Valve check, 6 hours!

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi

A little story. Yesterday I decided to do a valve check and oil and filter change on the NC. Stripped it down checked the valves ( all except one was in spec) built it up, about to put the rad on and I thought,  drain the oil breather tube while access is good pulled the bung drained the tube, that's when things went wrong I couldn't find the bung. I took the bottom hose to make sure it hadn't fallen in there luckily the Rocker cover was already on so no danger of it falling in the engine. I spent about 21/2 hours looking for, no joy, so decided to build it all up  change the oil and filter then have another look.

Spent another hour looking still no joy. This morning emptied the garage still no joy, but then as I was putting my spanner tray back I thought another look won't do any harm and there it was nestled under the 17m spanner 🥳 I'd already had the spanners out. So all in all just short of 2 hours to do the work and 4+ hours looking for the bloody bung🤬. At least I know it's not in the engine and I now have a tidy garage. 😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 7
Andy m

I know where my bung is. 

Its in the box of bits to go back on when the bike is sold. Call it continuous maintenance and let St. Greta howl about three drops of condensate going on the road every week rather than a finger full going out with the waste oil! 

Andy

• Like 2
MatBin
On 06/05/2021 at 10:15, Grumpy old man said:

Hi

A little story. Yesterday I decided to do a valve check and oil and filter change on the NC. Stripped it down checked the valves ( all except one was in spec) built it up, about to put the rad on and I thought,  drain the oil breather tube while access is good pulled the bung drained the tube, that's when things went wrong I couldn't find the bung. I took the bottom hose to make sure it hadn't fallen in there luckily the Rocker cover was already on so no danger of it falling in the engine. I spent about 21/2 hours looking for, no joy, so decided to build it all up  change the oil and filter then have another look.

Spent another hour looking still no joy. This morning emptied the garage still no joy, but then as I was putting my spanner tray back I thought another look won't do any harm and there it was nestled under the 17m spanner 🥳 I'd already had the spanners out. So all in all just short of 2 hours to do the work and 4+ hours looking for the bloody bung🤬. At least I know it's not in the engine and I now have a tidy garage. 😄

Could you not think of a better excuse to stay out of the Mrs' way? :)

• Haha 2
Grumpy old man
3 hours ago, MatBin said:

Could you not think of a better excuse to stay out of the Mrs' way? :)

Element of truth 😉

• Haha 2