When to shift?

TJW

Been wondering at what speed people shift from first to second to third .... etc.

Came up with this after people said that there shifting was rather noisy, especially when putting her into first gear and when shifting into second.

Guest motorboy

Shift it when the valves float........Just kidding.. I shift between 3000-4000 aways 5000 if I'm in a big hurry never needed any more.This is the first bike I had that I can remember that shifting slow gives a better silent shift but the lever must be preloaded one of the best trannys I have had in a long time you want bad a few Harleys ,Airheards and post 96 Oilheads when they went to O rings on the shafts,,I think the nickname of crash boxes might have come from those bikes..

I thought i ask because i started to recognise that the shifting get's noisier the longer I drive?!?!?

I know it doesn't make sense but at the beginning of the day the shifts are almost silent. As I ride along the N to 1st starts to result in the usual "clunk" before the 1st to 2nd get's noisy after a while.

Anybody else making this experience?

I found that shifting to 2nd at around 15 mph or below makes for a quiet shift. If faster than this the "slow shift" as in "let the revs come down then shift" makes it go smoothly as well. Anything else so appears to be quite noisy.

• Like 1

I thought i ask because i started to recognise that the shifting get's noisier the longer I drive?!?!?

I know it doesn't make sense but at the beginning of the day the shifts are almost silent. As I ride along the N to 1st starts to result in the usual "clunk" before the 1st to 2nd get's noisy after a while.

Anybody else making this experience?

I found that shifting to 2nd at around 15 mph or below makes for a quiet shift. If faster than this the "slow shift" as in "let the revs come down then shift" makes it go smoothly as well. Anything else so appears to be quite noisy.

Snap

I got into the habit of preloading the vear lever after some advised it helps with shifting. It is 2nd nature now and e ery shift is smooth and quiet. Give it a try as it really does help.