bike just stopped

t5er

hello all

last monday on the way to work my nc700 just stopped.it didnt fade and die it just stopped.i pulled over and after a few stabs on the starter it came to life again.this happened two more times in about 500 yards ,the final time it did not want to restart.looking at the fuses,all looked ok.tried it again after turning on the ignition i didnt hear the fuel pump priming and although i would have expected the bike to splutter to a halt i assumed the fuel pump had failed.getting ready to phone for recovery i put everything back together and just gave it another go,fortunately it fired up and i was able to get to work without any further problems.i was expecting problems on my way home but i had no issues then or for the rest of the week. i have been looking at the ecm schematic and i am almost sure the problem lies with the sidestand switch/clutch switch /neutral switch circuit which earths the ecu preventing start up.

i know the sidestand switch has given problems to riders in the past so i am now carrying my trusty multi meter with me so i can hopefully

trace the problem if it happens again.

the reason for this "topic" was to make fellow ncers aware that if it happens to them it might be worth pulling in the clutch lever in and out a few times kflicking the sidestand up and down and going in and out of neutral and see if your bike restarts.i am unsure what i did in my case to get my bike running but this will be my first "go to" if it happens again.

ride safe

Common problem with Maxi-Scoots is the micro switches fitted to levers and stands, same electrical safety features on my DCT NC. I have got into the habit of wiggling the switches and spraying them with Silicon grease spray. The starter switch is prone to problems, no lights having starting the bike.  Hopefully it is something simple,,,,,,,,,, it usually is. 

bazza
3 hours ago, t5er said:

hello all

last monday on the way to work my nc700 just stopped.it didnt fade and die it just stopped.i pulled over and after a few stabs on the starter it came to life again.this happened two more times in about 500 yards ,the final time it did not want to restart.looking at the fuses,all looked ok.tried it again after turning on the ignition i didnt hear the fuel pump priming and although i would have expected the bike to splutter to a halt i assumed the fuel pump had failed.getting ready to phone for recovery i put everything back together and just gave it another go,fortunately it fired up and i was able to get to work without any further problems.i was expecting problems on my way home but i had no issues then or for the rest of the week. i have been looking at the ecm schematic and i am almost sure the problem lies with the sidestand switch/clutch switch /neutral switch circuit which earths the ecu preventing start up.

i know the sidestand switch has given problems to riders in the past so i am now carrying my trusty multi meter with me so i can hopefully

trace the problem if it happens again.

the reason for this "topic" was to make fellow ncers aware that if it happens to them it might be worth pulling in the clutch lever in and out a few times kflicking the sidestand up and down and going in and out of neutral and see if your bike restarts.i am unsure what i did in my case to get my bike running but this will be my first "go to" if it happens again.

ride safe

I like that

we are "NiCERS"  never occured to me before

so if anyone asks what sort of a biker are you-you are a Nicer!

back on topic I think we all hate these electric gismos .remember a Honda side stand switch is £120,the chinky identical one (to look at) is £10

MatBin
1 hour ago, bazza said:

I like that

we are "NiCERS"  never occured to me before

so if anyone asks what sort of a biker are you-you are a Nicer!

back on topic I think we all hate these electric gismos .remember a Honda side stand switch is £120,the chinky identical one (to look at) is £10

Kinell, how do they justify £120, what's it made of platinum plated uranium? Does the chinky one work?

Edited by MatBin
bazza
1 hour ago, MatBin said:

Kinell, how do they justify £120, what's it made of platinum plated uranium? Does the chinky one work?

Well i never got to try it -passed it on to another member who should tell you! But a million bikes rushing around the far east cant be wrong!

Hickky
3 hours ago, bazza said:

No, not at all. The Honda one has a part number that originated from the Honda master computer. There needs to be a special label affixed to the outside stating this NC part number is inside the special box that has 'Honda Genuine Parts' printed on the outside many times. Although almost all sidestand switches are the same, it must be clear this switch is for the NC 750 2019 only. Thus the charge of £120.

Oh, when Honda need to re-order, they buy 5,000 universal sidestand switches for £2.23 each from the Chinese maker!

It is either that or they contain unobtanium!

• Haha 1

Think I've knackered mine up. Sidestand was a bit sticky so I doused it with 3 in 1 .Forgot there was a switch there, now it wont start with the sidestand down:blink:

rjp996

Mine did same thing, cut out restarted and cut out again - it’s happened twice in my last 90k miles - the issue was the relay, easy to change and you can tear it out by swapping the fan relay over. Could tell it was that on mine as when I turned the key there was no fuel pump noise priming 

a question to rjp996....when your bike cut out did it splutter to a halt or as you described it just cut out as in my case.after reading your input i am questioning my theory of the sidestand circuit being the cause of the problem 

the issue i have has not happened since but i would like to thank you for your input as i was fairly "blinkered" to the cause and for peace of mind i will be ordering a  replacement relay.

ride safe