DCT Gearchanging clunk

The dogs

The dogs

Hi folks, I took a 2017 750X DCT out yesterday on a test  ride and noticed the gear changing was clunking at say sub 30mph speeds. I don’t remember that happening on a New one I tried a few years back. Any comments. 

Edited by The dogs
Missed out crucial word
Defender

I've not ridden a 2017 NC' but I did ride an X-ADV when they first came out so it's roughly the same age of machine and I don't remember it being noticeably clunky, as for my own NC700X, which I've had for almost 8 years now, it can be a little bit clunky initially when the oil is cold, but once it's moving and warmed up then I can't say it's an issue I recognise?

Try another one and see if that's the same, if that's possible?

poldark

Maybe dealer or previous owner did an oil change without the required DCT Initialisation process?

Gringo
7 minutes ago, poldark said:

Maybe dealer or previous owner did an oil change without the required DCT Initialisation process?

..or possibly the wrong oil? Should be 10/30 I understand and not 10/40.

• Like 1
The dogs

Interesting comments about the right oil and DCT setup after. Thanks for the info and I’ll ask before parting with my hard earned cash. Besides that loved it. 

• Like 1
The dogs

I’d like to try another Defender, but they’re like Gold dust here where I live in Guernsey. I knew the bike and owner from new as I was working in my local Honda dealership at the time it was sold. Now it’s been traded in by him against an Enfield as he found it a bit to heavy....really!! I don’t remember anything being said about clonking DCT then through Honda service, so I was wondering if it’s the norm like you say. 

MatBin

I have a 2017 DCT and you can hear/feel some slight gear changing at low speeds when cold, I gave just changed oil and filters but didn't do any initialisation. Other than that virtually all upward changes are completely seamless in any mode. Some downward changes can cause a very slight clunk, engine breaking is obvious in the S modes, more so the higher S numbers.

The dogs

I’m gonna do the deal tomorrow. Will be trading in my Vespa 300 for it. No regrets for sure. Been wanting a DCT for years just wouldn’t fork out the cash till I’d ridden one for an hour or so to get used to the DCT now I’m hooked. I’ll be back in touch when I have it and put some pics up. 

• Like 1
The dogs
5 hours ago, MatBin said:

I have a 2017 DCT and you can hear/feel some slight gear changing at low speeds when cold, I gave just changed oil and filters but didn't do any initialisation. Other than that virtually all upward changes are completely seamless in any mode. Some downward changes can cause a very slight clunk, engine breaking is obvious in the S modes, more so the higher S numbers.

Cheers buddie, that’s what I wanted to here as that’s exactly what this one sounds like. The deals as good as done. ☺️

• Like 1
MatBin
5 minutes ago, The dogs said:

Cheers buddie, that’s what I wanted to here as that’s exactly what this one sounds like. The deals as good as done. ☺️

I went out on mine today, did 100 miles and tbh it's taken me a while to get used to slow speed maneuvers, U turns etc, possibly still don't have them quite squared away to my satisfaction, not sure I ever did even on a clutched bike, but slow speed riding is great as the bike has a good low c of g and hides its weight well. I have only done about 2500 miles on mine due to lock down and I only got it last January anyway. Very few of those miles were doing U turns :)

I was never formally trained, no CBT when I first learnt (1971), so my son telling me to look where I want to go, having just passed his test he knows this far better than me, and dragging the rear brake instead of using the clutch is all new to me, but I am getting there. Old dog and new tricks springs to mind, the NC is often talked about as a good first big bike is something I can live with and I am sure you will enjoy it. Enjoy.

The dogs

I’ll take a punt as we took our bike tests at roughly the same time that we’re about the same age (64ish). Like you, there was no cbt when I did my bike test in 72. Learnt from niave mistakes over time. Now ridden over nigh on 50yrs and on my first DCT. A little excited even at my age. 

The dogs

Just thought I’d take a look at YouTube to see if anyone had posted up anything and sure enough Exeter rider has, and very useful too. Just put in DCT reset and his vlog should come up. Worth watching. 

• Like 1
MatBin
On 30/04/2021 at 07:02, The dogs said:

I’ll take a punt as we took our bike tests at roughly the same time that we’re about the same age (64ish). Like you, there was no cbt when I did my bike test in 72. Learnt from niave mistakes over time. Now ridden over nigh on 50yrs and on my first DCT. A little excited even at my age. 

66 for me. 

Xactly
On 29/04/2021 at 22:55, MatBin said:

I went out on mine today, did 100 miles and tbh it's taken me a while to get used to slow speed maneuvers, U turns etc, possibly still don't have them quite squared away to my satisfaction, not sure I ever did even on a clutched bike, but slow speed riding is great as the bike has a good low c of g and hides its weight well. I have only done about 2500 miles on mine due to lock down and I only got it last January anyway. Very few of those miles were doing U turns :)

I was never formally trained, no CBT when I first learnt (1971), so my son telling me to look where I want to go, having just passed his test he knows this far better than me, and dragging the rear brake instead of using the clutch is all new to me, but I am getting there. Old dog and new tricks springs to mind, the NC is often talked about as a good first big bike is something I can live with and I am sure you will enjoy it. Enjoy.

It occurs to me that you would benefit from doing the IAM course or one of the day courses run by the Police. Like you, my bike test was a ride round a couple of blocks, an emergency stop and a few questions on the Highway Code.ñ, in my case in 1969.  Although I had been riding for over forty years before doing the IAM training and test it didn’t mean that I was riding as well as I could, rather that I had sub-consciously developed strategies to compensate for the things I wasn’t doing in the best possible way. I was 61 when I passed the test and I have to say that, although it is fair to say that prior to then I was a competent and confident rider, my riding has improved significantly since doing the course and maintaining the higher standard by staying involved with the local IAM group. ROSPA is another option. It’s actually good fun to do anyway and IMHO beats aimlessly riding around. Just a thought.

• Like 1
poldark

I completed a Bikesafe day on 11th April, a great day with over 100 miles with a bike copper up your chuff!!

Due to **** the theory was done via MS Teams video call a few days before, so actually more time on observed rides.

I'd done one soon after my DAS, but nearly 20 years later a refresher was a good investment. 👍👍

• Like 1
MatBin

I did a Bikesafe day with the Police at the Ace Cafe a few years back, it was brilliant, he thought I was a little cautious going round the country lanes, I might not have been if I had been on his bike :)

Scootabout

Bikesafe is good, but the riding part is an assessment, not training. For training I agree the IAM course is a good option, or an good independent instructor like Kevin Williams of Survival Skills. I think he's based in north London these days. 

MikeBike

When I did one a few years ago it was free. Now I see it's £65.

poldark
16 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

Bikesafe is good, but the riding part is an assessment, not training. For training I agree the IAM course is a good option, or an good independent instructor like Kevin Williams of Survival Skills. I think he's based in north London these days. 

Whilst it isn't a long period there's certainly training within Bikesafe. The theory session is 2-3 hours with many accident video clips with specific observational questions.

Then a One to One initial 50 mile ride followed by lunch, debrief and pointers for improvement, followed by another 50 mile ride and final written report and further debrief.  

It's pitched as a stepping stone, to encourage riders to see the benefit of continuous training and sign up for IAM, ROSPA or other option.

poldark
10 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

When I did one a few years ago it was free. Now I see it's £65.

Think I paid £40 to do it originally at Ace Cafe in 2004, thankfully there are some counties that fund slots these days, so instead of £65 I paid nothing!!