The results of my ACF50 treatment by All Year Biker....

Guest Crusty
Go to solution Solved by ScaredyCat,

Derek_Mac
Anyone know of a franchise 'up north'? 

Graeme, best bet would be to have a quick shufti at their www.allyearbiker.co.uk/Booking.html'>booking page.

Edited by Derek_Mac
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike5100

• roddy

• Rev Ken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys. A few pics of my ACF treatment, carried out today by Clive from All Year Biker at the event in Sudbury, Suffolk. How do I think it looks? One word - Amazing! I'm over the moon how it turne

Not at all. The dirtier the better! When I had mine done a guy rocked up on a moving mud cake. I think there was a motorbike under it somewhere...........

Ho hum,,,  I hold my head in shame,,I took delivery of my bike 17th nov and have to admit here and now  it has not been clean since..Honestly I just have not had time or opportunity...I have been with  spaying  grease to keep the salt at bay....So this All year Biker seems especially interesting to me .Perhaps I should take a pic before and after..I wonder if all day biker would have a problem with a very crudy greasy bike!!!!

Not at all. The dirtier the better!

When I had mine done a guy rocked up on a moving mud cake. I think there was a motorbike under it somewhere........... :D

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
Guest Biking Fifer

Must be the time of year to refresh this thread!

Any of the Scots on here used the service in Glasgow? I think it could be the best £60 I could spend on the bike! Would require a home visit?!?!

Crusty, did you get your re-done post winter as well??

Must be the time of year to refresh this thread!

Any of the Scots on here used the service in Glasgow? I think it could be the best £60 I could spend on the bike! Would require a home visit?!?!

Crusty, did you get your re-done post winter as well??

I didn't in the end, but I must get my arse in gear and sort it out for this winter! :) Edited by Crusty
Mike5100

Just thinking about contacting Roy today but then the Honda dealer told me he might be able to get me an NC750 soon.  They are getting their demonstrator in November.

Mike

Guest Biking Fifer

Sounds worthwhile, was the reality of the treatment as good as the brochure stays! I.e. Just a quick hose down (weekly) and then a deep re-clean in April....

scottiedoug

any places in Scotland.?

• Solution
ScaredyCat

I think my nearest one is Felixstowe, but once they've cleaned it... I'd have to ride home, probably in the rain :( - Still want to get it done though 

I think my nearest one is Felixstowe, but once they've cleaned it... I'd have to ride home, probably in the rain :( - Still want to get it done though

You're not far from me. I get mine done at Sudbury.

Mike5100

Sounds worthwhile, was the reality of the treatment as good as the brochure stays! I.e. Just a quick hose down (weekly) and then a deep re-clean in April....

Yes it is very worthwhile but you have to be realistic.  During the winter months you are not going to have a bike that is showroom shiny.  The acf50 puts an ultra thin film on everything which means it doesn't rust, but dirt does stick to it, and much of it doesn't come off by rinsing with plain water.  So you can shampoo the bike but AYB advises that you use just cheap shampoo as this won't wash the acf50 off.  The expensive washes that you might use during a valet in the summer will remove the acf50, so it follows that during the winter your bike isn't going to look in showroom condition.

But I have ridden a Versys, two Rockets and the NC700 through 6 winters and the bikes have all remained in good condition.  

By the way - the guy in the north east comes to your house and he has a gazebo, so you don't have to ride home in the wet.

Mike

Guest Biking Fifer

Yes it is very worthwhile but you have to be realistic.  During the winter months you are not going to have a bike that is showroom shiny.  The acf50 puts an ultra thin film on everything which means it doesn't rust, but dirt does stick to it, and much of it doesn't come off by rinsing with plain water.  So you can shampoo the bike but AYB advises that you use just cheap shampoo as this won't wash the acf50 off.  The expensive washes that you might use during a valet in the summer will remove the acf50, so it follows that during the winter your bike isn't going to look in showroom condition.

But I have ridden a Versys, two Rockets and the NC700 through 6 winters and the bikes have all remained in good condition.  

By the way - the guy in the north east comes to your house and he has a gazebo, so you don't have to ride home in the wet.

Mike

Thanks for that, I presume there is no benefit to the drive train and you just clean, lube as normal (Weekly)?

Mike5100

They cover both wheels with large draped cloths before using the acf misting spray.  This is so they don't get it on the pads, discs and tyres.  But to be honest I think I may do a bit of prep work before the guy comes next time.  There are lots of bits on and around the wheels that would benefit hugely from the misting spray - in particular the brake caliper housings, banjo joints, cut-outs of the disks, fork lowers, swing arm etc etc.  I think it would be possible to remove the brake pads (2 minute job on my Rocket but haven't tried the Honda yet), and make some kind of protection for the tyre from a bin bag and insulating tape.  It would be relatively easy to clean the disks afterwards with something like Muc-off chain cleaner, and then re-insert the pads.

Mike

Rev Ken

I've used AYB almost since the start and am happy with the results, but just one warning. Your chain will probably be cleaned of all its grease and for insurance reasons they are not allowed to lube it. Crazy I know and Roy feels the same, but that is what his insurers insist on. So if you've got a long ride home it is worth taking some chain lube with you.

Absolute recommend for ACF50, I rode my 125 through a Scottish winter, I'd come back from a ride and the downpipe would have a thick crust of salt but a quick rinse and spray of this stuff has kept the whole bike rust free. It smokes off a downpipe but a can will last many applications, particularly if you spray into a disposable container and wipe it on and is much cheaper than the cost of a new exhaust (even if you're a busy commuter and don't have time to wash the bike after every ride, it penetrates crud quite well). The cans come with a tube for internal application and while I'm sure a professional job is far superior, doing it yourself is better than not doing it at all. You get a far better application if you warm the can up with warm water before applying, it emerges as a fine mist compared to a gloopy splurt if the can is cold. I've never had a problem with it affecting the finish on the bike but it did get under the plastic finish on my car engine block and bubble it at the hottest point.

Edited by DH1900
Mike5100

That's an interesting tip DH - misting is good for some parts of the bike.

I spent just 40 minutes with a couple of artists' brushes and the ACF50 cap on Saturday.  Working leisurely whilst drinking a cup of coffee and sitting on a stool, I think I got every exposed nut, banjo, plain steel bracket and jubilee clip.  I think I used about one 5 second burst of ACF50 to do the lot.

I did find a bit of rust on the NC700X  :hyper:  on the gear lever side (if it had a gear lever) there is a small hole in the frame presumably to allow drainage.  There were bits of rust around that hole and up to a couple of inches away.  Also there is a little subframe that runs along just below this point and its painted black and not very well.  Both areas were swabbed with ACF50.

What amazes me is that the paint on the swingarm is rubbish - very thin and seemingly no primer or undercoat - I can scrape it off with my fingernail, and the dealer managed to do it in two places with a paddock stand.  And yet this bare metal is showing no sign of corrosion 12000 miles later and having been ridden through a UK salty winter - work that one out.

Mike

bikerbampi

Looks very good, I may have to have my bike done.

I bought a can of ACF-50 but it foams up when you spray it so I can't get a misting effect, unless I'm doing something wrong!

Try keeping the can in room temperature until you need it and give it a good shake before use.  :thumbsup:

Edited by bikerbampi

I winterised my bike today with ACF50.  As per previous occasions, it took all day but will last until next spring/summer with periodic rinsing-off of muck/salt with cold water.  I generally buy the kit with a 0.95 litre bottle and the little pump-up vaporiser which is excellent for giving a steady, controlled spray.  I start by cleaning the oily parts with Gunk and then go over the whole bike with Autoglym m/c cleaner, then dry the bike with a chamois and leaf blower.  I cover the whole bike with ACF using the vaporiser and a long radiator brush for the wheels and callipers.  The ACF kit is around £35 and does several cleans.  Having been lying flat on my back for a while, in the rain, to get to the underside of the bike, I may well be tempted to use AYB next time!   ACF is great stuff and gives the bike an as-new finish and superb protection.....although by spring it looks pretty grim.  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EasyTiger

No one down here in Devon who does it , unfortunately.

Could you get a day pass to Somerset?

Or host a day to make it worthwhile for someone to come from Wells?

Has anyone used ACF50 but also tried Scottoiler FS365, and can therefore make comparative comments about their respective protective capabilities...?

I've used FS365 for several years on various bikes and thought is was good, but I've not yet used ACF50 so I've no idea how they compare but I know they both have their fans.

Has anyone used ACF50 but also tried Scottoiler FS365, and can therefore make comparative comments about their respective protective capabilities...?

I've used FS365 for several years on various bikes and thought is was good, but I've not yet used ACF50 so I've no idea how they compare but I know they both have their fans.

FS365 is very useful for displacing road salt in hard to reach areas (because of its water content) but I find ACF50 sticks better. Neither has the tenacity to resist the heat of a downpipe. I also find FS very good on chrome because it leaves it gleaming without any polishing (though there is naturally a thin layer of oil). If you're washing your bike to a spotless finish after every outing, I'd go for FS365 but if you're too busy or don't mind a bit of dirt on your bike, ACF50 gets my vote.