Simpleton's query

baben

I know, this should be simple but it is me. How can I tell whether my battery is being charged as against just being a knackered battery. Bike lives on an optimate but today, after a ride I just got  a click when I tried to restart it. Bike is 2017 and only has 7,000 miles on the clock.

KingJames

14 odd volts across the battery terminals when the engine is running should be readable, around 12 something when engine stopped.

Check the connections are not loose. Batteries can fail after quite a short time, and sometimes show up as OK on smart chargers, but are still on the way out.

• Like 1
Johnnie Mototrans
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Check the connections are not loose. Batteries can fail after quite a short time, and sometimes show up as OK on smart chargers, but are still on the way out.

I bought a new Lidel smart charger a few months ago as my Halfords model had gone haywire.

I had several spare and dubious batteries to play with.

As you say a couple showed as being fully recovered when they were actually dud.

Spindizzy

Peak chargers only help so much. Even a duff battery can give good voltage but have lost near all its capacity and ability to deliver starting current. Batterys kept topped up last longer but it's not magic suspended animation.

Baby is probably the most cheaply built motorcycle from Japan but it does not pretend to be anything else! Battery gets a lot of abuse - heated gear and grips etc. I shall have a look tomorrow - hope it is just a dead battery as otherwise who knows what is going on?

Slowboy
1 hour ago, baben said:

Baby is probably the most cheaply built motorcycle from Japan but it does not pretend to be anything else! Battery gets a lot of abuse - heated gear and grips etc. I shall have a look tomorrow - hope it is just a dead battery as otherwise who knows what is going on?

See if you can find out how many watts each of those is drawing. It might be that the alternator is near its limit. From what I can find It puts out 289 watts to drive everything. Don’t know what the core load is.

grips draw say 1.5 amps say at 14 v so 14x1.5 = 21w

Jacket say similar so another 21w

only an extra 42W

Headlight draws 55w, 

So that’s 97w accounted for.

don’t know what ignition, tail light, instruments, battery charging draws, but it won’t be a lot, say 100w at a guess

It looks like there should be enough electrons.......

• Like 1
listener
43 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Yes, but are there enough 'holes'? :whistle:

• Haha 2
Slowboy
Just now, listener said:

or are there too many electroffs.?

• Like 1
Rev Ken
Just now, listener said:

That's  when I lost it! I'm alright with valves and electrons, but transistors with holes going the wrong way.......:blink:

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, slowboy said:

See if you can find out how many watts each of those is drawing. It might be that the alternator is near its limit. From what I can find It puts out 289 watts to drive everything. Don’t know what the core load is.

grips draw say 1.5 amps say at 14 v so 14x1.5 = 21w

Jacket say similar so another 21w

only an extra 42W

Headlight draws 55w, 

So that’s 97w accounted for.

don’t know what ignition, tail light, instruments, battery charging draws, but it won’t be a lot, say 100w at a guess

I think that's likely to be the problem, particularly in the cold weather and with a 4 year old battery on a budget'ish bike. A new MotoBat will probably give you the edge

My Himalayan only puts out 220w (tinternet says so must be true) and I've noticed that with grips and Keis vest on highsih setting it is sometimes sluggish on the starter even when I only stop for a couple of minutes. I tried it without any heated kit switched on t'other day and it spun up a treat. It's probably not fitted with the best quality battery in the world so if it proves a problem I'll swap for a MotoBatt or perhaps Li (not sure on that) and see how that goes. Another option is a LED headlamp to saves a few watts but that could be more trouble than it's worth.

Failing that I'll have to go to the back up bike for Winter riding :D

I go for a battery test,  not charging voltage check,  but I would suspect battery, 3 years and fairly low miles   Yes batteries live longer with lots of use !

My stock R80RT would flatten the battery after a 2/3 days riding in town in winter, no extra heated items, just the standard fittings. There was a voltage regulator in the wiring that prevented the alternator from pushing any charge into the battery until the engine was doing 4000 rpm, swapped it out for Police spec one and swapped 'parking' light bulb for a higher wattage one so I didn't have to have main headlight on but could still be seen. Winter was always the worst time as I generally rode less enthusiasticly and used the low down torque so didn't really spin the motor fast enough.

Had a similar problem with one of my Sprints in winter, less than optimum battery and not enough revs. Road home from work, 10 miles, had started fine, stopped for petrol mid way and wouldn't then re-start.

Edited by MatBin
jeremyr62

Old bikes were great.....

Grumpy old man

Hi @baben 

I don't understand electrical things so I'm with you. Wouldn't it be nice if some one could do an online  or preferably face to face beginner guide to motorcycle electrics. Anyone up North capable of running a course? Of course after lockdown. I'd even be willing  to travel South and camp for a week for an intensive course.

Providing it wasn't too expensive.

Good morning gentlemen. Well, I found my old multimeter which has not been used for twelve years or more, if ever. Bike has been on optimate all night and charger shows green. Hmm, reading across terminals is erm .02V. Well that cannot be right since the motor started up quite happily and lights etc are on. And across the terminals with motor running, erm, 0.2V. so it's off to South American river for a new multimeter.......

• Haha 2
Johnnie Mototrans

Did you check the battery in your multi meter?

• Haha 1

Are you sure it’s set to the right range, probably 20v? FWIW I think the battery has probably had it. Leaving a knackered battery on charge props it up. That’s why I only put mine on Optimate once a month.

bahnstormer

If a new battery is the order of the day, I can recommend Motobatt :thumbsup:.  The bonus (for me) is that they have 2 positive and 2 negative terminals, making it much easier to attach all the accessories neatly.

• Like 1

New multimeter on order, arriving tomorrow - will confirm dead battery and then get a motobatt assuming it fits.

1 hour ago, bahnstormer said:

If a new battery is the order of the day, I can recommend Motobatt :thumbsup:.  The bonus (for me) is that they have 2 positive and 2 negative terminals, making it much easier to attach all the accessories neatly.

Yes, Motobatt for me too, for the same reason + they have high cranking amps so spin over the engine more quickly. The only downside is that they do tend to just die when they’ve had enough. 

Thosoneill
On 04/02/2021 at 10:30, Xactly said:

Are you sure it’s set to the right range, probably 20v? FWIW I think the battery has probably had it. Leaving a knackered battery on charge props it up. That’s why I only put mine on Optimate once a month.

I have the battery permanently connected to the battery - am I doing something wrong 

PoppetM
37 minutes ago, Thosoneill said:

I have the battery permanently connected to the battery - am I doing something wrong 

I am assuming you meant battery permanently connected to the Optimate, and likewise I am doing the same and having pretty green lights. I am guessing I will find out when I try to turn the bike on....

• Like 1

I have always kept my bikes permanently on an Optimate but at the end of the day, age and abuse will finish it off. The Versys battery is not a well known make - I tried a Google search on the nonsensical name in the owner's hand book and came up empty!

• Like 1