Sign in to follow this  
Guest Silver Hawk

Fitted My Rossocromo Hugger Today and ...

Guest Silver Hawk

...I'm really pleased with it! Wasn't keen on the look of any of the other huggers that came in gloss black or those that replaced Honda's chain guard --- the Rossocromo is matt black and uses the original chain guard.

It arrived about an hour ago and took about 30 minutes to fit. Instructions are minimal and although they don't mention it, it is best to temporarily remove the chain guard before trying to fit it --- just makes things a whole lot easier.

A picture tells a 1000 words....

Offside Fixing. The two clamps + screws replace Honda's bracket

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%201.jpg

Nearside Fixing (front). The hugger lug slides under the swing arm protector....longer cross head screw provided. Chain guard removed.

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%202.jpg

Nearside Fixing (back). Steel camp hooks under swing arm. Chain guard removed.

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%203.jpg

Hugger installed and chain guard back on. Tools: angled cross head screw drivers, metric allen keys

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%204.jpg

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%205.jpg

The left overs. Honda bracket + screws for brake pipes; screw for swinging arm protector.

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%206.jpg

Flanker37

wow, very nice, and very detailed. that should help anyone in difficulty

scrumpymike

Looks good, but still not as generously sized as my Skidmarx hugger.

Guest Silver Hawk

Maybe not...but I'm a slave to style :lol:

Whiteyez

In my opinion the best hugger for the NC, i will definitely gonna replace the skidmarx with this.

Guest onedartmart

Maybe not...but I'm a slave to style :lol:

Guest onedartmart

Nice work and looks great. My Skidmarx hugger is due to arrive next week. Hope it fits as easy as yours! Maybe I should have waited..... And saved up a few more pennies lol

Martin

Ride on!

motorboy

Looks like you had your chain recalled who ever did the master link didn't do a very good job..not saying it will fail just looks bad..

tc3

Hugger looking good. Really like mine :-)

Guest Silver Hawk

Looks like you had your chain recalled who ever did the master link didn't do a very good job..not saying it will fail just looks bad..

Yes, I noticed that after posting the photos --- the chain was replaced last week by my Honda dealership. I will check it; it's possible it looks worse in the photos than it really is.

Anyone know how they rivet these joining links when the chain is on the bike? It can't just be the old fashion way with a ball-peen hammer and/or punch; how would they support the back of the chain? I guess they have some fancy modern riveting machine that slips over the chain....

I did have a partial failure of a chain on one of my vintage bikes two years ago. These chains are joined by a removable split link rather than riveting, but this does introduce a weak spot. I was getting the occasional alarming thump/bang coming from the back of the bike; each time I stopped and checked but I couldn't locate the problem....it must have been at least another 100 miles before I got home and eventually saw what the problem was. I think I was lucky:

Matchless%20Silver%20Hawk%20Rear%20Chain%20Split%20Link%2020100906.jpg

Derek_Mac

Paul, they use a chain breaker and riveting tool, that's a fairly cheap one.

You can find cheaper on that auction site.

dave

That soft link could be better.

wozza

Great pics thank you. :)

Guest Silver Hawk

Paul, they use a chain breaker and riveting tool, that's a fairly cheap one.

You can find cheaper on that auction site.

Thanks Derek...I have similar but have always done my riveting "on the bench" with something solid behind the chain, like a bench vice or similar. So I was wondering how they do similar with the chain installed on the bike...or do they not bother and just hammer away while its on the rear sprocket? :huh:

Guest Silver Hawk

Coming back from Wessons this afternoon, got caught out in wet weather again ( :cry: )...and there is slight design flaw in this hugger. Nothing to worry about but those buttresses, coupled with a slight downward slope of the swinging arm means several pools of water + road debris collects on the top of the hugger :lol:. I guess I could drill a couple of small drain holes...but I'm not going to bother. I still love it :hug: .

Mike5100

yeah - does the same on mine too. Makes you think what's the point if water and rubbish is getting that side of the hugger.

Mike

tc3

Not so bad on mine. Maybe the water is bounced off the rear of the reg plate and ends up there. My tail tidy lifts the plate higher so it may not be doing it as bad?

motorboy

The idea of the rivet tool is to just enlarge the link pin by a few thousands the side plate is pressed on and would be hard for it to come off so the enlarging of the pin (which the side plate never touches) is just added safety...

Guest Helmetbox

...I'm really pleased with it! Wasn't keen on the look of any of the other huggers that came in gloss black or those that replaced Honda's chain guard --- the Rossocromo is matt black and uses the original chain guard.

It arrived about an hour ago and took about 30 minutes to fit. Instructions are minimal and although they don't mention it, it is best to temporarily remove the chain guard before trying to fit it --- just makes things a whole lot easier.

A picture tells a 1000 words....

Offside Fixing. The two clamps + screws replace Honda's bracket

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%201.jpg

Nearside Fixing (front). The hugger lug slides under the swing arm protector....longer cross head screw provided. Chain guard removed.

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%202.jpg

Nearside Fixing (back). Steel camp hooks under swing arm. Chain guard removed.

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%203.jpg

Hugger installed and chain guard back on. Tools: angled cross head screw drivers, metric allen keys

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%204.jpg

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%205.jpg

The left overs. Honda bracket + screws for brake pipes; screw for swinging arm protector.

Honda%20NC700X%20Fitting%20Rossocromo%20Hugger%206.jpg

How is the protection? I'm contemplating between is and the R&G hugger. Any comments?

beep

Kelvin, To be honest the protection isn't brilliant. You still get a lot of dirt sprayed around the rear of the bike, but the hugger does a good job of protecting the rear shock and your feet, which I guess is it's main purpose. I don't think the R & G one was available when I bought mine, but it looks like it might give more protection.

I suppose it's a choice of form over function - the Rossocromo looks the most like a standard Honda accessory (which I believe it is in some countries), whilst the R & G and others may provide a bit more protection.

Edited by beep

tc3

I bought the Rossocromo more for its looks than for the protection it provides though it does at least keep the rear shock fairly clean. If the bike was my only mode of transport which I had no option than to ride through all weathers I would have looked at something that offered a bit more protection to be honest.

• Like 1

Guest duk2n

So, Tony, I would be right thinking my Skidmarx offers more protection? I would say it's a little bit longer and wider

tc3

So, Tony, I would be right thinking my Skidmarx offers more protection? I would say it's a little bit longer and wider

I would assume the bigger the better protection but do not quote me on that :)

I am the guy with Rossocromo hugger and R&G tail tidy so am not very qualified to advise what gives the best protection at the rear :D

Edited by tc3

Guest Helmetbox

Kelvin, To be honest the protection isn't brilliant. You still get a lot of dirt sprayed around the rear of the bike, but the hugger does a good job of protecting the rear shock and your feet, which I guess is it's main purpose. I don't think the R & G one was available when I bought mine, but it looks like it might give more protection.

I suppose it's a choice of form over function - the Rossocromo looks the most like a standard Honda accessory (which I believe it is in some countries), whilst the R & G and others may provide a bit more protection.

I see.. Thanks for the input. Guess I will just get the r&g.. But will be ordering the chain cover from Rossocromo.

scrumpymike

IMHO, the Skidmarx gives best protection.