A few pre-purchase queries

markvb

I'm tempted by a NC X as a year-round workhorse and want a simple bike whhich can be home serviced. Can anyone confirm the following things?

Throttle - cable, i.e. not electronic 'ride by wire'.

Electrics - coventional loom and not a 'canbus' arrangement.

Valves - locknuts or shims rather than hydraulic.

Many thanks,

Mark

Guest Dave990

Good questions

I don’t have a NC700 yet, but I am a bit worried about the plastic fixings/rivet things

As well as Marks questions, and reviews about the fixings?

Rocker66

Hi Mark The answer to your questions are Yes Yes & Yes.

May I ask where in East Kent you are from? I'm in Ashford. My wife and I use Kent M/Cs for excellent service.

Hi Mark The answer to your questions are Yes Yes & Yes.

May I ask where in East Kent you are from? I'm in Ashford. My wife and I use Kent M/Cs for excellent service.

Rocker,

you may well ask! Roughly half way between Ham and Sandwich (to those unfamiliar with East Kent, I kid not).

And yes, I've known Hade at Kent m/c's for quite a while.....going back to when he was working at Jack Dodwell's in Cliftonville, but I have a vague recollection he started out in the Sandwich bike shop, Geoff Daryn's?? Bought my Africa Twin from him, and my wife's Hornet came from his Cliftonville shop. And I agree, the service at Kent m/c's is second to none - they're always eager to go that extra bit to help. I also use The Bike Shop in Faversham who I find just as good - I guess we're lucky to have 2 excellent shops nearby.

Rocker66

Yes Hade worked at Geoff Darryns where I used to buy my bikes from and my then girlfriend could be found there most weekends. My wife bought her first Hornet from the Clifftonville shop after it had become Kent M/Cs she loved it so much she went on to become one of the founder members of the Hornets Nest. Sadly her first Hornet got rear ended by a woman in a BMW who was on the phone. Her 2nd one she has just traded in after 14 1/2 years for the new model which Hade had painted to match the 2012 Blade..

Maybe we will meet up at Kent sometime I will be on either my red NC700X or my white Crossrunner Sue would be on either her Hornet or her white CBF 1000FA which can be reconised by it's CBF reg number

As a matter of my interest I had my really bad accident in '66 just along the road from you in Eastry whilst riding back to the Sunshine Cafe in Cheriton from the Trapezium Cafe in Sandwich when a telegraph pole got in my way

Edited by Rocker66

Yes Hade worked at Geoff Darryns where I used to buy my bikes from and my then girlfriend could be found there most weekends. My wife bought her first Hornet from the Clifftonville shop after it had become Kent M/Cs she loved it so much she went on to become one of the founder members of the Hornets Nest. Sadly her first Hornet got rear ended by a woman in a BMW who was on the phone. Her 2nd one she has just traded in after 14 1/2 years for the new model which Hade had painted to match the 2012 Blade..

Maybe we will meet up at Kent sometime I will be on either my red NC700X or my white Crossrunner Sue would be on either her Hornet or her white CBF 1000FA which can be reconised by it's CBF reg number

As a matter of my interest I had my really bad accident in '66 just along the road from you in Eastry whilst riding back to the Sunshine Cafe in Cheriton from the Trapezium Cafe in Sandwich when a telegraph pole got in my way

Hey Rocker,

small world or what! I have seen a red NC X around (maybe there's more than one locally albeit I gather red is a rare colour). Last time was at the Adelaide caff (which you may well know) several weeks ago at the Wed night bike meet. I think I was using my Yam XJR1200 in Kenny Roberts yellow/white/black speedblock livery that night

Wives seem to get on with Hornets what with the low-ish seat and user-friendly manners....mine's had hers for over 8 years now and it's taken her all over the place, France, Spain, Alps etc. I have suggested she may like a CB1000R but, no way, the Hornet's to stay!

Rocker66

Sues last Hornet was so modified it hardly looked like a Hornet.(ask hairnet he knows it) I thought it was ugly but she loved it

Anyway I will keep an eye open for you over at Kent. What other bikes do you have?

Sues last Hornet was so modified it hardly looked like a Hornet.(ask hairnet he knows it) I thought it was ugly but she loved it

Anyway I will keep an eye open for you over at Kent. What other bikes do you have?

Well, I have a few....can't seem to bring meself to ge rid of any when I get another!

CB750K6 bought as a US import back in '94. Currently near the end of a nut & bolt restoration.

XJR1300SP bought new in '99.

Africa Twin bought new in '02.

MT01 bought new in '06.

'97 model XJR1200SP bought in '08. Having known the bike from new, I always wanted it!

'03 model DR-Z 400 bought in '09 for a bit of green laning.

To be honest, there's nothing out there I really fancy except an NC for the commute, and maybe a Triumph Tiger, one of the 750cc ones of the mid/late 70's, or perhaps a Jubilee Boneville (the '76 one, that is).

Rocker66

That's an impressive collection Mark

• 2 months later...

The throttle has two cables, I had to disconnect them when I replaced the standard grips with the Honda heated ones.

At 8000 mile intervals, I would let the dealer service it, but negotiate a good price. The bike is very well built, for the price, it's amazingly well built and there is nothing on it, finish, fixings or fittings that I would worry about. The motor looks bullet proof and the storage is really useful.

Guest stimilon
*Push* .. this review seems to indicate the throttle is electronic:

http://www.bikerglory.com/2012/12/honda-the-nc700-bikes-in-depth/

I'm not sure.. throttle delay should be virtually nonexistent with today's technology, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Definitely has throttle cables. Just have a look at the back of the throttle and you'll see them.

He also says the bike has variable valve timing which it doesn't and that the DCT switches to neutral when the engine is turned off which it doesn't (the clutch is disengaged, but the bike remains in gear until you turn it on).  He also says "no manually actuated clutch means no fine control" which is arguably untrue. The combination of minor amounts of throttle and rear brake gives fantastic control.

Yes, the maintenance manual states that throttle control is mechanical. Strange article then.

I do think handling at very low speed could be better. I haven't tried throttle + rear brake yet though, as a (late) beginner it was enough work to wrap my head around using a normal clutch for this..

Guest bigjeff

Throttle - it is a conventional push pull cable

Electrics - harness is coventional

Valves - rocker arms with screw and locknut adjustment

Those plastic clips are real sturdy and reusable if you know what you are doing and don't break them figuring out how they work.  BUT - if you do mess one up, they are only $2.41 (US) for a new one.

It is a simple design that does great things at sane speeds.

Edited by bigjeff
Guest chickenflaps
Throttle - it is a conventional push pull cable

Electrics - harness is coventional

Valves - rocker arms with screw and locknut adjustment

Those plastic clips are real sturdy and reusable if you know what you are doing and don't break them figuring out how they work.  BUT - if you do mess one up, they are only $2.41 (US) for a new one.

It is a simple design that does great things at sane speeds.

bigjeff - your last sentence sums it up perfectly.  I think this is why it appeals to the more grown up/mature riders who have nothing (left) to prove but are happy with a good ride, torque, decent brakes and great economy.  Nice to hear your comment from the US of A where a Boss Hoss isn't a necessity :D

Guest bigjeff

thanks flaps    With age comes wisdom if you humble yourself enough to learn from your mistakes instead of blaming someone or something else for your mistakes.

I do not get my identity from my motorcycles.  My motorcycles reflect my identity.

My motorcycles:

2012 NC700X - such a smart bike it makes my brain hard

1981 CB900C - I had a brand new one when they came out - the ten speed transmission makes it special - my mid life trip down memory lane

0113131452.jpg

outsidegarage.jpg

mancavel.jpg

Edited by bigjeff
steelhorseuk

Bigger than my house!!! I hate him! LOL

Sue.... Hairnet.... now they are two very familiar names, I trust both are well.

Guy's I'm in Maidstone... are Kent M/C's particularly keen to do decent deals, I'd be looking to Part X my CB1000R potentially.

Rocker66

I'm sure Haid will be keen to do a deal especially this time of year. According to their website their forcourt is well covered in snow. i will pass your comments onto Sue.

BTW are you sure you want to part with your CB1000R? I think that they are a really fun bike.

ColinB says it all , the bike is so well built and at 8000 mile service intervals I wouldn't worry about anything other than just getting on and riding it and having some fun. Let a good dealer or mechanic do the work , if any needs doing.

• Like 1
I'm sure Haid will be keen to do a deal especially this time of year. According to their website their forcourt is well covered in snow. i will pass your comments onto Sue.

BTW are you sure you want to part with your CB1000R? I think that they are a really fun bike.

Thanks Rocker....

I've only ever been to Kent M/C once, I think a big Kent rideout that Sue organised.... must of been 2003 or something.  I remember them being very helpful.  Presumably "Haid" is a person? I might give him/her? a call to see what they can do.

I would be sad to see the CB1000R go... it is a great bike, never let me down and repaid me with smiles aplenty! but I just don't get the opportunity now to use it for what it's best at... weekend lunatic blasts... I hate to see a bike rot from all year round use but equally a bike shouldn't be an expensive ornament - it's there to be ridden!

Rocker66

Haidrian is the owner of Kent M/Cs and is a great guy to deal with. I have been lucky enough to be given their CB1000R as a loan bike several times and really enjoyed it. The only reason I haven't swapped my Crossrunner for it is the CB's lack of practicality for my trips away