Tyre Repair option Fortnine

Spindizzy

Spindizzy

Might already have been posted, but if not here it is!

What a moron that guy is.

He wasted over 9 minutes trying to make humorous sexual innuendos and stroke his own ego as a "YouTuber".

He could have shown his puncture test and said rope plugs were the best in 90 seconds.

Spindizzy
8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What a moron that guy is.

He wasted over 9 minutes trying to make humorous sexual innuendos and stroke his own ego as a "YouTuber".

He could have shown his puncture test and said rope plugs were the best in 90 seconds.

Having watched Ryan Fortnine a lot and knowing his style you would realise he was being intentionally ironic.

Watch his other stuff, then watch this again and you will understand.

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 5
36 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

Watch his other stuff, then watch this again and you will understand.

Oh, believe me, I have. 

I guess he just rubs me the wrong way.

If one Google's Ryan Kluftinger they will see he's definitely off the wall.

fj_stuart
2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well only for a roadside repair. The patch plug was by far the strongest and the only one I’d consider permanent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spindizzy

I have the sticky rope and the plugs. Having watched this I will ditch the plugs and get another set of the rope/glue type so its in both bikes.

I carry several CO2 canisters, never had to use any yet (famous last words) but I am happier with the glue and rope having seen this. I do recall someone saying twist the handle 90deg before withdrawing as it makes the rope form more of a plug.

• Like 1

I have used mushroom plugs for years bike & car they have worked fine for a small hole, no use for large, like the reaming Ryan did to his tyre then only the sticky rope ones would work.

Horses for courses.

Grumpy old man
13 hours ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

I like him.

+1

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Newbie alert!!!

You thread the string through the inserting tool, push the string through then pull the tool out, why doesn't the string come out if it's through the eye or does it cut the string or is there something even cleverer than that?🤔

Ps- I have the mushroom type and always thought there was some sort of glue on the face of the bung  obviously not.

Edited by Grumpy old man
Empty_Ten
17 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Newbie alert!!!

You thread the string through the inserting tool, push the string through then pull the tool out, why doesn't the string come out if it's through the eye or does it cut the string or is there something even cleverer than that?🤔

Ps- I have the mushroom type and always thought there was some sort of glue on the face of the bung  obviously not.

the eyelet on the tool you thread the rope plug through has a split in the end.  So when the plug is in the the tyre, the two claws of the eyelet stretch around the plug so you can remove the tool but leave the plug in there.

With regards to the plugs,  I’ve plugged 3 rear tyres with the rope type plugs and they’ve been absolutely fine for me using on the road.   On 2 occasions I got a new rear ASAP.

On one other occasion I kept using it and commuting for over 3000 miles with no problems, including at progressive speeds at times.

Edited by Empty_Ten
  • Thanks 1
jeremyr62

What qualifies him to tell us old farts how to best run and own motorbikes, that's what I'd like to know. I've got toenails older than him.

And yeah I use mushroom plugs. They can fail but so what, all part of the journey. 

• Haha 2
Andy m

I not sure I follow the logic of his test on this one. There is 30+ PSI pushing on the area of the internal patch. The internal patch pushed back with 30 lbf/133N before the pointy tool penetranted it, so is about 1 square inch (looks about that) . The smaller mushroom has an area of half a square inch according to what he measures, well no **** who'd have guessed. The string isn't a pressure seal, its close to zero area but mechanically retained by the adhesive. A cork working on its wall rather than a sink plug working on its face. 

What he's testing is what he shows, a pointy object striking the exact point of the repair at the time of repair. Another nail the same day, same spot, bad luck lottery level stuff. 

Over time the three patches change in different ways. The internal patch and mushroom will both have the stem heated and it will integrate with the tread. They are invisible in 2000 miles. The string may or may not do that because of the adhesive. Old string repairs generally seem to crumble as the glue goes hard by heating . The thing likely to drive a plug out seems more likely to be a bigger object making the tread flex or flex making a round hole oval. A bigger surface plug still covers an oval hole while a cylinder of hard adhesive may not expand to fill it. Both plug tyres are supported by the internal air pressure while the string is still a glued in cork. 

I've used all three methods. Mushrooms and internal repairs all lasted the life of the tyre. My string repairs did too but having seen one that turned to dust I never trusted string as much. String and co2 cartridges have use by dates, purely mechanical mushrooms and a compressor do not. 

Andy

• Like 4

I've had success with the mushroom type, using adhesive. In my experience they either work, in which case they last the life of the tyre, or they don't, in which case you know immediately that the hole is too big. I see no reason to change. I have CO2 canisters but I also carry a small electric compressor that uses a cigar lighter socket that I have wired, fused, direct to the battery. So, CO2 first, then compressor. Works for me.

Spindizzy
42 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The string isn't a pressure seal, its close to zero area but mechanically retained by the adhesive. A cork working on its wall rather than a sink plug working on its face. 

I agree with most of what you replied. But if you add rubber cement to the string (not everyone does) does that not form a kind of pressure seal as its bonded to itself and the tyre by the adhesive with a bulge where it forms on the inside. I wondered in his video whether it was cured fully as the string isn't the same as a mushroom patch that's applied semi dry as contact adhesive. Probably still a bit wet.

I would happily use string but I also have a proper mushroom patch seals to use with tyre off after getting home.

Edited by Spindizzy

Many, many years ago when i was a dispatch rider, I, and many others, carried a self tapping screw for use as  a temporary-get-you-home plug! I've used stop and go plugs with good effect, but I find you need a lot of grease/lube to get them through the applicator thing and into the hole. I like to fit a proper mushroom plug, but I always buff the inside of the tyre so the glue sticks properly.

Andy m
59 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

I agree with most of what you replied. But if you add rubber cement to the string (not everyone does) does that not form a kind of pressure seal as its bonded to itself and the tyre by the adhesive with a bulge where it forms on the inside. I wondered in his video whether it was cured fully as the string isn't the same as a mushroom patch that's applied semi dry as contact adhesive. Probably still a bit wet.

I would happily use string but I also have a proper mushroom patch seals to use with tyre off after getting home.

A mechanical pressure seal is just that, the seal is compressed in the right direction into conforming so fills the gap. If the gap changes but enough  compression remains the seal remains. Like a tap washer pressed by a piston in the valve type assembly type thing. The interior wall of the tyre seems a predictable enough surface to seal onto and the air in the tyre always pushes outwards. 

Rubber cement flows into a gap so conforms right then. When the gap changes does it flow again? Probably  not always. The string is rubbery so will try to conform, but the bulged head isn't deliberately shaped so the pressure inside causes the compression to be in a direction where a suitable surface can seal. The effect will be there but how much is unknown IMHO. Adhesives can additionally (and if set) stop a mechanical seal conforming. You'd hope rubber cement would stay soft, something like super glue would be awful. Its a cork, reliant on the internal forces in the bung, with an element of the fizz in the bottle making it expand as much as pop out. Get a cork moving and it pops. 

Andy

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Just been watching 'Del Boy' he reckons the glue is a Vulcanising compound that has an acid affect that Vulcanises the rubber string into the tyre so then by rights the rubber strip melts into the tyre and becomes one.

Is that feasible?

• Like 1
Rocker66

I watched Fortnine for the first time yesterday evening and don't think I will rush to do so again. I found him weired.

Andy m

The gunk is rubber dust dissolved in toluene, acetone, chloroform, something nasty to rubber but volatile. These do to rubber what acid does to metals, breaks chain molecules but then evaporate. The dissolved rubber is left intermingled in the damage and when heated will tie themselves up so much they may as well be welded. It's microscopic tangled knitting, but the acid analogy works.

The thing with this process is that the ingredients in the gunk will also react with the rubber dust, the copper in that nail etc. The internal patch is more controlled and the rub down and acetone wipe is probably as important as the gunk being fresh.

Watch the video again. Once you notice Delboy has a bolt missing from his chain guard the rest of the video might as well be in Swahili :dielaugh::dielaugh:

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Grumpy old man
14 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The gunk is rubber dust dissolved in toluene, acetone, chloroform, something nasty to rubber but volatile. These do to rubber what acid does to metals, breaks chain molecules but then evaporate. The dissolved rubber is left intermingled in the damage and when heated will tie themselves up so much they may as well be welded. It's microscopic tangled knitting, but the acid analogy works.

The thing with this process is that the ingredients in the gunk will also react with the rubber dust, the copper in that nail etc. The internal patch is more controlled and the rub down and acetone wipe is probably as important as the gunk being fresh.

Watch the video again. Once you notice Delboy has a bolt missing from his chain guard the rest of the video might as well be in Swahili :dielaugh::dielaugh:

Andy

If you look at the swing arm there's no lug for the bolt to go into but it's secured further along.  Looking at the bike it looks to me like a project to stop it from being stolen. I've watched a few of his vids and he seems to know what he's doing but that's coming from me.

fj_stuart

A while back I posted on my (now defunct) blog about getting a puncture on my CBF250. I installed a plug to get me home (using an ancient kit, Metzeler maybe) and did a patch plug repair later.

I had to install another patch plug on the CBF recently and notice something. Both tyres were Avon Roadriders but the newer one was the Mk II version. It has a patterned profile on the inside of the tyre (for some odd reason, similar to that in Fortnine’s video) this made getting a good seal on the patch more difficult.

https://fjstuart.blogspot.com/2015/10/puncture.html

a%252304.JPG

jeremyr62

If the rubber glue is classed as vulcanizing then if I remember my A level chemistry it has sulphur compounds that link with the polymer chains of the rubber tyre. So yeah, two becomes one as the Spice Girls said.

• Like 3