Sign in to follow this  
Basilpot

Day lights / Sub harness again

Basilpot

Hello all, I decided to add some Cree v3 running lights to my 2014 nc750x using the honda sub harness and relay as should just be plug and play. All works fine except, although I have positioned the lights to point down I still get car drivers flashing complaining as if I have my high beam on. I decided to try and change these so they only come on with the high beam and maybe add some smaller day lights so as not to blind car drivers. The bike did just pass the mot with the lights as they are.

I decided to take a closer look at the wiring connection to see if this can be done with the sub harness. I have also read the post from Martin explaining what the different wires provide but this does seem a bit different to what I have found.

Bike harness wires                                 Sub Harness 

Blue                                                           Blue

Red/White                                                Brown

Purple                                                       Geen

Orange

Green

When you plug the Sub Harness to the bike harness the following connection is made

Blue on sub harness - blank on bike, no connection 

Brown on sub harness - Purple on bike harness 

Green on sub harness  - Green on bike harness - earth/ground

Red/White on bike harness has live supply 12v wheather the ignition is on or off. 

Purple on bike harness  has live supply 12v only with ignition on. 

Blue not live with or without ignition on

Orange not live without or without ignition on 

Green earth/ground

High beam switch on makes no difference to the supply to the bike harness supply.

Has anyone else tried to connect their lights to just use the high beam. I know you can chop in to the high beam live but would rather do it properly if it can be done. 

Has anyone else experienced car drivers complaining your lights are too bright. This seems to happen more when it is dark.

Any help or advice appreciated

slowboy

Not easy this, except for cutting in to the main beam cable. Personally I wouldn’t  use a scotchlock or posi-tap for that, the high current will most likely become an issue later.

If they are “driving lights”, they’ll probably have no dip beam “cut off” so will be bright to look at unless they’re pointing at the road right in front of you. 

I did do a setup like that some time ago for a riding buddy, it’s just a time and care thing.

Basilpot

Thanks for the reply. I wonder what the wires to the bike harness plug are there for as there must be a reason or am I over thinking this. 

I get the purple is live 12v with ignition on supplying power to the 3 brown wires on the sub harness.

Blue and orange wires without any power and red/white has permanent 12v.

The honda sub harness has no connection to the extra wires.

MikeBike
25 minutes ago, Basilpot said:

Thanks for the reply. I wonder what the wires to the bike harness plug are there for as there must be a reason or am I over thinking this. 

I get the purple is live 12v with ignition on supplying power to the 3 brown wires on the sub harness.

Blue and orange wires without any power and red/white has permanent 12v.

The honda sub harness has no connection to the extra wires.

Blue and Orange are for the indicators. Both live when hazards on (pulsing not steady IIRC). The Harness plugs into Option A socket. The Option B socket is somewhere under the front / headlight area.

My daytime running lights have a dim/bright function and was going to get clever and dip them when the indicators were on, but just set up a switch so I could select dim/bright. I found I just left them on bright and removed the switch in the end. People say they are bright, but don't get flashed. I suggest just adjusting the aim slightly. Make sure the are facing straight ahead too as if skewed outwards they will shine higher when banked over.

22988211313-483c172b7b-b.jpg

The post 2016 wiring changed so make sure the info you reference is for your age of bike. (like mine)

Here are some links I saved on the topic as reference for our 2014/15 bikes..also with some info on the Japanese Sumitomo connectors that the sockets on the harness use. I ordered some plugs to use them. First one is my install.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

Basilpot

Thanks for the explanation, at least I understand a bit more about the wiring and harness. I will see if there is a way to dim the lights or possibly change the direction a bit. 

Thank you