Correct coolant type help needed

Steveg

Hi 

Just went to local Honda dealer to buy some coolant to top up 

They only sell Castrol Motorcycle Coolant , can't see if its silicate free no mention on label 

link to the Castrol Mototcycle Coolant they stock  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/51748

Can't see anything on castrol's data sheet 

Honda dealer said that is the coolant that they use in all of their Honda servicing all models 

I not sure its the right one as it does not say silicate free .......

Noticed that Castrol do a RADICOOL SF  , data sheet says its silicate free but Honda dealer only sells and stocks the Castrol Motorcycle Coolant 

Any help appreciated 

Cheers Steve 

Problem is I thought not using silicate free can cause damage to water pump ?

Confused why a main honda dealer would not sell  / use Honda coolant anyway ?

Have emailed Castrol re specs I still think as Castrol sells a SF version of coolant ( Silicate Free) RADICOOL-SF must mean the standard coolant must contain silicates ???? 

I'm not sure if the silcate free is a big issue or not on water pump damage , but always like to put recommended spec in 

Cheers Steve

Grumpy old man

Is this silicate free?

February 13, 2017

No, please follow the link below for the silicate free coolant: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/237201 Kind regards SB

Q&A from the sportsbike shop link you supplied

I wanted coolant and the local Honda dealer sold me the yellow Motul stuff and said that's what they used, when I checked in the small print it wasn't sillicate free.

I now use the OAT coolant from halfords when I do a coolant change.

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Thanks 1

If the above correct that Honda main dealer is using the wrong type of coolant for servicing ?????

Grumpy old man
1 minute ago, Steveg said:

If the above correct that Honda main dealer is using the wrong type of coolant for servicing ?????

See my edit

The dealer probably gets a better profit margin from Castrol than Honda. Basically if it's motorcycle coolant it's silicate free.

The silicate in car coolant damage the water pumps in bike engines and cause leaks.

Grumpy old man
1 minute ago, chris said:

The dealer probably gets a better profit margin from Castrol than Honda. Basically if it's motorcycle coolant it's silicate free.

Don't think that is correct.

• Like 1
trisaki

Change your  honda dealer - honda specify non silicate coolant  from at least cx500 days - more profitable using Castrol I suspect  

• Like 1
MikeBike

RTFM says

Recommended Coolant
Pro Honda HP is a pre-mixed solution of
antifreeze and distilled water.
Concentration:
50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water
A concentration of antifreeze below 40% will
not provide proper corrosion and cold
temperature protection.
A concentration of up to 60% will provide
better protection in colder climates.
NOTICE
Using coolant not specified for aluminium engines or
ordinary tap water can cause corrosion.

Have a look here too with soneone having the same experience and comments..

https://bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=984

Just checked my 16k service and it says Honda Coolant.

probably like https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/generic-accessories/part_32122/

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies 

Obviously the Honda dealer does not RTFM ......

Whats the likelyhood of water pump issues if you run non silicate free coolant ? 

Will look at getting some Honda Coolant 

Cheers Steve 

Spindizzy

If I was changing antifreeze I would use this. Ticks all the boxes

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/transport-antifreeze-and-coolant/2731-smith-and-allan-cooltech-53-anti-freeze-antifreeze/

I would mix it with deionised water.

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good to hear smith  and allen make a suitable anti freeze.i have been using prestone as it claims you can use it in any motor(a bit vague regarding bikes) so i use it in my car and bike regardless of what is in there already.

i will be buying from smith and allen for my next coolant change on the nc . i have said in previous posts about them being a british manufacturer of lubricants and i have been buying engine oil and brake fluid for some time now with no problems and excellent delivery times

Steve, if you really want to buy honda coolant for peace of mind i originally purchased some from david silver spares ,they were the cheapest although that was quite a long time ago

• Thanks 1

Go to a Honda automotive dealer.

Buy the Type 2 premix (blue).

It's cheaper than the powersports stores, at least here in Canada, and is the same stuff as the powersports, just a different container.

• Thanks 1
Empty_Ten
15 hours ago, Steveg said:

I’m curious about this.  Have you put this to them?  (Ie manual states SF coolant Yet the Castrol they recommended isn’t)  I’d like to know what their reply is?

consider me told though having seen the other posts about the manual specifying SF coolant.  I already use the castrol coolant in my MT10 so had some anyway and would’ve used that.    I shall have to get some SF free!

Luckily I’ve not had to top up yet.

steelhorseuk

Get mine from Halfords. Sorted!

Slowboy
14 hours ago, Steveg said:

Thanks for the replies 

Obviously the Honda dealer does not RTFM ......

Whats the likelyhood of water pump issues if you run non silicate free coolant ? 

Will look at getting some Honda Coolant 

Cheers Steve 

Steve, it actually starts to fail quite quickly as it damages the seals. Halfords and others sell silicate free coolant, either in ready to mix (I always use battery top up distilled water, not tap water) or premixed, which is easier.

If it doesn’t say it’s silicate free, I wouldn’t use it in my NC, or any other water cooled bike.

Halfords for me, they do OAT silicate-free coolant. As has been said, this is not a new issue and has been discussed previously on many other forums. The Halfords one I use needs changing every five years, which is another plus.
As for what Honda dealers use I’d be surprised if any of them use Honda products. When I bought my Crossrunner new I wanted a litre of oil of the type they used just in case I needed to top up. They supplied Silkolene. I was told that they used to use Castrol but the Silkolene rep threw in a few extra litres and was more reasonable on discounts for quantities delivered. Likewise Triumph changed from recommending Mobil 1 oil to Castrol. It’s the deal they get that influences what they recommend.
The key point is that it shouldn’t have silicates in it; it is abrasive and will damage the seal on the water pump in short order. BTW don’t be fooled by the colour. Red and blue can be mixed as long as the anti-freeze is of the same spec. I use Halfords simply because it meets the spec and is easier to just go and buy than the Honda product, which won’t be made by Honda anyway in all probability. There’s nothing unique in a liquid cooled Honda engine that necessitates “special” stuff.

• Thanks 1

Currently awaiting response from Castrol .

Honda dealer is saying there's not a problem with Castrol they raised it with Honda tech dept

I disagree and am awaiting Castrol response

Regards Steve

Grumpy old man

It seems a bit of a minefield, Motul recommends two types of coolant for the NC range only one is advertised as silicate free and when you put a search for silicate free coolant on the Motul web it only brings up the one. My local dealer sells the yellow and recommended the yellow which isn't the silicate free one, so, I went to Halfords :yes:

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/lubricants/recommendations/fbb8f1927f87177a2858c83c6ac26fde?model_id=6ba164e832c9b1d7&type_name=NC700XA+(2012-+)

• Like 1

When I changed mine I just got some local brand silicate free stuff, ok so far

Got response from Castrol technical department :-

We can confirm that the Castrol Motorcycle Coolant is silicate and nitrite free.

So all good have topped up only needed approx. 100ml 

Cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg
  • Like 1