brace were hidden from view under the mudguard.

slowboy
1 minute ago, Xactly said:

Nah, mine are clean and shiny...Oh, I see what you mean. While I quite like the latter day CB750, for me the awful front mudguard mount looks like an afterthought. It would look better if the brace were hidden from view under the mudguard.

But on the upside it won’t get pelted with road grit and rot away unseen there like it might under the guard. Whole bike looks lovely to me. Any time you want to swap against a C90, I’m your man :dielaugh:

• Like 4

Xactly

True, but if you remove it, treat it and replace before exposing it to all the road crud it’s less likely to rot. Anyway the whole point of bikes like that is to look great and be really shiny isn’t it?