crazyhorse

That is gonna be fun!

embattle
24 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

That is gonna be fun!

For a short while :P

• Haha 1

Rocker66

It will be interesting to read your comments on it both positive and negative ( see what I did there😀) .I must admit to me it looks similar to a trials bike . I wonder what that seat will be like.

• Like 4

riders in the storm

The seat looks too far forward for me..?

Grumpy old man

Looks brilliant to me. What's it advertised range and charging time.

Wedgepilot

Nice - that should be a hoot! 78lbft and 131kg, yes please... 

• Like 1

Defender
11 minutes ago, riders in the storm said:

The seat looks too far forward for me..?

It's a bit like a dirt bike, forward and over the bars?

I wouldn't like to be the passenger!

tomcat

Well whilst they claim a range of up to about 95 miles, you won't get more than 60 if you ride it like a loon.

Whilst you can add extra chargers to speed up the charging requirements, I'm perfectly happy with overnight charging.

Current owners report the seat is fine for the sub 100 mile range of the bike. I haven't even asked about pillion comfort.

First because I don't carry a pillion. Second because I'll never occupy that position.

I'm not yet sure when it will arrive. I'll feedback some + and - once I have a few miles on it.

Currently pi$$ing down in Lancashire, so not desperate for delivery immediately.

Edited by tomcat
  • Thanks 1

t5er

I have been and still am very interested in the electric option as my daily commute of 44 miles is very achievable now the battery technology has improved.however the cost of these machines make me smart,the problem being when you own a nc with fuel and running costs so low i cannot myself justify the expense.if i was changing my bike regularly,always getting the latest pocket rocket and ready to sign up for any finance option the price would be within reach, but thats not me i m afraid so i will just be happy with my nc but i will be looking descretely with envious eyes.

i am sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

ride safe and try not to grin to much when stopped as i might be the rider who pulls up beside you

• Like 1

Trev

Very interested to hear how you get on with the Zero, I doubt very much that an electric bike will be on my shopping list anytime soon (I seem to be going backward in years regarding bikes!) but always like to hear about EV's. How do you find the i3s btw, does it have adequate range for most of your needs? I nearly went for one but the 'standard' i3 is quite a hard ride anyway, or at least on the potholed roads near me, and didn't want anything stiffer   ......... oo'er missus :frantics:

tomcat

I'm just 7 months into i3S ownership.

I love the car. Not so enamoured with BMW dealerships though.

My return journey to and from work is just 13 miles. Therefore range is not an issue for the majority of my journeys.

I use an EV electric tariff from Octopus energy. A quick calculation reveals I can conduct my commute 24 times for the cost of a single commute in my previous petrol car.

The i3S is the fastest accelerating car I have ever owned. So something of a win win on performance.

Range in winter is about 130-140 miles and about 10% better in spring and summer.

I do agree with an earlier comment. I do feel the cost of electric vehicles is being kept artificially high by manufacturers.

Battery energy is now at an all time low cost, but this is not reflected in vehicle pricing.

I've been kept busy throughout this pandemic. I'm old school and save up and purchase any vehicle I want,, rather than rely on any form of credit.

Those leasing a car at £500 or greater each month must be devastated if they see it parked, unused for month after month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

KingJames

So jealous.  I'd be tempted for the FXS personally but suspect the FX will be just fine on the road.  On the test ride I did years ago it was push bike width and silence with dodgem nimbleness, like a hot knife through butter traffic wise.  If you can really do 50 miles spirited in cold weather with traffic light grand prix pretty much the whole way please let me know.  It really is on my list of desirable bikes for commuting and isn't a super soco.

beep
16 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

Nice - that should be a hoot! 78lbft and 131kg, yes please... 

Never too sure about the torque quoted for electric motors. My ebicycle has 70Nm about 50lbft and can't have anything near the pulling power of the Zero. 😙

Weight about 20kg, range about 80 miles.

Edited by beep

Grumpy old man
On 25/02/2021 at 09:37, beep said:

Weight about 20kg, range about 80 miles

Is that a genuine range. What sort of bike and how long for a full charge?

beep
22 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Is that a genuine range. What sort of bike and how long for a full charge?

Yes that's the range for a full charge, although I've had 125 miles once when I really tried! It's a Trek Powerful 5 2017, with Bosch CX motor and 500wh battery, Full charge from flat is about 3-4 hours. Using non MTB tyres helps with the range. Almost 15000 trouble free miles so far.☺️

Edited by beep
  • Thanks 1

tomcat
Posted (edited)

Oki Doki. The update.

Only managed a few runs out on the bike since delivery. 

Observations so far.

The seat is fine, particularly given the limited range of the bike.

I did notice the chill in my old bones, riding a bike with no screen or fairing.

Additions to the bike since delivery have been hand guards, a rear luggage rack and an MRA speed screen fitted.

The few miles covered, probably about 130, indicate a real world riding range of about 60-70 miles on a mixture of roads. Most roads around here are 60 NSL.

The bike handles like a dream. It changes direction with the tiniest of input and holds a line well.

It is proving ideal for the roads around my home location. I'm right on the doorstep of the Yorkshire Dales.

Consumption per charge equates to approx' 1/2p per mile. A petrol equivalent of 240 mpg.

The only real negative is pairing my Android phone to the bike has proved impossible. Research shows this to be universal. Zero and Android don't like each other.

IMG-20170109-175802.jpg

Edited by tomcat
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

tomcat

Check before you type!

Earlier this week I gained a new phone operating on Android 10.

I've just been out to the garage, and bingo! It paired with the bike first attempt.

I forgot to mention earlier, the need to be very aware of other road users. Particularly pedal cyclists and pedestrians.

They are unaware of your approach audibly. Cyclists proved particularly troublesome on the back roads today, they had to be awoken to my approach from behind with a quick, polite tap of the horn.

• Like 1

listener
45 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I forgot to mention earlier, the need to be very aware of other road users. Particularly pedal cyclists and pedestrians.

They are unaware of your approach audibly. Cyclists proved particularly troublesome on the back roads today, they had to be awoken to my approach from behind with a quick, polite tap of the horn.

Strap a boombox to the rack.

A tape of Thrash/Death Metal, with volume set to '11', ought to do the trick! :whistle:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

slowboy
1 hour ago, listener said:

Strap a boombox to the rack.

A tape of Thrash/Death Metal, with volume set to '11', ought to do the trick! :whistle:

Surely a pastoral symphony for such a gentlemanly steed. 😆🎼

• Haha 3

poldark

Ride of the Valkyries surely ...... 

• Like 5

splke
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tomcat said:

Check before you type!

Earlier this week I gained a new phone operating on Android 10.

I've just been out to the garage, and bingo! It paired with the bike first attempt.

Regarding noise or lack of it with electric vehicles I really feel they need to have a noise generation system to aid road safety especially for pedestrians. They are bad enough when they can hear you 

Edited by splke
  • Like 2

listener
11 hours ago, KingJames said:

You are not alone thinking that. A few products exist I believe. 

The cheap option is to tiewrap a lolly stick to the frame so that it rattles off the spokes ... :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Andy m

Helicopter gunships are getting close to the solution I'd propose 😈

I don't actually believe this is an EV problem, yellow lycra seems to clog their ears to 500cc's of Thai twin powered soundbomb. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5