More DCT Problems.

Foxy

Nipped home (back from sunny Wales) to get the bike yesterday and had a few issues. Bike started fine and went straight into sport 3 ok, pretty much straight away I thought it wasn't changing up properly but I was able to toggle through the gears no problem.

Called into the garage for fuel and did not select neutral when switching off, came to start and I could not select neutral or drive and had a horizontal line showing on the dash, don't know why but after a bit of head scratching I pressed the drive selector switch very hard and into drive it went. 

Rode a couple of miles and all was fine then remembered I had left the van keys in the car, got home ok with no problems retrieved the keys and the bike wouldn't start, pressing the starter resulted in the engine turning over briefly but no start, and I could do that repeatedly.

Decided to get the Bonnie out instead but when I put the nc back in the garage it started straight away and selected drive. I suspect a weak battery but would appreciate your thoughts, in the meantime I'm off out around North Wales on the Triumph.

• Like 1
Andy m

Battery. 

First things to go are electronics using the input as the definition of 1 versus 0. Thats the ABS and DCT. 

Next the starter motor has enough to engage but can't pull the current to turn on compression. 

Andy

• Like 1
MatBin

Battery would be the first thing I would suspect if it's old or hasn't been looked after during the lockdowns. By looked after I mean trickle charged or bike used.

• Like 1

Cheers chaps, the bike is coming up to 4yrs old and the battery has never seen a trickle charge so I'm confident it is the problem. Everything has a silver lining and today's ride on the Triumph was very enjoyable.

• Like 2

Definitely dead battery. DCT only likes 0s and 1s. Nothing in between. Had the same problem myself a few weeks ago. New battery and everything's sorted.

• Like 2
davebike

Battery

the line across the gear position not clearing indicates a fault condition and batteries the common one

• Like 2
Steve Case

+1

I had the same and had to replace the battery on my 2017, it appears the batteries last 3 or 4 years then need replacing.

• Like 2
MatBin
14 hours ago, Steve Case said:

+1

I had the same and had to replace the battery on my 2017, it appears the batteries last 3 or 4 years then need replacing.

Oh dear I have a 2017 model, bought last year, so battery is on the cards soon I guess.

Tonyj

That’s typical isn’t it , Honda making out they make products that last .... only 4 years old that’s nothing I’ve got underpants that saw the queen crowned and dust sheets that still seem to have loads of dust in them , bloody marketing men. Hope it fixes it though good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
MatBin
36 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

That’s typical isn’t it , Honda making out they make products that last .... only 4 years old that’s nothing I’ve got underpants that saw the queen crowned

Which one, Victoria?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
outrunner

My 750X is a month away from being 5 years old with 58000 miles on it and the battery has never been out of the bike, never been subject to an external charge and is doing fine. Having said that it will now likely let me down. :D  As an aside, the battery in my car is over 8 years old and still going strong.

Andy.

• Like 1
Tonyj
3 hours ago, MatBin said:

Which one, Victoria?

I never use my first name, how did you know

• Haha 4
Steve Case

Car batteries R huge, I put one in her 1600 mumbus and its gotta be 4 times bigger than the puny effort in the NC for an engine thats only double the size.

Mind you for pony batteries my reference is the 955 Triumph, must have the CCA of an asthmatic donkey on a wheel!

• Haha 1
Slowboy
3 hours ago, outrunner said:

My 750X is a month away from being 5 years old with 58000 miles on it and the battery has never been out of the bike, never been subject to an external charge and is doing fine. Having said that it will now likely let me down. :D  As an aside, the battery in my car is over 8 years old and still going strong.

Andy.

That’s because you’re using yours regularly and can probably look forward to it lasting seven years or more. (So if you didn’t jinx it, I have now😂). Lead acid batteries like to be maintained at a float state.

• Like 2

New battery ordered and hopefully all back to normal tomorrow, fingers crossed.

• Like 3