Jump to content
Haggard Rider

First ride on my new CB1100RS

Recommended Posts

Haggard Rider
11 hours ago, Thosoneill said:

.

 

.

 

Edited by Haggard Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky
6 hours ago, Xactly said:

Anyway the whole point of bikes like that is to look great and be really shiny isn’t it?

Ohhh, you may easily upset some with Auto Sol running through their veins on this site. Me, I like blacked out bikes so I don't have to clean it so often. My old 1980 black CX500 was cleaned with a hose every month, even if it didn't need it. Over 85,000 miles in two years as a dispatch bike it was never properly clean. I ran a few MZ250s that only got cleaned when I was preparing it for sale!

Clean less and ride more! (except when raining or if it is cold nowadays, I have turned into a wuss)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyj

Well I’m in the clean bike camp on this one , yes it can be bothersome and boring to have to spend a bit of time keeping it up to standard but for me it’s worth it . If you are planted in the  “ I’d rather ride it” gang so be it but don’t kid yourself it looks the same after a year and 1 wash to the rider who looks after his machine with regular maintenance including a wash .

I used to commute pretty much all year round on the nc but would always prep it by giving it a wash before starting the week bit like cleaning my kit , might be a hang up of my working class background but it helps me keep an eye on the overall condition of safety critical items. Clean it and admire it :0)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
9 hours ago, Hickky said:

Ohhh, you may easily upset some with Auto Sol running through their veins on this site. Me, I like blacked out bikes so I don't have to clean it so often. My old 1980 black CX500 was cleaned with a hose every month, even if it didn't need it. Over 85,000 miles in two years as a dispatch bike it was never properly clean. I ran a few MZ250s that only got cleaned when I was preparing it for sale!

Clean less and ride more! (except when raining or if it is cold nowadays, I have turned into a wuss)

Funny, you seem to be at odds with how you looked after the Z900. When I saw that it looked immaculate. 😁 Or is it the dry roads only approach😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Xactly
9 hours ago, Hickky said:

Ohhh, you may easily upset some with Auto Sol running through their veins on this site. Me, I like blacked out bikes so I don't have to clean it so often. My old 1980 black CX500 was cleaned with a hose every month, even if it didn't need it. Over 85,000 miles in two years as a dispatch bike it was never properly clean. I ran a few MZ250s that only got cleaned when I was preparing it for sale!

Clean less and ride more! (except when raining or if it is cold nowadays, I have turned into a wuss)

You’re missing the point. I’m referring to bikes that are designed to look cool. MZs and Plastic Maggots were just functional and very good at what they’re for. Nobody will want a used scabrous CB1100RS, or Thruxton or whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cartejo5

Im not a big one for bike cleaning however I do routinely give them a good clean for two reasons 1, maintains the vehicles condition and value and  more importantly it’s much easier checking over stuff and picking up on items needing attention before they cause problems when you can see them clearly.

 

 

Edited by cartejo5
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky
6 hours ago, slowboy said:

Funny, you seem to be at odds with how you looked after the Z900. When I saw that it looked immaculate. 😁 Or is it the dry roads only approach😂

Brian, on the day it was sold it was looking tired, only having had a single wash during the past 6 months. I recon when you saw it she was nearly new and hadn't been out in the rain. I regularly lubricated the chain with WD40 every month even when she hadn't been off the paddock stand to keep it from getting tight spots, but being outside from August to end of November was tough on the bike and I knew that the next outing on a bigger bike still is likely to be in June, then she had to go. It is tough on a bike to stay outside and not ridden, even a cover makes little difference.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
On 12/01/2021 at 13:21, larryblag said:

And there's no better way to get to know your new bike bike 👍

Really? I haven’t washed mine yet 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

I'm a little guilty of being rather too finicky with my cleaning. I start off OK, with a simple and perfectly acceptable wash and dry. But then I walk round the bike, and do a bit more. Then a bit more and eventually it's a full-on detailing exercise. But, I shouldn't be too hard on myself. A stitch in time is a good approach for keeping on top of things. 

Of course this may all change if we're fortunate enough to have a decent, unlocked summer 👍

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
18 hours ago, larryblag said:

I'm a little guilty of being rather too finicky with my cleaning. I start off OK, with a simple and perfectly acceptable wash and dry. But then I walk round the bike, and do a bit more. Then a bit more and eventually it's a full-on detailing exercise. But, I shouldn't be too hard on myself. A stitch in time is a good approach for keeping on top of things. 

Of course this may all change if we're fortunate enough to have a decent, unlocked summer 👍

 

 

Mr Poppet has been known to re-wash a car that me and my brother in law have just cleaned. His idea of "just cleaning the windows, only be half hour" means 2.5 hours later and windows, gutters and facia boards will be done. 

 

He's dying to wash my car. I have pointed out that the reason my last car had to be scrapped was because he kept cleaning it in damp conditions and it never got the chance to dry out properly. He would shampoo the carpet in it when it's 2 degrees outside and then I had mouldy carpets for years and the car froze on the inside so was unusable in the winter when I needed it. 

 

We had exactly the same argument when he said if he couldn't clean my car, he would clean the carpet in the garage. Ok clever man, tell me how that carpet is going to dry out when there is no heat in the garage, it's a cold concrete floor and it's going be below freezing this weekend?

 

After being called a complete control freak (amongst other adjectives) for stopping him doing these things, I am not really but I am merely pointing out these are jobs for SUMMER not mid-winter, I told him to go ahead and clean it but I will be putting a For Sale sign up on Monday so I don't have to deal with whatever longterm damp problem he has then created and then he can have his own property to do what the hell he wants when he wants.

 

Don't worry, we have since declared a truce. Common sense finally prevailed :dielaugh:

  • Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

Hah, firmly in the ‘if I really have to’ camp. I made the mistake of not cleaning my car for weeks first lockdown and I park underneath a tree - covered in bird mess. Course me being me I just took my parents pressure washer to it and now have a few gnarly paint marks on the door and roof. If I hand it back to Vauxhall I’ll have to get it resprayed - though at the moment I’m considering just paying it off at the end and keeping it till it dies/we aren’t allowed to drive ICE any more. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

"Carpet  in the garage" Poppet! 

Blimey, how the other half live 😳

We don't even have carpet in the lounge 😔

👍😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
1 hour ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Hah, firmly in the ‘if I really have to’ camp. I made the mistake of not cleaning my car for weeks first lockdown and I park underneath a tree - covered in bird mess. Course me being me I just took my parents pressure washer to it and now have a few gnarly paint marks on the door and roof. If I hand it back to Vauxhall I’ll have to get it resprayed - though at the moment I’m considering just paying it off at the end and keeping it till it dies/we aren’t allowed to drive ICE any more. 

If you can get hold of it - try Zymol, Halfrauds used to stock it, we haven't been able to get hold of it, but there are some good Meguirs shampoo and waxes that might be able to get it out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
1 minute ago, larryblag said:

"Carpet  in the garage" Poppet! 

Blimey, how the other half live 😳

We don't even have carpet in the lounge 😔

👍😂

Previous owner painted it magnolia on the inside and put down a cream carpet. We just inherited it.  The carpet in the garage looks better then the new carpet in our lounge because he can't get at it daily with the Dyson that has chewed our living room carpet, there are days I wish we didn't have carpet in the house :dielaugh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Steve1962

Very smart bike, and who needs any reason to take the long way home anyway!!

 

My last bike, the beemer 1100R, I rode that straight home to the Cotswolds (near Burford) from the bike shop where I bought it, which was in Wells, Somerset, and the previous one (1100RT), I rode home from Wales.

 

Safe riding and enjoy your new steed.

 

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Haggard Rider

Well, I succumbed! Washed the bike today. Got some pure shampoo and wet wax stuff from AGlym, works a treat equally on the matte, chrome and gloss finishes. 

 

Now I've got to 'know the bike' as per @larryblag, I don't have to rush to give it another wash (was filthy tho').

 

(considering it was 5C both times I've been out on it, how come I've collected tar spots on the downpipes and silencers?) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

It's probably that surface dressing that they still insist on calling "resurfacing" - where they squirt a bit of tar on, then throw chippings at it. There's alwsys some errant tar knocking about just waiting to attach itself to white cars and any bikes that may pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
On 16/01/2021 at 15:43, Haggard Rider said:

Well, I succumbed! Washed the bike today. Got some pure shampoo and wet wax stuff from AGlym, works a treat equally on the matte, chrome and gloss finishes. 

 

Now I've got to 'know the bike' as per @larryblag, I don't have to rush to give it another wash (was filthy tho').

 

(considering it was 5C both times I've been out on it, how come I've collected tar spots on the downpipes and silencers?) 

I can recommend Autoglym tar remover. My French mate directed me (from the passenger seat) to go past a mile of roadworks (despite the barriers) near his house to save a 10km detour to get to our restaurant for lunch. They’d just finished the tarring ready fit the chip and scatter that afternoon (they’d all gone to lunch with him and his wife, so no witnesses😁). Our white Panda was a white and dirty brown Panda time we’d arrived for lunch. We can laugh about it now.......😁

Edited by slowboy

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×