No Electrics Frustration

Staningrimsby

Staningrimsby

Hey Guys,

I really hope you can help, my 2013 700x was stood for a couple of weeks in the garage and not on an optimizer.

I got it out the other day to change my heated grips and usually check its OK before I start but never this time, after fitting the grips (that work fine) I tried to start my bike but have no power at all to the dash, no fuel pump, horn or lights etc.

I have had the battery on the optimate which says all is well, I have a good reading over the terminals with a multimeter and have checked the small fuse box to the left of the battery (all fuses are fine).

I then checked the main 30amp fuse which was ok, the multimeter shows power going to the fuse and I also have power on the terminals at the back of the fuse which I presume goes straight to the ignition.

Not being an electrician myself I'm not sure if there is anything else I can check, is there another fuse located anywhere I can check ??

Grumpy old man

Following. Good luck.

It sounds to me that it’s something you’ve done changing the heated grips. Are they wired directly to the battery and, if so, are you sure that the main positive and negative leads in the bike harness have been connected and are making a good connection? I ask because I know what  a PITA it can be trying to connect leads directly to the terminals. Obviously if your grips are connected elsewhere to a live feed then please disregard. Often when doing something with the electrics a failure of some other part of the system points to the work carried out...

• Like 1

The other possibility is the ignition switch. Have a poke around there with it switched on..

Have you had it started since it was laid up ?  

Put your multimeter across the battery terms and turn the ignition on. Now what is the battery voltage ?  If it's the same then then it looks like a poor connection on the battery,

If the battery is knackered then it will drop right off. 

As already said check the battery connections, They can be ok when nothing is switched on but not supply any current when things are switched ,

Remember the earth is just as important as the +ve

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Just a thought, Kill switch!

Me too, but I doubt it’s the culprit in this case as everything except the newly fitted heated grips is dead. The fact that the grips work suggests to me that it isn’t the battery; it’s either a connection, a fuse or break in a wire.

...or the ignition switch.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

have you had any success with diagnosing your problem.

fingers crossed