Rear Axle stucked

Andre K

Slowboy
1 minute ago, MatBin said:

Isn't that what pdi is supposed to be? Isn't that what we pay for?

Is this a recent thing, I don't recall any of my new bikes needing this, albeit a long time ago.

You’d think, wouldn’t you, but the pressure to get bikes out the door at some of the big dealers is immense on the guys in the workshop, so their assumption is “that’s what the guys who build them are paid to do”.
I bought a Triumph in 1998 from Fowler’s in Bristol. That got and needed similar treatment to that @Andy m suggested above, and it had its first service there. Having been forewarned, I took my spanner’s with me and sure enough they were needed. I made a point of resetting the bow tight chain in front of the service reception door. 😈. They never saw that bike or me again.

That sort of service level lives on sadly, not everywhere thank goodness, but if you find a good dealer, look after them. Though I’ve never used them, there are enough recommendations on here to suggest the likes of Kent Motorcycles Honda are good people. I can also highly recommend Torbay Honda in Newton Abbot, possibly one of the last old fashioned solus Honda dealers, with outstanding service.

The PDI  seems to be am excuse to charge to do very little  sadley

In the Workshop we often losses chaines as some tyre places and dealers thing as tight as possiable is OK

My Grom RIP came from a major Honda dealer new  front tyre 18psi required 29 rear tyre 19 ppsi required 29  engine oil off dip stick  went to ride it would not pull away cluch cable over tight  !  and aledgly it had been road tested   Lyer Lyer pants on fire  If I done or not done work like that when I worked for a honda dealer my boss would have reamed me !

• Thanks 1
Andy m
50 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Isn't that what pdi is supposed to be? Isn't that what we pay for?

Is this a recent thing, I don't recall any of my new bikes needing this, albeit a long time ago.

PDI is what it says- an Inspection. 

What they view as a fail and what they do about it then comes into play. This is why I will rip into service providers who tell me they have three inspectors watching each employee and two inspectors watching them. When we all look at it, say "" Yep, that's ****ed, somebody should fix it" we can change the name to British Leyland and look for a new job. 

They don't like grease because it gets the safety elves agitated. Risk of talking to the employees lawyers every day vs a few hacked off customers. 

They can save a lot by giving a 19 year old a check list on a tablet and calling him the PDI manager. Trouble is, can he influence anyone skilled enough to grease that axle or put air in that tyre when they are all working at the 90% capacity the accountants like? The old school style of the senior mechanic doing PDI is viewed as waste. 

The correct approach is an axle that doesn't need grease and a tyre that stays at the pressure set by the robot at the factory, but they don't seem to view this as worth the investment, probably because we fix it ourselves or pay them to. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Thanks 1
Rev Ken
6 hours ago, MikeBike said:

You don't need to download anything (and best not imho) just go to https://postimages.org/ and Upload image

What have I done wrong?

23032010051.jpg

If I'm told it is easy I know it isn't!:BangHead:

Oh it worked when I posted it!:console: (10 years ago with my CBF1000)

Next time I might make the picture even bigger.

Thanks for your suggestion.:flowers:

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1
MikeBike
10 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

What have I done wrong?

23032010051.jpg

If I'm told it is easy I know it isn't!:BangHead:

Dont know - you need to click on "Direct Link" after uploading. Assume image was larger...

Here's Ted's help topic on the subject

Edited by MikeBike