Stan

150/70 (an unexpected Woooo Hoooo)

Stan

I needed a new "Road 5" after noticing a couple of nails in the rear before my MOT.

The shop only had a 150/70

Just pulling away from the shop into the first traffic light I noticed it is soooooo much more agile, the bike is like a 500 (I can't believe the difference)

I'm all smiles because I was going to bin the bike for something lighter because the weight on a busy London commute was becoming a menace

Being able to throw it around means I can actually start bonding with the bike

(goodbye Autotrader)

• Like 2

Defender
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I needed a new "Road 5" after noticing a couple of nails in the rear before my MOT.

Just pulling away from the shop into the first traffic light I noticed it is soooooo much more agile, the bike is like a 500 (I can't believe the difference)

I'm all smiles because I was going to bin the bike for something lighter because the weight on a busy London commute was becoming a menace

(goodbye Autotrader)

That's interesting, what tyre did it replace and how well worn was it?

I ask that because unless we have a puncture and have to replace our tyres, we tend to replace them when they are towards or at the end of their useful life, so we're comparing old against new, so there should be a noticeable improvement?

I would think that a 150/70 will have a smaller foot print than the standard/original sized 160/60, but there are others on here far better qualified than me to comment on that.

MatBin
3 hours ago, Stan said:

(goodbye Autotrader)

You might want to tell your insurance co if that's not a standard size, bstds will use anything to refute a claim.

Stan

It was a 160/60 Road 5 with about 2K on it

I replaced because of the nails. To be honest, being able to flip it about is only relevant for a city biker.

When I look back I found the 160/60 was like steering a tanker compared with this tyre.... ie. the 150/70 is an improvement when ducking and diving amongst traffic

(actually just saw this which indicates it's the other way round ie. a 150/70 squashes out a larger contact patch)

• Like 1

MatBin
1 hour ago, Defender said:

That's interesting, what tyre did it replace and how well worn was it?

I ask that because unless we have a puncture and have to replace our tyres, we tend to replace them when they are towards or at the end of their useful life, so we're comparing old against new, so there should be a noticeable improvement?

I would think that a 150/70 will have a smaller foot print than the standard/original sized 160/60, but there are others on here far better qualified than me to comment on that.

I didn't find that when replacing Avons on my Triumph 955's, bike felt exactly the same before and after a new tyre, never had that on any other bike, and I replaced at least 3 rear tyres, so it wasn't a one off fluke, very odd.

• Like 1

Stan

this tyre has a different profile than OEM