Chain tension

Grumpy old man

Steve Case

I adjusted my chain in March 2020, Its been fine since then...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Steve Case

May I just add here....

These bikes just don't wear the chains, I adjusted mine in March last year, then realised I'd probably not needed it and adjusted it back.

I religiously check (I do it on a Sunday :angel:) for 30mm to 40mm of slack while on the centerstand, and I clean the underside of the bike and wash the chain with water if any salt or grit has gone down.

I must be doing something right (for once), as I've now covered 9000miles on the bike with one (maybe unecessary) chain adjustment.

And may I say this is us righteous DCT dudes, not you wobbly clutch slippers!

Rocker66
7 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

SIGH!!!

• Haha 1
Steve Case
Xactly
9 hours ago, Steve Case said:

You may, but I reserve the right to remind you of it when, in a few more thousand miles, you post asking for help regarding why your DCT is stuck in gear or neutral and won’t start. Then you’ll have to do the usual ritual involving the sacrifice of a few virgins and walking thrice round a mulberry bush on a wet Tuesday afternoon to invoke the forgiveness of the Spirits of Auto for skipping the additional oil filter change you owners must perform.........I’ll remain a wobbly clutch slipper (that’s me, not the clutch), content in the knowledge that it never goes wrong and really is a delight to use.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
MatBin
31 minutes ago, Xactly said:

........I’ll remain a wobbly clutch slipper (that’s me, not the clutch), content in the knowledge that it never goes wrong and really is a delight to use.

😉

That's put the mockers on your clutch then :)

I have my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't, well, the ones on my left hand anyway.

Edited by MatBin
  • Haha 2
Andy m

Honda apparently "improved" the CB500 with a slippy clutch. 🤔🤔🤔

My last chain adjustment was 4000 miles ago when the new tyres went on 👍

Andy

• Like 1
Rocker66
32 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Honda apparently "improved" the CB500 with a slippy clutch. 🤔🤔🤔

My last chain adjustment was 4000 miles ago when the new tyres went on 👍

Andy

I certainly find the slipper clutch an improvement just because it makes the operation much lighter.

• Like 1
Steve Case

Aha, I'll wait and see on clutch perils... But I have to say the number of reported issues with what is a brand new technology is is surprisingly low and a long way short of what the 'reliable' 'reputable' hem hem 4 wheel shopping trolley manufacturers have had to deal with.

I suspect any NC that is not ragged or revved hard between gears will get astounding chain life.

And on the less plus side, its lucky the chain doesn't need replaced more often as wheel removal is one Japanese answer to water boarding!

MatBin

Ducati and Triumph single side arms sorted that, didn't Honda have a single sided on the VFR?

My BMW R80RT had a single sided arm too.

Edited by MatBin
Spindizzy
On 03/04/2021 at 12:15, Steve Case said:

DCT. Dedicated Chain Tinkerer.

And you thought it was about gearboxes  :ahappy:

• Haha 2