fj_stuart

Ice

fj_stuart

A short run this afternoon on my CBF250. Bright but frosty. The main roads were ok but the back roads were icy. Worst bit was near Eaglesham where water streaming across the road had frozen solid.

DSCF0814

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Tel

I'm glad you spotted that before you reached it Stuart; that wouldn't have been nice!

sams700

Well done for spotting it.

Did you walk across or do a u turn?

Graham

...that's pretty much what my back lane looks like to get to the street!

fj_stuart
15 minutes ago, sams700 said:

Well done for spotting it.

Did you walk across or do a u turn?

I was taking it very easy because the road before this was frosty. I had passed it previously but had to turn back because the ford beyond this was closed due to flooding. It was so slippery that walking on it was tricky.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

listener
2 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

Worst bit was near Eaglesham where water streaming across the road had frozen solid.

That''s a water treatment plant isn't it?

I hope you gave the bike a good scrub with wire-brush and Dettol when you got home! :lol:

fj_stuart
7 minutes ago, listener said:

That''s a water treatment plant isn't it?

I hope you gave the bike a good scrub with wire-brush and Dettol when you got home! :lol:

The water looked like it was running off the fields, across the road and into the plant. Around the corner are the barriers that were closed to prevent access to the ford.

• Like 1

rjp996

surprised you could even get off the bike with that much ice.... that feeling when you put your foot down and it slips on frosty ground, amplified there....

• Like 1

Empty_Ten

Squeaky bum time.......

listener

BBC announcer: "At eight this evening we have a new program for you, 'Biking On Ice', where competitors try to cross a twenty yard slick of frozen road on their motorbikes without falling on their backsides.

And later this evening we have another new program, 'Fix It, Fudge It, F*ck It', where the losers in 'Biking On Ice' will try to fix their broken bikes armed only with a lump hammer."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

alhendo1

Ice is my problem. ...the minor roads from my house are always covered in ice or frost and once formed I don't have a clear path to the gritted main road ...my bikes haven't been out the garage since the middle of December. ..it's not worth the risk of binning them. The forecast is for more freezing weather so no trips work for me on the bike. The first chance I get they're ready for action😅

Hickky

Down in the soft south the most common exposure to ice is in the bottom of my gin and tonic. You can find it under the slice of lemon. (Lime is too trendy to accompany my Tanquerry gin), hic!

• Like 3

listener
7 hours ago, Hickky said:

Down in the soft south the most common exposure to ice is in the bottom of my gin and tonic. You can find it under the slice of lemon. (Lime is too trendy to accompany my Tanquerry gin), hic!

Be careful; mixing that kind of 'ice' with riding a bike can also cause loss of vertical stability! :beers: :lol:

listener
11 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

Ice is my problem. ...the minor roads from my house are always covered in ice or frost and once formed I don't have a clear path to the gritted main road ...

Similar issue with me, although I have had regular runs out to the supermarket when the conditions have eased.

I live on a slope (it drops about 20m over 200m). Add to that the full-width speed bumps that taper at the gutters, potholes/cracks and a pronounced camber and you have a recipe for a lot of pain (physical and financial).

alhendo1
10 hours ago, listener said:

Similar issue with me, although I have had regular runs out to the supermarket when the conditions have eased.

I live on a slope (it drops about 20m over 200m). Add to that the full-width speed bumps that taper at the gutters, potholes/cracks and a pronounced camber and you have a recipe for a lot of pain (physical and financial).

Yes,better safe than sorry....

Xactly
On 13/01/2021 at 02:16, Hickky said:

Err, so what’s Tanquerry gin then, if it’s not trendy? Actually, what is it anyway?

Hickky

39 minutes ago, Xactly said:

Err, so what’s Tanquerry gin then, if it’s not trendy? Actually, what is it anyway?

Tanqueray gin (don't quote me on spelling) is an old London gin that's been in production since 1830 and can hardly be seen as a trendy upstart gin like Bombay Sapphire or Sipsmith. Actually Plymouth gin (the one if you make pink gin) and Booths are old British brands as well. Booths was my fathers favourite gin, but he preferred Grouse whisky (he hated Teachers).

Tanqueray comes in two strengths, standard, 43.1% alcohol and No10 @ 47.3%. No 10 is best for a dry Martini or a gin and French. In contrast, Gordons gin is 37.5%, OK for a g&t if you've only got supermarket tonic, but if you have fever tree or Yorkshire tonic, then Tanqueray gin makes sense. Because of the trendy nature of gin, Tanqueray also make an indian style gin (Rangpur) or Orange infused (don't ask me to spell that one).

Of course it is distilled in that quaint market town of Basildon, Essex in the same factory as Gordons!

Xactly

Thanks for the explanation; I had thought it was one of the many craft gins that abound after they changed the law in distilling gin. We have a small gin distillery near us; it’s not really my tipple.