Chain lubrication

Guest Crusty

Guest Grigno

I've mounted on my Integra the e-Scottoiler at least 2000 km ago. I'm really proud of my scottoiler becouse it allows me to completely forget the chain.

I'm waiting for the winter when the salt on the road will attacks my chain and I hope it will remain clean.

I've setted the computer on 40 seconds between every drop, it is perfect, for me. The suggested interval time of 50-60seconds is too long, in my opinion,

Of course there is some oil sketch that achieve the round, not tire..., but it doesn't metter, once a month some white oil and a rag are enought to clean it in a single pass

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steelhorseuk

• Mike5100

• Rev Ken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.... that's the big debate people have been having Shigsy. I'm going with the clean all the gunge off then just use acf50/wd40. Looking OK so far. Mike

I agree Mark. An auto oiler isn't for me as I prefer to do it myself rather than rely on something that does it automatically. I'd be too worried whether or not its working properly. Besides, it only

Isn't 'tight spot' misnamed ?   Isn't the rest of the chain 'stretched' ?  People may claim they do not thrash the bike, but all it takes is just one quick start from the traffic lights and that's it

Guest Crusty

Well I'm sorry, but having had a succession of shaft drive bikes, I'm not a fan of the chain.  But the tutoro oiler I fitted means at least I can pretty much forget it.  Don't tell Crusty though.

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.................

20130710_163713_zpsf46ed619.jpg[/url]

Guest chickenflaps

Well I'm sorry, but having had a succession of shaft drive bikes, I'm not a fan of the chain.  But the tutoro oiler I fitted means at least I can pretty much forget it.  Don't tell Crusty though.

That's ma boy!  well done laddie.

Guest Crusty

Well, as I no longer have a centre stand it seemed logical to get an oiler. :D

I'm still trying to get the settings right. At the moment I have it wound out one turn. Seems about right.

How is yours set?

Guest chickenflaps

I'm still trying to get the settings right. At the moment I have it wound out one turn. Seems about right.

How is yours set?

I did the test they recommend and kept the weight raised (with a bit of bent wire) and adjusted the knob until the oil dripped out at about a drop per minute.  The knob is about two whole turns out for me although I think the best test is to go for a decent ride and when the rear tyre has a bit of "radial streaking of oil", screw the knob back in by a quarter of a turn until the tyre stays reasonably clean.  I guess the variables (ride, temperature, oil viscosity etc) will make everyone's settings different.  Glad you took the plunge though, I don't think you'll regret it.  Let us know how you get on over time.  cheers, Neil

Guest Crusty

How is yours set?

I did the test they recommend and kept the weight raised (with a bit of bent wire) and adjusted the knob until the oil dripped out at about a drop per minute. The knob is about two whole turns out for me although I think the best test is to go for a decent ride and when the rear tyre has a bit of "radial streaking of oil", screw the knob back in by a quarter of a turn until the tyre stays reasonably clean. I guess the variables (ride, temperature, oil viscosity etc) will make everyone's settings different. Glad you took the plunge though, I don't think you'll regret it. Let us know how you get on over time. cheers, Neil

Well an update on the tutoro I recently fitted to my CB1300.

No doubt about it, it's a fabulous bit of kit. The twin nozzle is a bit crap so I went for the single nozzle, fitted so it's just touching the sprocket near to where it meets the chain. I've found that the optimum flow rate is 3/4 turn. It gives a nice coating all over the chain and very little fling.

Hindsight is a great thing, but I definitely should've fitted one to my NC as it may have saved the chain problems.

Guest chickenflaps

How is yours set?

I did the test they recommend and kept the weight raised (with a bit of bent wire) and adjusted the knob until the oil dripped out at about a drop per minute. The knob is about two whole turns out for me although I think the best test is to go for a decent ride and when the rear tyre has a bit of "radial streaking of oil", screw the knob back in by a quarter of a turn until the tyre stays reasonably clean. I guess the variables (ride, temperature, oil viscosity etc) will make everyone's settings different. Glad you took the plunge though, I don't think you'll regret it. Let us know how you get on over time. cheers, Neil

No doubt about it, it's a fabulous bit of kit. The twin nozzle is a bit crap so I went for the single nozzle, fitted so it's just touching the sprocket near to where it meets the chain. I've found that the optimum flow rate is 3/4 turn. It gives a nice coating all over the chain and very little fling.

Hindsight is a great thing, but I definitely should've fitted one to my NC as it may have saved the chain problems.

Glad you're happy with it.  I like it most for it's simplicity and quality of components.  All the best with the CB1300, let us know if you get 78mpg average from it :D

Guest Crusty

How is yours set?

Glad you're happy with it. I like it most for it's simplicity and quality of components. All the best with the CB1300, let us know if you get 78mpg average from it :D

I'm definitely not getting that, what with me constantly opening it's big guns! Can't get the grin off my face! :D

Having said that, it is surprisingly good on fuel. To fill her up from empty costs about £21, and that is good for about 190 miles when I'm riding sensibly.