stephenmcg

First run of the year

stephenmcg

Took a quick trip out to Helensburgh. Mileage before Xmas was 300 miles and I deliberately kept cub to max of 40mph.

today I did not bother, reached 60 on dual carriageway and almost constant 50 on A road.

will hopefully be taking bike for its only service at dealers (600) and then I will be doing what little needs done myself.

I even managed to get a few acknowledgements from bikes coming other way.

Smcg in sunny glasgow

• Like 9

Graham

...not going anywhere soon!

lane.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Xactly

It’s looking like it’ll be a cracking day on Wednesday around here. If it is I’ll be sorely tempted to add a few more miles to the 150 or so I’ve done on it since I took delivery from Mr Honda at the end of October. It has a full tank so there’s no need to interface with anyone. Will I ever reach the first service??? Still undecided whether to let the monkeys loose on it or do it myself. It uses the same filter and oil as my Crossrunner so I’ve already got the wherewithal (and the inclination).

• Like 4

stephenmcg
1 hour ago, Graham said:

...not going anywhere soon!

lane.jpg

Yes graham, our daughter was concerned that kids may not get back to school last week because it may be a ‘snow day’

our snow is gone but bucketful of rain forecast

smcg

Defender
22 minutes ago, Xactly said:

It’s looking like it’ll be a cracking day on Wednesday around here. If it is I’ll be sorely tempted to add a few more miles to the 150 or so I’ve done on it since I took delivery from Mr Honda at the end of October. It has a full tank so there’s no need to interface with anyone. Will I ever reach the first service??? Still undecided whether to let the monkeys loose on it or do it myself. It uses the same filter and oil as my Crossrunner so I’ve already got the wherewithal (and the inclination).

I'm looking at Wednesday for a ride out, but I have a our weekly 'Teams Team call at lunch time, so it'll have to be after that finishes.

So the Super Cub has an oil filter,  interesting as the Grom/MSX125 didn't, it had a separator device and a strainer IIRC, you can/could get a paper oil filter conversion kit for it though, if I'd have kept it for longer I'd have fitted one of those. 

Trev

I recall my first visit to Helensburgh, I had decided it would be my stopover for the night after riding down from Shieldaig/Applecross and had spent the morning on Skye followed by a lovely ride down and arriving in Helensburgh at about 6.30pm. The ride along the seafront however was a bit off-putting (lots of trackie clad, shoutie blokes and even shoutier women) for this Southern softie and when I arrived at the B&B I picked out on Bookie.com it looked awful so I doubled back and stayed in Arrochar. Definitely a case of judging a book by it's cover, I never even got off the bike :ermm:

Xactly
1 hour ago, Defender said:

I'm looking at Wednesday for a ride out, but I have a our weekly 'Teams Team call at lunch time, so it'll have to be after that finishes.

So the Super Cub has an oil filter,  interesting as the Grom/MSX125 didn't, it had a separator device and a strainer IIRC, you can/could get a paper oil filter conversion kit for it though, if I'd have kept it for longer I'd have fitted one of those. 

That’s surprising; I thought the bikes you mention all have the same engine. In days of yore the air-cooled Hondas made do with a centrifugal filter that was supposed to be cleared out of crud every now and then. Same principle as n British twins, though you had to split the cases to clean the sludge traps on those...

fj_stuart

I’ve been out on my SV650 over the last couple of days. It’s good to be back on it after using my CBF250 for day-to-day running about over the winter. I had an enjoyable run down to Dumfries today. The low fuel light came on after 130 miles so maybe I was enjoying myself a bit too much.

Dumfries this afternoon. There was a lot more water than normal going over the weir because of recent rain and snow melt.

DSCF1111a

• Like 9

Defender
1 minute ago, Xactly said:

That’s surprising; I thought the bikes you mention all have the same engine. In days of yore the air-cooled Hondas made do with a centrifugal filter that was supposed to be cleared out of crud every now and then. Same principle as n British twins, though you had to split the cases to clean the sludge traps on those...

They may have changed that on the latest one, or even the 'SF' version, the mileage between services was obviously quite low for a bike these days anyway. It uses a Honda paper filter element so it'd be easy to obtain. 

If the Cross Runner uses the same filter as the NC'X does then that's quite large for a bike as small as a Super Cub?

Thosoneill
1 hour ago, Trev said:

I recall my first visit to Helensburgh, I had decided it would be my stopover for the night after riding down from Shieldaig/Applecross and had spent the morning on Skye followed by a lovely ride down and arriving in Helensburgh at about 6.30pm. The ride along the seafront however was a bit off-putting (lots of trackie clad, shoutie blokes and even shoutier women) for this Southern softie and when I arrived at the B&B I picked out on Bookie.com it looked awful so I doubled back and stayed in Arrochar. Definitely a case of judging a book by it's cover, I never even got off the bike :ermm:

Those trackie clad shoutie blokes are the “english” sailors from HMNB Clyde in faslane who converge upon Helensburgh for their belly full of ale before being rounded up by the military police and returned to their pens at the base 😡

• Haha 1

Trev
52 minutes ago, Thosoneill said:

Those trackie clad shoutie blokes are the “english” sailors from HMNB Clyde in faslane who converge upon Helensburgh for their belly full of ale before being rounded up by the military police and returned to their pens at the base 😡

That's exactly what an ex-royal navy sailor friend of mine who was posted on minesweepers around Scotland told me. A place to be avoided until the Navy leaves 😔

listener
1 hour ago, fj_stuart said:

Dumfries this afternoon. There was a lot more water than normal going over the weir because of recent rain and snow melt.

Devorgilla Bridge - luverly jubbly! :thumbsup:

Thosoneill
45 minutes ago, Trev said:

That's exactly what an ex-royal navy sailor friend of mine who was posted on minesweepers around Scotland told me. A place to be avoided until the Navy leaves 😔

Actually Helensburgh believe it or not is very des-res - the housing up on the hill commands big prices and are occupied by some influential people - perhaps you did judge the book by its cover

Trev
Just now, Thosoneill said:

Actually Helensburgh believe it or not is very des-res - the housing up on the hill commands big prices and are occupied by some influential people - perhaps you did judge the book by its cover

Yes, I should have looked for a b&b 'up on the hill' :D

fj_stuart

I seem to recall a motorcycle shop on the front in Helensburgh – corner of West Clyde St & William St (maybe) – now a block of flats. Ring any bells?

Thosoneill
23 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

I seem to recall a motorcycle shop on the front in Helensburgh – corner of West Clyde St & William St (maybe) – now a block of flats. Ring any bells?

For sure Stuart - was a Yamaha dealer selling sub 500cc bikes - some used stock and motorcycle parts - I used to pop in when my late parents had a flat at 13 William street 

Tonyj
2 hours ago, Thosoneill said:

Yep because the Scottish are not known for getting pissed up and fighting are they and I bet the money is welcome from the service boys/ girls to the establishments they frequent, in truth any town near a base of any sort will have its moments and generally I think the MP’s deal with it .

Thosoneill

Tony - many years ago I’ve been known to sport one of those garish nylon job trackies and partake in a few bevvies with the “dolphins” in Helensburghs watering holes - and yes those service boys indeed prop up the local economy 👌

Rocker66
39 minutes ago, Thosoneill said:

those service boys indeed prop up the local economy 👌

And properly each other by the end of the session.

• Haha 1

iaink
3 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

I’ve been out on my SV650 over the last couple of days. It’s good to be back on it after using my CBF250 for day-to-day running about over the winter. I had an enjoyable run down to Dumfries today. The low fuel light came on after 130 miles so maybe I was enjoying myself a bit too much.

DSCF1111a

Did you see any otters ?

I've been reading that there are otters at the Whitesands in Dunfries.

fj_stuart
13 hours ago, iaink said:

Did you see any otters ?

I've been reading that there are otters at the Whitesands in Dunfries.

No otters, not even many seagulls due to the volume of water over the weir. I had the idea that otters were timid and lived in remote places but I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m in the town.