the dreaded E

kbull

hi guys , out for a wee sunny run and the dreaded fuel red light started flashing , as usual  middle of nowhere and no wallet with me , so squeaky bum all the way home in d mode driving like a nun ,  so question is it went into  something which is      0.0 miles  and i ended up home at 0.2 miles , cant for the life of me figure out this , it took a lot more than 2 miles to get home , more like 8 or 9 so what does it go to  till its actually empty ??  apologies as it most likely done before but cant find it .. thanks guys.

• Like 1
wingrider.steve

On my 2016 NC750X (manual) I got 52 miles after the fuel gauge started flashing before it ran dry.

Like you I was curious so I had some fuel in a can in the top-box and deliberately ran the bike out of fuel so at least I then knew for future reference!

• Haha 1
partymarty

Hi Kenny, I recently watched a You Tube vid and a rider achieved 60 miles on his reserve which I think was a manual 750x.

poldark

Think you're reading Litres used, not miles on Reserve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Defender

I've fully tested the tank capacity and range on my 2012 '700X DCT and although I don't have a range predictor or countdown etc., but when I ran dry I was able to foot paddle it the few hundred meters to the fuel station, I the tank took 14.12 litres to fill it up. This was some years ago and I don't remember how many miles I'd done on that tankful or how many I did on the last 'block' which flashes as a warning, it wouldn't have been the most I've done as I'd been riding in London and was on my way home!

The maximum I've had from a tankful is 258miles, I think it'd have done the 260 but not much more?

PoppetM

Maximum I ran on reserve was 22 miles, never again!!!! I think it took just over £12 to fill up, but it frightened the life out of me and I decided it was never worth trying it again! 

• Like 2

I regularly run to the red on my Nc700s, I usually refill at about 230 to 240 miles done on the tank but only manage to get about 12 to 13 litres in so I guess there’s at least 1 litre left in there which would probably do another 20 or so miles.

• Like 5
Andy m

Amateurs.

In 2000 I missed the last fuel stop before the North Cape tunnel. The penalty for running out down their concrete lined hole is three kidneys, a non-redheaded top two born child and immediate deportation to a country run by someone with a title like "Beloved Leader"  . 

The only fuel station on the cape is the most expensive in Norway, which is the pricing equivalent of asking the Ferrari dealer for the accessories list .

I put 27.1 litres in the 27 litre F650 tank, a litre in my litre stove fuel bottle and 0.2 litres in the stove. 568 miles on the odometer.

The NC (and CB500) displays will easily go 0.5 gallon/2 litres into reserve, at least 30 miles worth.

Andy

• Like 4
steelhorseuk

On my 2012 NC700SA in 'The Picos' Northern Spain back in 2018, fully loaded with 40 litres of SW MOTECH luggage and my GF on the pillion seat.

I had a planned fuel stop at Potes but we got diverted because of a road closure just 10 miles outside Potes. 

The diversion took me over mountains and many windy roads all beautiful but with the red light flashing the whole time.

When I eventually reached that fuel stop at Potes (going in from the other direction) I had clocked up another 65 miles.

I will never worry about running out of fuel again on this bike. Its amazing!

Needles to say, I brimmed it with 13.98 litres.... out of a possible 14.1. So, I still had a bit more. 

• Like 4
Rocker66

Last night’s Itchyboots episode had her riding some passes and finding out that the fuel stop she was expecting to use wasn’t open. Luckily she managed to eke out the fuel and arrived at the town at the end of the pass with about a cup full fuel left.

• Like 2
Johnnie Mototrans

I have done 30 miles on reserve and was very nervous.

However.

This afternoon I filled up at South Queensferry and made it home 60 plus miles later without anything showing on the guage.

• Like 1
listener

The most I've ever had to put into the tank was 13.82 litres.

That was my previous 750X DCT just after a return trip to Bo'ness.

For that I covered 214 miles for a return of just under 15.5 miles/litre (70mpg).

So I was just over 4 miles from a bit of serious exercise! :D

PS I can't remember exactly when it went into reserve but it would have been around the 10.5 litre mark.

Edited by listener
PoppetM

You lot have balls of steel!

• Haha 1
Empty_Ten

I believe the stock setting for the dash when the E light is flashing - is fuel consumed (in gallons) since the light has come on.

The Manual says you have approximately 0.7 gallon of fuel left once the light starts flashing.  So basically, you don’t want that counter really getting beyond 0.5, unless you like squeaky bum time. 

• Like 1

many thanks guys , so it goes to 0.7 ,  and that stands for 0.7 of a gallon ,  i was sweating at 0.2  lol . now i know . thnks all !!!! 

• Like 1
Tonyj

Honestly you should get 45/50mile from reserve light pinging on  and it counts up so in my case it was set in litres and I would go .5 of a litre then 1 and so on till it got to 3 then I defo would look around . I got anything from 11 mile per litre to 15 no problem and that was thrashing it down the A13 .

• Like 1
Hickky
7 hours ago, Andy m said:

The only fuel station on the cape is the most expensive in Norway, which is the pricing equivalent of asking the Ferrari dealer for the accessories list

The last time I was in Norway, the price of a hens egg for breakfast would buy two bacon sandwiches at home, and no, I was not old enough to obtain a second mortgage for a single bacon sandwich over there. Basically, staying in the camping site north of Oslo for three days before my school friends' dad was back from deployment (RAF) and I could stay with them took all the money I had with me.

I allowed 6 days to hitch hike to Norway, tent on my back, and got there from Hook of Holland in two and a bit days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Jamesc

Last time I was in Norway all they had was ham and cheese sandwiches, or for special occasions cheese & ham. A delicacy like a proper bacon sandwich would have been much appreciated. Can't remember the fuel cost although for sure it would have been high live everything else

• Haha 1
Andy m
9 hours ago, kbull said:

many thanks guys , so it goes to 0.7 ,  and that stands for 0.7 of a gallon ,  i was sweating at 0.2  lol . now i know . thnks all !!!! 

Check the display. It's based on a 1980's Casio wrist watch, one of Hondasan's little jokes and has too many functions and not enough buttons or display space. It can do gallons and litres, miles, kilometres and probably sho per shaku as well. Accidentally press A&B while holding button 3 and it changes units. 

A tip on changing the clock : undo the battery cables and reconnect at midnight 😁

However displayed, you have 30 to 60 miles after it starts flashing. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3

I reckon on hitting reserve around 200 miles and then would expect another 55 miles before "flying on vapour". I typically.see 80 + mpg on my 2020 NC XD so when the 0.7 gallon countdown starts I should be doing roughly 8 miles every 0.1 gal remaining. On this basis if you get 60 mpg you have 42 miles before running out and at 70 mpg 49 miles.

Have done 30 miles on reserve before and wasn't too concerned. 

Scootabout

My rule of thumb, for the 700X, which had no countdown, was this. Since the manual says reserve is 3.1 litres, assume you've got 2 litres left when you go onto reserve. Then assume usual mpg of 18-19 miles per litre out of town, and 11-12 mpl in London. That gives 37 and 23 miles available before I really ought to be filling up, respectively. I did exceed it once or twice, without running out, but then I kept that 'reserve reserve' litre, didn't I? 

Incidentally, I never got more than about 13 litres into a tank. That was filled to the bottom of the filler spout. I assume 14 litres is to the top?

• Like 1
listener
38 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

Incidentally, I never got more than about 13 litres into a tank. That was filled to the bottom of the filler spout. I assume 14 litres is to the top?

Th official max (14.1 litre) filling point is the base of the rear wall of the filler spout (there's a small elongated hole).

I find that once I hit that point (with pump on 'full flow') I can get another half litre or so in with careful 'squirts'. 

MatBin

I went onto reserve at the weekend, by the time I filled up I calculated I would have had 50 miles from hitting reserve to empty assuming 14.1 litres tank, I average 80mpg or there shouts usually.

SteveThackery
On 4/15/2021 at 14:04, kbull said:

0.0 miles  and i ended up home at 0.2 miles , cant for the life of me figure out this

To summarise, then: once on reserve, the display stops showing miles, and instead shows the amount of fuel consumed since going onto reserve.  It's a crap system, in my view, but it's because they can't calculate the remaining range accurately enough, and don't want complaints from riders being stranded with 20 miles still showing on the range readout.

• Like 1
Andy m

The miles to walking count-down on cars uses data the CB500X certainly has in the dash display: average mpg on this tankful X (theoretical reserve - reserve used) = distance until walking. There is processing power enough in the dash to do the sum. 

OK, I've done 10 miles in a Ford with zero miles left, and they'll always under estimate the distance so you can't complain it stopped without telling you, but I don't see why bikes need to be different. If it stops showing only 1 litre into reserve you'll still complain. 

The excuse will be how lean angle changes the fuel level. 

Andy

• Like 1