Rocker66

The return of Buell.

Rocker66

I saw an article on visor down today stating that Buell were returning to production with the first bikes appearing in 2024. Not a brand that I can get enthusiastic about though.

t5er

Ive got a 2004 one.it sits in my garage and i take the cover off and look at it with great "affection"(i should get out and ride it more but life gets in the way)..i think it was because it was unusual and still is so cleaver in design that drew me to it.

a bit like the nc in many ways, but oh so different.you have to be a certain breed with a certain outlook on motorcycling to own either one

i also had the HONOUR of meeting eric buell at a brands hatch buell meet and i have never met a more humble and likable "celebrity"in my life he could never, after talking to him be out of the manufacturing limelight for long as there was so much passion in his voice .

good luck eric buell its a shame you cannot keep your brand name

this message was announcing the closure of buell m/cs

• Thanks 2

Andy m

They seem to using the name 

https://www.buellmotorcycle.com/models

One imagines in their current predicament Harley-D struck a deal. Its very hard to enforce a something. where people can't use their own name. If your ten times great grandfather was a blue painted hairy transvestite sheep stealer they can stop you having a curvy M logo in red and yellow but not opening a burger place with your name above the door etc. If they have money they can drag you through the courts forever but I doubt H-D want that at the minute. Their history with the brand is a text book case of senior management not getting it and not driving it down the organisation, so no great loss to them. In fact the new company will take pressure off their dealers from people trying to get old ones fixed. 

I'm with  @Rocker66  though, Erik Buell does seem to be a clever bloke solving problems I never had. 

@Rocker66

Andy

• Like 1

Defender

I always liked Buells, whilst I couldn't see myself owning a HD as they only make the bikes I like look of so very briefly, but I loved the Buell's, especially the Lightening and Thunderbolt models as they more my type of bike, but were different too.

Edited by Defender
Completeness.

larryblag

They were always niche. It was  nice to see a little bit of showroom space reserved for the "cottage industry" sideline in HD dealers. That he managed to get 50% more power from a HD twin was impressive. I was telling a mate at work about Buell's groundbreaking idea 🤔 of fuel in frame and oil in swing arm until he reminded me that these weren't new ideas at all (quoting some British bikes 😊). To be honest though I once had a Mini Clubman with oil in the radiator and fuel all over the sub frame 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Defender
15 hours ago, larryblag said:

To be honest though I once had a Mini Clubman with oil in the radiator and fuel all over the sub frame 😂

Maybe a previous owner wanted an oil cooler and it's more usual on a Mini to have oil all over the front subframe, it's why they don't tend to rust, unlike the rear ones!

• Like 1

Xactly

For me the last ones with the l/c Rotax engines are the best.

• Like 1

larryblag

We still on about the Mini Clubman? 😂

• Haha 1

Xactly

Nope.

• Haha 1

MatBin

My wife had a mini clubman estate auto, not a common car. More revs than thrust as it was fitted with the 998 van engine and a torque converter.

Buell or HD never really appealed to me, odd really as I do like torquey engines over horsey ones, guess it was the price and cruiser style mainly.

Edited by MatBin

Rocker66
1 hour ago, MatBin said:

My wife had a mini clubman estate auto, not a common car. More revs than thrust as it was fitted with the 998 van engine and a torque converter.

Buell or HD never really appealed to me, odd really as I do like torquey engines over horsey ones, guess it was the price and cruiser style mainly.

Surely most Buell were sports style bikes.

Spindizzy
MatBin
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Surely most Buell were sports style bikes.

Yes but pricey, HD cruisers (mainly) and pricey.

MatBin
5 hours ago, MatBin said:

Yes but pricey, HD cruisers (mainly) and pricey.

Cal Raybourn's was quite sporty :)