consumables

ncmf

steelhorseuk

Hi ncmf, are you looking for Honda genuine replacements or aftermarket sets to change the setup?

• 2 weeks later...
Rocker66

i use wemoto 90% of the time

that auction site for the rest

only thing i buy honda are oil filters

Do they fit your Versys then :)

hammer it on :P

Ah a chap who knows how to make things fit.... I'm impressed....:)

Thanks, webmoto do the pads, ill order some EBC

I cant figure out the chain and sprockets though. Do I need to change the sprockets every time, or just the chain?

There are a couple of places that list them,e.g.

http://www.24mx.com/motorcycle-parts-map/honda/16/NC_700_/2012/20629/

but they list a massive selection, with different ratios and types etc,

Please help, as I have never owned a chain before, and am begining to wish I didnt.

Thanks,

Rocker66

Putting a new chain on old sprockets is false economy as the chain will wear much faster than if you change the sprockets at the same time

Why are you worried about changing chain and sprockets already, surely you haven't done that many miles that they require changing yet?

It is good practice to change both chain and sprockets together.

Rocker66

I had the chain changed under the recall procedure so as I had done circa 11K miles I thought it a good idea to change the sprockets as well and start everything afresh

I dont need it quite yet, just getting it in good time.

Good point about the recall, Ill see if I can get it done under that first.

Rocker66

How many miles have you done? I had by chain done at 11K due to the recall but it was nowhere near needing replacement otherwise. just keep it adjuste and lubed and you should have no problems for quite a few miles

Guest hairnet

i replaced a chain on the kwak at 11k miles as one of the sideplates decided to break (no idea why tension fine and lubed regular)

sprockets were still ok but i bought a kit anyway

chain will wear quicker on old sprockets

wouldnt worry about ratios - anything from the bigger spares people is gonna be standard teeth anyway

Rocker66

When the new laws come into force it will be illeagal to change the ratios on any bike under 49 BHP anyway

I dont want to change it, but I dont know what the standard chain is. Are the chains generally listed as generic on webmoto and the like. I just want one the most closly matches the OEM part,

I have done 12K, so no where near needing a new one yet, just want to have it handy

thanks,

steelhorseuk

Check with your Honda dealer on this one, I think you need to be careful with the Honda warranty!

D.I.D chain and sprocket sets keep the bike inside the warranty parameters??? ask you dealer while the bike in still in warranty.

Always change sprockets and chain together ..

I think I might have a problem with the chain.  Wednesday, I noticed it was very loose, so pulled of Baker Street and tightened it up with the toolkit.  This morning, on the way in I noticed a sound, roughly contemporaneous with the revolution of the chain, which would come at low speeds, as I was accelerating gently (maybe just cant hear it at higher speeds).  I jumped of at the light and the chain was really loose again, 60 miles after I tightened it. (so loose it would hit the top, and would go down about 80 mm!)

Does this sound like the recall issue?

Well I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound right to me. Modern chains should only require occasional adjustment - obviously depending on how much mileage, and how hard you use the bike.

Rev Ken

Without meaning to be rude - are you sure you tightened the axle bolt sufficiently? A quick check as to whether your chain is at the end of its life is to see if there is a gap when you try to pull it off the rear sprocket as the 3 o'clock position. If there is any perceptible gap, then renew! (Chain & sprockets). Other than that you need to look at every link to see if any of them have failed - it should be fairly obvious. Then of course you could always take it into your dealer......

When you adjusted the chain, did you make sure the locknuts were done up firmly on the adjuster bolts? (these are the ones that stick out to the tail side of the axle bolt.

If the locknuts aren't done up properly, I suppose it is possible that the nuts might move in use, maybe this could cause the chain to suddenly become slack?

I am slightly concerned that you were able to loosen the axle bolt merely with the tools supplied in the toolkit.  In my experience, you normally need a fair amount of torque to undo them which is usually beyond what you can apply with the supplied toolkit.  Normally I'd need a socket and wrench, or sometimes a breaker bar to shift them.  Sounds to me like the axle bolt isn't tight enough.

Guest billc700s

When you adjusted the chain, did you make sure the locknuts were done up firmly on the adjuster bolts? (these are the ones that stick out to the tail side of the axle bolt.

If the locknuts aren't done up properly, I suppose it is possible that the nuts might move in use, maybe this could cause the chain to suddenly become slack?

I am slightly concerned that you were able to loosen the axle bolt merely with the tools supplied in the toolkit.  In my experience, you normally need a fair amount of torque to undo them which is usually beyond what you can apply with the supplied toolkit.  Normally I'd need a socket and wrench, or sometimes a breaker bar to shift them.  Sounds to me like the axle bolt isn't tight enough.

I agree the axle bolt should be very tight, if it is not tight enough the drive will pull in the wheel causing a slack chain. The tools provided to do the job seem to be a get you home kit, the bar extension to use on the spanner is a bit too short, made to fit into the pouch, use a longer bar or get your dealer to tighten it fully for you also check your alignment, it may now be out . Most dealers do not mind doing this as it gets you to look around the showroom at the new bikes and kit on offer, just do not expect them to leap straight onto it unless they are not too busy.

I agree, not tight enough is the only explanation.  But I was standing on the extension bar from the toolkit to tighten it.  + it was no looser next time I looked at it.

Even with a cheepo chain it shouldn't stretch enough to go slack within 60 miles, and you've already said that its the original chain supplied by honda.

Get the chain checked by honda, just in case it is one of the dodgy ones the recall was about.

Also, has the wheel been out, e.g. to fit new tyre etc?  If so, maybe the person doing it didn't tighten it enough.

If not, could possibly not have been torqued up properly by the dealer when they PDI'd it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I still cant find a product for the chain and sprockets based on the specifications section in the owners manual, anybody got any ideas?