DCT problems

Konstantin

Does the team think that we should select neutral if we get stuck at a standstill for any length of time (>3mins). 

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Konstantin

• MatBin

• Slowboy

• davebike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is similar to holding the clutch in on a manual geared bike. Not good practice, since it over time could cause wear in the throwout bearing and clutch plates. Although the driven and driving plates

Indeed.  But for those who don't know, the DCT's clutches are disengaged when in the "relaxed" position.  Oil pressure is used to push them into engagement, so there is nothing equivalent to the manua

@davebike @slowboy @MikeBike   Thank you for your help. My problem is solved! Changed CLUTCH ASSY., Honda, 22500-MKA-D51 and now my bike ride well!

poldark
3 hours ago, dave said:

Does the team think that we should select neutral if we get stuck at a standstill for any length of time (>3mins). 

Not mechanically relevant but the longer I sit stationary the greater the chance I forget I'm on a DCT and blip the throttle - ooops!!

If there's no chance of moving away for several minutes AND I don't feel there's any risk of being rear-ended I would switch to N and turn off - please Greta and the atmosphere.

• Like 1
Slowboy
11 hours ago, dave said:

I tend to on the bike, and the car when I’m waiting at road works, but I did that the other day with my smart car. The lights turned green and as I was facing downhill, I took my foot off the brake and started rolling away in the right direction and tried to select a gear. The gearbox stubbornly stayed in neutral. I found out that the gearbox software (its automatic) won’t select a gear until you’ve stopped and have your foot on the brake. We’re laughing about it now and I apologised to the person behind me later........😳:rtfm:

21 hours ago, dave said:

It is similar to holding the clutch in on a manual geared bike. Not good practice, since it over time could cause wear in the throwout bearing and clutch plates. Although the driven and driving plates are disengaged they still have slight contact, and spin at 1000 rpms related to each other. 

I always select neutral if it takes more than half a minute or so on my DCT Honda. I never hold the clutch in when stationary for more than a few seconds on a manually geared bike or car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
MatBin
On 02/06/2021 at 08:21, MGR1 said:

I always select neutral if it takes more than half a minute or so on my DCT Honda. I never hold the clutch in when stationary for more than a few seconds on a manually geared bike or car.

I read you don't have to select N in a DCT car, I used to select N if I was going to be stationary for a length of time, say roadworks or the M25 but I wouldn't at traffic lights in my DCT car, same applies in my CVT car. On the DCT bike I rarely get caught in traffic jams but I would tend to be mechanically sympathetic so yes I would select N if I thought I wasnt going to get going anytime soon.

Manual transmission, straight into neutral when stopped, however I believe that isn't now the method suggested in current car tests.

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 1
kayz1

It does say in the hand book to go to N if stuck in traffic ..

Slowboy
10 hours ago, kayz1 said:

I do that in my Smart car as well, otherwise it’s just loading up the clutch release mechanism.

SteveThackery
21 hours ago, slowboy said:

I do that in my Smart car as well, otherwise it’s just loading up the clutch release mechanism.

Indeed.  But for those who don't know, the DCT's clutches are disengaged when in the "relaxed" position.  Oil pressure is used to push them into engagement, so there is nothing equivalent to the manual clutch release mechanism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
MatBin
On 06/06/2021 at 00:33, kayz1 said:

Oddly enough I did that yesterday, lights changed, engaged D, took off, wouldn't change up out of 1st, pulled over, engaged N again, then D again and all was fine for the remainder of my 65 miles. Odd.

Edited by MatBin
Slowboy
16 hours ago, MatBin said:

Oddly enough I did that yesterday, lights changed, engaged D, took off, wouldn't change up out of 1st, pulled over, engaged N again, then D again and all was fine for the remainder of my 65 miles. Odd.

Ghosts in the machine……

• Like 1

When you get to a certain age, you become more expert at double hitting key pads and switches (mild shakes),  your out foxing the controls.

• Haha 2