Sign in to follow this  
rjp996

Battery Tender

rjp996

I've been reading up on battery tenders, as with lock down my bikes have gone from daily used to..... not very often.

The main differences seem to be the battery conditioning function and the low amp trickle that switches in and out depending on some threshold drop.

I'm unfortunately one of those people that like to make an informed decision  (thats my OCD) , and been readign up on CTEK and Optimate and was wondering if anyone had any experience / recommendations from personal experience to help me decide

Rocker66

Sue and I have been using optimates for years with absolutely no problems.

• Like 1

bigbird

I have 3 CTEK's and will only buy CTEK.

There is a reason that BMW and Mercedes only put CTEK maintainers on their cars that are sold in Canada.

• Like 1

Empty_Ten

I’ve got an Optimate 3 & 4.  I use the 4 on the MT10 because it’s laid up and the 3 on my NC.

The 4 is more expensive than the 3 so therefore better right? :lol:.  But the 3 does everything just fine and I did use it on the MT10 for a while when I was still commuting on it.

Absolutely no issues with using them and happily recommend them.

• Like 1

PoppetM

I am running an Optimate (like you my daily bike ride is no more!). It's been on the bike since 7th November, I am hoping to take the bike for a little spin over the weekend to turn the wheel a bit so will report back if it doesn't start! 

• Like 1

PoppetM
1 minute ago, Spindizzy said:

I use a Maypole tender. Seems to do the trick. It replaced a really cheap and nasty trickle charger which exploded off the wall. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/maypole-mp7402-0-5a-trickle-charger-12v/2723r

I have got an image of you dancing around the bike with ribbons... 

Haha, I remember that day!!!! 

bahnstormer

I use an Oxford Oximiser 3X.  At the moment, the bike is hooked up to it and it's doing a grand job of keeping the battery in check.  It is an expensive option if you've only got the one battery to worry about though.  For me it was ideal with the bike and 3 cars to keep on top of :lol:.

Jeffprince

I have a CTEK and an Optimate...I prefer using the Optimate. Had one poor experience with the CTEK, when the battery was discharged after being connected for a day, stuck to the Optimate after that.

• Like 1

Xactly

I have both too. I also prefer the Optimate. I charge my two bikes overnight about every two weeks.

• Like 1

RC166

C tek for me, works very well. Also have an older Optimate, bigger, that also does the job.

I’d just see what is the cheapest of these 2 makes and buy it.

Xactly

I bought my Optimate back in the days I owned a BMW F800GT. That had canbus electrics. My Optimate has dual function: canbus and non-canbus. At that time We also had bikes that were non-canbus. My CTek does not have this facility.

Bassman

Another one for Optimate here, it's an optimate 3 had it for 3 years and leave it on constantly for 3 months every winter never a problem. Also have an Oxford battery tender which works fine BUT the build quality compared with the Optimate is poor, you pays your money and takes your choice.

MikeBike

Bosch C3 for me. Has Bike and Car modes. Have one for the car and one for the bike and always plug in when in the garage. Had issues previously with cars in winter - have used last 6 years and battery always tip top. Recovered car battery after I'd let it accidentally drain with lights on until engine wouldn't turn over. Also does 6V if needed.

The Bosch C3 battery charger is an intelligent four-stage automatic battery charger with pulse charging and trickle charging capabilities. ... The C3 is ideal for charging and maintaining lead acid wet, gel, AGM and VRLA / SLA batteries up to 120Ah (12V) / 14Ah (6V).

41+Z8XchOaL._AC_SX450_.jpg

Edited by MikeBike
  • Thanks 1

PoppetM

Just started my bike up and took it for a spin before I plan to commute tomorrow. It's been on tender since early November and started first push of the button, took it half a mile to check tyres and put fuel in and it happily started first time again. Then gave it a run for half an hour, of which 20 minutes of it I was being followed by a police car... 

tomcat

Yes. A big shout for Optimate. Used on my VFR750F. 

It must do an excellent job as I'm still on the 1993 battery supplied with the bike.

Yes, you read that right a 1993 bike, still starting up on the original battery.....

• Like 1