Gear-down

Guest Captain Sensible

Guest Captain Sensible

Hi. My elderly friend who has an NC700 (the reason I have joined this forum) says he feels the bike is too highly geared for his A and B-road "adventures". Has anyone here ever tried a smaller front sprocket or has anyone even changed a front sprocket (how difficult is it and are any special tools required?).

Afraid not - the standard gearing's always been fine even on the twisty roads round here - I might change my mind when I get the real delivery though. Only had chance to test the bikse so far. Honda Suisse underestimated demand and no more supply of DCT until next year

Edited by chris

I agree with your freind i find the gearing to high. I ride Norfolk twisties and find 4th and 5th the best to keep a good pace.

On the other hand on A roads and motorways the gearing feels spot on in 6th.

Well I only ride on minor A, b and unclassified roads and I certainly can't see a problem on either the manual or DCT versions.

Guest Captain Sensible

Well I only ride on minor A, b and unclassified roads and I certainly can't see a problem on either the manual or DCT versions.

Fine. But my friend is old, doddery and very slow. So do I need special tool number 23121231 or just a wrench?

i think I know what he means, he is probably trying to use 6th which feels 'chuggy' below about 3100 rpm, but 3100rpm and above is too fast for minor roads. So the solution is keep it in 5th which is what I do but 5th can feel a liitle funny then, like you need to change up.

Guest Silver Hawk

i think I know what he means, he is probably trying to use 6th which feels 'chuggy' below about 3100 rpm, but 3100rpm and above is too fast for minor roads. So the solution is keep it in 5th which is what I do but 5th can feel a liitle funny then, like you need to change up.

"chuggy" is the right word....and is probably what I like least about this engine....in my view, it doesn't pull away very well from 2000 rpm....and is very "chuggy until you get to 3000 rpm. But I have no problem using the gear box on back roads and I now find myself monitoring the rev count more than the mph.

Fine. But my friend is old, doddery and very slow. So do I need special tool number 23121231 or just a wrench?

I see, sorry, hope I didn't cause offence as that wasn't my intention. Would a slightly smaller engined bike be more to his liking then - perhaps one of the new Honda 500s coming out soon?

Rocker66

I have found the gearing fine whether on motorway or back roads its just a case of being in the correct gear for the situation. Having said that it doesn't have the low down oomph of a good V

Rev Ken

Just because he is old and doddery do you really need a special tool or a wrench to get him to go faster - perhaps getting him a nice wench might be a better solution..... :fear:

• Like 1
Guest martroy

Rather that go down in size on the gearbox sprocket, why not go up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear wheel, certainly easier to change. Look on the JT Sprockets web site. The reason the engine seems " chuggy" at low revs is because of the 270 firing interval, it behaves more like a big single but without the thudding vibration.

Guest motorboy

I have added 1 tooth to the rear with very good results 2 on the rear can not be done with out a longer chain 1 tooth off the front I think would be a little bit much remember the speedo gets it signal off the transmission with 1 tooth on the rear the speedo shows high 2.32% it still shows 3200 rpms at 60mph but you are doing 58-59 mph I checked this with radar what I think would be perfect is 2 on the rear which would increase the rpms 1 bar on the tack at 60mph and the speedo would show 3 mph high it would still be the most accurate speedo on a bike I have ever owned the sprocket number is JTA1303 and the last 2 number would be the size 43-44 etc.

Guest Captain Sensible

Just because he is old and doddery do you really need a special tool or a wrench to get him to go faster - perhaps getting him a nice wench might be a better solution..... :fear:

Yeah, I see what you mean. A nice wench and just stay at home. Although I reckon this "mod" would cost more in the long run . .

Guest Captain Sensible

I have added 1 tooth to the rear with very good results 2 on the rear can not be done with out a longer chain 1 tooth off the front I think would be a little bit much remember the speedo gets it signal off the transmission with 1 tooth on the rear the speedo shows high 2.32% it still shows 3200 rpms at 60mph but you are doing 58-59 mph I checked this with radar what I think would be perfect is 2 on the rear which would increase the rpms 1 bar on the tack at 60mph and the speedo would show 3 mph high it would still be the most accurate speedo on a bike I have ever owned the sprocket number is JTA1303 and the last 2 number would be the size 43-44 etc.

Hi Robert. Is it just one big nut to undo to get the front sprocket off?