Front sprocket

davebike

Well I today done what I been doing on bikes fro 20 years  At  10k miles I swaped the front sprocket 

Yes I know it will viberat a bit for a few 100 miles but I found or think I have on the last 3 or 4 bikes that a swap seems to help chain life My theory is the front sprocket wares faster than any other component in the drive system and I think when worn add to chain ware   To me a sprocket is a dozern quid and a few mins to fit so I go for it 

I seemed to work on two CB500's (1990's bikes) and the Fazer 600 so the NC is in good company

• Like 2
jeremyr62

Can you actually see the wear on the front sprocket when you take it off?

Slowboy
1 hour ago, jeremyr62 said:

Can you actually see the wear on the front sprocket when you take it off?

When I do mine at similar mileage to @davebike, yes I definitely can. The curve at the root of the teeth is offset.

• Like 1
Defender
11 hours ago, davebike said:

Well I today done what I been doing on bikes for 20 years  At  10k miles I swapped the front sprocket 

Yes I know it will vibrate a bit for a few 100 miles but I found or think I have on the last 3 or 4 bikes that a swap seems to help chain life My theory is the front sprocket wares faster than any other component in the drive system and I think when worn add to chain ware   To me a sprocket is a dozen quid and a few mins to fit so I go for it 

I seemed to work on two CB500's (1990's bikes) and the Fazer 600 so the NC is in good company

You're spot on there Dave, on cycle multi speed cassettes it's always the smallest one that wares out first, which makes sense as it's doing the most work especially when they are very small, 10 teeth or so.

Edited by Defender
Spelling!

Interesting - not to by coy or question your maintenance, i was in the habit of replacing both sprockets and chain simultaneously. Never considering front sprocket only.  Appreciate you sharing your results though. 

• Like 1
Thosoneill

Having never changed chain and sprockets on a motorcycle I’m surprised that you would do this at ten thousand miles - if I clean and regularly lube these components I’d hopefully expect more than 10K out of a set

And having been home and back in to work  a few times

Yes you can see some  ware, slight hooking

and YES to bike is smoother at low speed  so I pleased 

now I hada  good look and a front tyre is on way !

The reason Thosoneill  for changing in not that it is worn out but changing befor it worn out  give a smoother ride and most important reduces chain ware so extending chain life

Not for you as paying to have it changed makes in not worth wile  I have a full workshop in fact make my living working on bikes

Slowboy
6 hours ago, Thosoneill said:

Having never changed chain and sprockets on a motorcycle I’m surprised that you would do this at ten thousand miles - if I clean and regularly lube these components I’d hopefully expect more than 10K out of a set

You will get more than 10k, I got nearly 27k out of my first chain set on my NC, but the front sprocket was mullered. My CRF got a front sprocket change at 12k and it was much smoother as a result. A front sprocket is cheap and definitely improves smoothness, if not chain life.

Of course if you’re a serial bike swapper, it won’t matter at all😂

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

I've read on this forum from a very knowledgeable rider/engineers that use to swap the front sprocket over to reduce chain wear and give a smoother ride. Is that a good idea?

Wedgepilot
7 hours ago, Thosoneill said:

I got over 20k out of the original chain and sprockets on my 700X. The front sprocket was getting pretty worn by then and a bit noisy.

I took it to Chiswick honda for a new chain and sprockets. While they were working on it, I got a phone call from them - was I sure I wanted the chain replaced? They couldn't see any wear at all on the chain and assumed it was fairly new! 

• Like 3
Grumpy old man
3 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

I got over 20k out of the original chain and sprockets on my 700X. The front sprocket was getting pretty worn by then and a bit noisy.

I took it to Chiswick honda for a new chain and sprockets. While they were working on it, I got a phone call from them - was I sure I wanted the chain replaced? They couldn't see any wear at all on the chain and assumed it was fairly new! 

My chain had tight links at 8000 it was wiped clean and lubricated after must rides but then again my tyres only last 6000 when you guys down South get 15000 from them🤔😉

Ps- My Avon Storms are still legal at 7500👍 just.

• Like 2
Wedgepilot
2 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

My chain had tight links at 8000 it was wiped clean and lubricated after must rides but then again my tyres only last 6000 when you guys down South get 15000 from them🤔😉

Ps- My Avon Storms are still legal at 7500👍 just.

Are they the XM version? I'm thinking of trying Storms next. My mileage is (was) all commuting, so I usually get about 7000 from a rear tyre before it squares off.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
1 minute ago, Wedgepilot said:

Are they the XM version? I'm thinking of trying Storms next. My mileage is (was) all commuting, so I usually get about 7000 from a rear tyre before it squares off.

Yes they are the XM. and they are the longest lasting tyre I've had but then again I've only had pr4's before which last me around 5500. one of the best things about the tyre is it's so much quieter than the pr4.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

I had Storms on my 2 Sprint 955, about 4 sets, commuting, loved them even when squared off.

• Thanks 1
Thosoneill
On 06/02/2021 at 07:16, davebike said:

Not for you as paying to have it changed makes in not worth wile  I have a full workshop in fact make my living working on bikes

Dave when the time comes to replace these items I think that I possess the skill and acumen to do that myself 😉

poldark

Can I ask if the OEM front sprocket is rubber backed as JT sprockets offer the 17T option with or without.

For about a quid more I'd go with RB, but just wanted to be sure there's no reason not to?

• Like 1