dct handbrake service

bazza

so the dct cable on my bike isnt happy- any suggestions on maintaining it-and the caliper.

Whereas the main brake is hydraulic the cable is in charge of pushing the pads on the disc -and more importantly getting them off again -is prone to corrosion as its not used a lot and is in an area where water and dirt accumulate.

I note a new one costs hundreds!

• Like 1
wingrider.steve

What year is your VFR?

I've just replaced a parking brake cable on my mates 2018 Crosstourer and that was only just over £28 for the full cable assembly, from the lever to the caliper.

2 hours ago, wingrider.steve said:

What year is your VFR?

I've just replaced a parking brake cable on my mates 2018 Crosstourer and that was only just over £28 for the full cable assembly, from the lever to the caliper.

thanks Steve,

after spending most of today fettling I still have a grabby rear wheel! my bike's 2018 and 9400 miles .I  stripped and rebuilt the caliper -after carefully photographing it before.I got a complete new kit of seals but wimped out on taking the pistons out -just cleaned all visible parts -as I don't have a piston removal tool.

the dct handbrake cable is moving feely but the pads aren't moving back .I couldnt take out the pad retaining rods -really jammed in! I reckon if I can work out how to remove the cable from the bracket i will take it to a serious engineer mate who will sort it-he could make a new one, if I could afford his rates!

• 1 year later...
Weejockie

@bazza Realise this is an old thread, but how did you manage to remove the cable from the caliper - if you can remember? I need to get mine off and cant see how to separate the cable. The full Honda workshop manual isnt very helpful!

bazza
6 hours ago, Weejockie said:

@bazza Realise this is an old thread, but how did you manage to remove the cable from the caliper - if you can remember? I need to get mine off and cant see how to separate the cable. The full Honda workshop manual isnt very helpful!

Mine seemed to be welded in! but it wasnt it was just tight and it took a lot of wd40 and its superior brake cleaner mate,Eventually with the cable adjustment loosened I managed to get the ferrule to move back out of the holder.I am sure there is an easier way !

Weejockie

Thanks @bazza It certainly seems to be a pig! I've managed to get the nipple end out but still cant figure out how to get the ferrule out. I'll dose it in WD as you suggest and see if I get it out. You don't just pull it sideways out the gap?

Weejockie

Got it! compressed the spring, plenty of WD and out she came. Now onto the rounded Allen bolt!

bazza
4 hours ago, Weejockie said:

Thanks @bazza It certainly seems to be a pig! I've managed to get the nipple end out but still cant figure out how to get the ferrule out. I'll dose it in WD as you suggest and see if I get it out. You don't just pull it sideways out the gap?

It seems logical to tap it up from below -but dont hit the cable!