Simpleton's query

baben

Slowboy
46 minutes ago, baben said:

I have always kept my bikes permanently on an Optimate but at the end of the day, age and abuse will finish it off. The Versys battery is not a well known make - I tried a Google search on the nonsensical name in the owner's hand book and came up empty!

I’ve always been happy with MotoBatt’s products, in a number of bikes. Remember the OEM one was supplied by the lowest bidder...........😁

• Thanks 1

Ok, so this morning I finally got my new multimeter, This is the situation.

Ignition off - 12.5 V

Ignition on, engine off - 11.8V

Lights come on and pump primes or whatever that whirry sound is but when I press the start button I get click click from the innards of the bike. 

Does this confirm a dead battery? Asking as a Yorkshireman who does not like wasting money. ( Am in a state of shock and awe at the cost of the new front door we are having fitted on Monday - checked but it is not gold plated or anything)

poldark

Best to also see what's going into the battery with the engine running (circa 14.5V) to be sure it's being charged on the go.

53 minutes ago, poldark said:

Best to also see what's going into the battery with the engine running (circa 14.5V) to be sure it's being charged on the go.

Good point. I will put on the optimate for an hour or so and see if it will start.

Yep, starts ok after an hour on the charger - showing 14 volts so charging ok. Motobatt ordered.

• Like 1

Nothing is ever simple is it? The battery comes with four posts but the kit only includes the terminal mounts for two of them. Being dim it took me some time to realise what was going on - I'll explain how dim I am next time we meet. Anyway, two more mounts ordered. Thought I was quite clever - used cable ties through the old battery's posts and was able to lift it out easily. The old battery weighed 3kg, the new one weighs 3.5kg. Not sure of the significance of that.:oldfart:.

It’s got more cranking amps; heavy little blighters them...

Finally got the extra terminal bits from that auction site, dropped battery in, wired up - and everything works! Need to reset the clock though - must look through the manual. The rubber retaining strap came adrift and there is no way I can get it back in without dismantling half the interior so I will rely on the fact it is wedged in pretty tight beneath the seat.

• Like 1
Johnnie Mototrans

Picture a thumbs up emoji here.