• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steelhorseuk

• Mike5100

• Rev Ken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.... that's the big debate people have been having Shigsy. I'm going with the clean all the gunge off then just use acf50/wd40. Looking OK so far. Mike

I agree Mark. An auto oiler isn't for me as I prefer to do it myself rather than rely on something that does it automatically. I'd be too worried whether or not its working properly. Besides, it only

Isn't 'tight spot' misnamed ?   Isn't the rest of the chain 'stretched' ?  People may claim they do not thrash the bike, but all it takes is just one quick start from the traffic lights and that's it

I use WD40 to clean my chain and wipe off the excess before oiling with a light oil ( wipe off the excess).. I've heard lines of thought that I shouldn't use it for this and that reason, but I've always used it and will continue to do so. I hate so called chain sprays

Love it when I hear people riding their bikes through crappy weather and conditions and putting some decent miles on the bike, rather than looking at it all day and afraid of racking up the miles. The modern engines on bikes today are brilliant and a low stressing engine like on our bikes should last forever. Great photos shiggsy

Rocker66

Those of us with no car licence have no choice :)

Guest kennysut

I've started using Mr Sheen on mine, if it's silicon based it can't do any harm.It should have the effect of waterproofing also, with no fling off. I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good!.

Edited by kennysut

Mr Sheen on your chain - now that's a new one on me... :)

Guest motorboy

Got a good little laugh about putting a cleaning spray on the chain I guess to each his own and might not hurt and almost said maybe I should just pee on mind but decided not to write that it wouldn't be right>>>>

Rocker66

buy a 3 wheeler.

if its good enough for Del boy it be enough for you :D

Foxtrot Oscar :)

Guest scrumpymike

I believe the case against using something like WD40 on an O-ring chain is the risk that it will creep past the seals and contaminate the OEM lube. I guess if enough got in, it could effectively dilute the chain lube, which would then be more likely to leach out. This would only need to happen on one link for the chain to fail.

Rocker66

buy a 3 wheeler.

if its good enough for Del boy it'll be good enough for you :D

Foxtrot Oscar :)

eh wats da fook is dat? :ermm:

Phonetic code for the letters "F" & "O". now insert two appropiate words bgining with those letters. As a clue the second one os the opposite of "On" :) :)

I believe the case against using something like WD40 on an O-ring chain is the risk that it will creep past the seals and contaminate the OEM lube. I guess if enough got in, it could effectively dilute the chain lube, which would then be more likely to leach out. This would only need to happen on one link for the chain to fail.

I'll worry about it when it happens, but as I've mentioned I've never replaced a chain yet........more than likely coz I've never owned a bike long enough....lol

Guest kennysut

Actually motorboy, Mr Sheen is NOT a cleaning spray, it's a silicon based polish and it has been used as a lubricant ie,door hinges, for many years with great success! Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Mike5100

just an update on the acf50. I reapplied it today (again it took just 40 seconds or so with the chain brush. But my mate said yesterday (before the reapplication) that although there was no corrosion, the chain looked a bit dry - and I have to agree. Do those who use wd40 think their chains look dry?

Mike

I use WD40 to clean, but then go over with a light oil. Sometimes when the weather's good ( bit of a joke this year) I just spray on WD only. I don't want my chain dripping in oil I dislike it immensely and it makes such a bloody mess.

Rev Ken

just an update on the acf50. I reapplied it today (again it took just 40 seconds or so with the chain brush. But my mate said yesterday (before the reapplication) that although there was no corrosion, the chain looked a bit dry - and I have to agree. Do those who use wd40 think their chains look dry?

Mike

ACF50 does a lot of things, it isn't a chain lube! (Nor for that matter is WD40). I can't understand why people don't either follow Honda's handbook - SAE80 or 90 oil - which tends to have a problem with 'fling' when used generously - or a proprietary chain lube. Using Mr Sheen (great for plastic) or other household products seems false economy as none of the chain lubes are that expensive, so why risk early failure?. :pinch:

Rev Ken

I accept that modern chains are fantastic pieces of engineering - as I come fro pm the generation that took the chain off, and put in a flat tin of Graphite grease on my mothers gas stove. I'm not interested on how clean my chain looks - so long as I am content that it is well lubricated - hence my diatribe over using 'funny-stuff' not designed as lubricants. :oldfart:

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion Rev.....that's why this forum is great... :)

I realise this looks abit naff ,but it should keep on the oillly grease on the chain and keep off the salt www.honda-montesa.es/motos/modelo.php?m=NC700X&accesorio=si Protector de Cadena 08001-NM7-012 sorry I am not terribly o faye, with the black arts of setting up a link

I realise this looks abit naff ,but it should keep on the oillly grease on the chain and keep off the salt www.honda-montesa.es/motos/modelo.php?m=NC700X&accesorio=si Protector de Cadena 08001-NM7-012 sorry I am not terribly o faye, with the black arts of setting up a link

Use decent lube and apply when chain is warm so you wont have fling. Also salt will still get under the bike and on the chain. I think that cover looks pointless