Bent Keys

ncmf

I wasn't aware of the key-bending-issue but having read the posts in this forum I found that my key has been bent as well after only 2 months use (almost daily use I hasten to add). I do agree with the author of a previous post and think the lock of the not-the-tank is the main problem, especially when opening to refuel.

However, I've started to check the key before inserting it into any of the locks and have started to insert it in a way which means the force applied when turning it counteracts the bent ... and it seems to work as the key seems to be much, much straighter after only a week.

Still, having a spare key (without the chip) just to operate the not-the-tank most certainly seems to be a good idea. The question is if any keys-cut-while-u-wait service can do this?

steelhorseuk

Gents,

Try applying a liberal drop of general purpose lubrication oil onto the ignition barrel fob and take your time when entering the key into the barrel. It should pop in nice and smoothly. 

Take the extra second or two to gently slide it in (oh mrs!!)    

The keys bend if you use too much force trying to put the key in the wrong way because you're in a rush to get going!

Been there and done it!!

Do the same with the seat / Tankstorage release mechanism.

Happy New Year to all!

Guest KatanaAl

I have noticed that it is the seat lock which is difficult to open with my bike, no problems with the ignition.

I have had the same problem with my Yamaha Super Tenere as the ignition key was also used on the panniers to unlock the lids and remove them from the bike. The ignition key is like the Honda's and quite long and the locking mechanism is extremely stiff. Yamaha sorted this by providing a new set of locks and barrels with a shorter key. It means you need a separate key for the luggage but you are not going to get stuck in the wilds with a broken ignition key.

yep Thanks for all the suggestions guys,my storage/petrol seat lock mech is stiff too,,I think I will investigate getting a dummy key cut.....its probably best to fix the problem before it a rises.......