8000 service cost?

Guest geordiedancer71

Guest susiebe

Last week my dealership quoted me £268! When I Emailed the Manager saying I thought that was a little excessive he knocked it down to £190 as he said I'm a good customer.......... Wondering if he meant a gullible customer ( and also a know nothing woman) ????

If I'm that good why didn't he quote me £190 in the first place?

Made enquiries of another dealer today and they've said £150 . . . . . . . . Hmmmmm why is this so hard ?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Mike5100

• JaseR

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had my 8000 service completed - decided to go with Kent Motorcycles in Barham - what thoroughly nice chaps. It's a 100 mile round trip for me, but what a breath of fresh air these guys are - real

2 quotes so far 156 Batley Honda. 150 castle motors castleford.

Good end result there Jase

Guest Southerner

Last week my dealership quoted me £268! When I Emailed the Manager saying I thought that was a little excessive he knocked it down to £190 as he said I'm a good customer.......... Wondering if he meant a gullible customer ( and also a know nothing woman) ????

If I'm that good why didn't he quote me £190 in the first place?

Made enquiries of another dealer today and they've said £150 . . . . . . . . Hmmmmm why is this so hard ?

£268 for an 8000 mile service on your 750? - not even needing valve checks? Yeah, well excessive.

That sort of behaviour from a dealer really is unacceptable Susie - as you say, why not quote £190 in the first place rather than appearing to 'do you a favour' because you're a good customer. They obviously know you and your bike so why try it on in the first place...! 

I'd tell 'em to stick it but maybe your options are limited.

Roddy wrote  02 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

I better check on that one nelmo not sure if the dealer is trying to get a bit more business out of me I am a bit of a steady eddy rider . They said I had a few tight spots on the chain?

I had some tight spots on my chain at about 9k and I was going on a long tour but did,nt fancy putting on a new chain at such a low mileage. I took the back wheel off and cleaned and lubed the chain and tried to ease off the tight spots as best I could. No problems on the tour and after a few adjustments it was up to 16k so thought I should change it. Guess what got it off the bike and no tight spots, not even much lateral movement either when compared to the new x ring chain about to be fitted. oh well !  moral of the story. give your chain a really good clean and lube it up with gear oil and leave it for a while to soak in. 

• Like 1
dazznutts

Kent motorcycles quote

8000 service 1.5 hours labour plus parts

16000 service 2.5 hours labour plus parts

Including valve check/adjustment

Labour charge is £55 plus vat

• Like 1

I am being quoted £300 for 16k service by Metropolis for my DCT - their labour rates are 75 per hour plus VAT. Seems very steep to me - what should be included in the 16k service, I know Valve check and adjustment but what else?

Edited by R120
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bonekicker

Jeremy I can't believe all the difference in the 8000 service cost I went to Honda in Blackpool and was told £159.99p, I said I've got a bad heart and also a pensioner could they say that again a bit more gentle and cheaper £120.00 in that case--- come on who's kidding who???   :console:

Just got the 12,000 km service. Told the shop not to do the oil & filter as I had changed them recently (I'd asked them prior as I wanted to ensure the warranty wouldn't be affected if I did it myself).

I paid 3 hours labour, most of which was to set the valve clearances the mechanic said. Inlet was 1 thou loose and exhaust 1 thou tight - hardly worth the trouble. Total cost comes in around GBP125 (NZ$250).

Funny thing:

I asked about how often the fork oil is changed and was told it just gets left until new seals are required! Seems odd to me. Same thing with steering head bearing greasing and pro-link greasing - too expensive to do until the bearings are shagged, then replace them, greasing the new set.

Just doesn't sit right.

Is this yet another new fangled attitude that I just need to catch up with or do others think its wrong too?

I had the same kind of thing with my 8000 mile service (nc700x) when I asked about the valve clearances they said one or two were out. So out of curiosity I asked which one inlet/ exhaust and by how much  oh could,nt remember exactly came back the reply. for the money they charge I would like a service sheet with the clearance before setting and then " set to manufacturers spec etc "  is that asking too much ? 

Anyway come the 16000 mile service I did it myself, they were all tight  inlet .11/12mm, exhaust  .20mm,

If you feel comfortable changing oil and filter Graeme have a go at the valves yourself.

I took the forks off to do the valves and it was easier to check the steering head, it was fine. I also checked the pro link bearings when I changed the chain and they were fine too so I think your bike at 8000 mile will be ok, these bikes were assembled in Japan so the standard should be high 

Edited by Crofty

Thanks Steve, it was a case of having to get the dealer to do the service as the bike is under waranty. But I wil do the valves next time. As you say, I would appreciate a check sheet stating which valves were out  by how much.

I'm still wondering what happened to grease nipples and fork oil drain screws though :blink:

Its a real pain having to shop around, when a standard give or take a few quid should be the norm anywhere for a specific service, that's the capitalist society we all live in I suppose. Everyone has to make a few quid. 

Rocker66

Its a real pain having to shop around, when a standard give or take a few quid should be the norm anywhere for a specific service, that's the capitalist society we all live in I suppose. Everyone has to make a few quid. 

Have you considered the differences between certain areas and the costs of running a bushiness there? . Property business rates wand wages all vary greatly from area to area. Those of us living in the South of England will tell you that the cost of living down here if far greater than that up North ergo wages tend to be higher especially in London. It'snot only Honda dealers that charge varying rates but all sorts of business . It's a fact of life that we just have to live with. All areas have their downsides for instance the South has a high cost of living and the North has black pudding :D  :D  :D

dazznutts

The main difference I have will dealers service charge

Is not there hourly rate the time they say to do the

Service I accept labour charges are higher going closer

To London

Ny example in Kent is two dealers one is £55 two is £60 all plus vat

Dealer one price for service was £99.36 dealer two quoted £163.64 both prices

Including parts and vat

The question is are some dealers making up time when servicing to charge us more

Rocker66

Well all of us around here know which group one of those belong to and their reputation. They have two shops within 5 minutes of my house and I don't use either choosing to travel 27 miles to the other Honda dealer

Interesting that Branson's in Gloucester seem to come up as one of the cheapest. When I was talking to them they mentioned that they'd found they could speed up servicing by dropping the rad out of the way. Apparently for the cost of a drop of coolant it made the work a lot easier and quicker.

Tibs

Guest EasyTiger

Bransons came out cheapest local Honda dealer for the 16,000 service.

£70 difference between their own branches though.

12/9/14. Quotes for 16,000 mile service by Honda dealers on 2012 X DCT:

Fowlers, Bristol.                 £398.00               Service Desk. £298 + £100 more if valves need adjusting, as that's a two-hour job". Valves are in the 16,000 spec.

Thunder Road, Bridgend.  £370.65               Gavin - Valves included.

Thunder Road, Cwmbran. £350.39               Ryan - "As it's a four-hour job. Includes change of brake fluid, air filter, oil and clutch filters. Valves included."

Bransons, Yeovil.               £350.00               André - "Includes all fluids, filters, valve clearances."

Bransons, Gloucester.       £280.00               Colin  - (£250 for X including valves, £280 includes DCT clutch filter change).

I went with an indy for nearer £240. Still stamped book etc.

Edited by EasyTiger
  • 2 weeks later...
Newoldbiker

Chiswick Honda - 8K/12month service, everything fine..........£250!  I feel like a mug.  Interestingly they said there was too much oil in it.....I told them I checked it monthly & hadn't added a drop since they had dome the 600 mile service.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - they just looked blank and made like they hadn't heard me!

I thought the service was like a standard price!  They must have seen me coming!  Going to check to see if i have 'MUG' tattooed on my forehead  :-(

Chiswick Honda - 8K/12month service, everything fine..........£250!  I feel like a mug.  Interestingly they said there was too much oil in it.....I told them I checked it monthly & hadn't added a drop since they had dome the 600 mile service.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - they just looked blank and made like they hadn't heard me!

I thought the service was like a standard price!  They must have seen me coming!  Going to check to see if i have 'MUG' tattooed on my forehead  :-(

Unfortunately I'm not surprised to hear this.

Having been mugged by them myself, previously, I'll never go back there for service or purchase.

Motoden Kingsland Rd (other side of town from you) were £185, all good.

Guest Southerner

Today I booked my 750X into Doble for its 8000 mile service on 09 March.

Due to low miles (3100 currently, probably no more than 3500 when it goes in) they're doing an 'annual' service for around £130 ish. That does include the discount service voucher

At the end of the day, it's not a lot more than an oil and filter change.

gardener

Today I booked my 750X into Doble for its 8000 mile service on 09 March.

Due to low miles (3100 currently, probably no more than 3500 when it goes in) they're doing an 'annual' service for around £130 ish. That does include the discount service voucher

At the end of the day, it's not a lot more than an oil and filter change.

Is yours a DCT ? Can you tell me how much you will actually pay today as I took mine in yesterday as I have only done 1700 miles on mine.They changed the filter although people on here are saying they don't need doing and they charged me £200.I then said to the bloke on the counter , that's a bit steep isn't it.He then said oh he hasn't taken the £20 for the voucher I had.I felt mugged at £180.

Mike5100

Mine had done 8250 miles and Newcastle Honda quoted me £150 for the full 8000 service.  After reading this thread I beat them down to £130, but then felt a bit guilty because it looks like the DCT service is legitimately about £20 more  :D   Still they made a chunk of money on spare parts they got in for me.

Mike

Rocker66

Is yours a DCT ? Can you tell me how much you will actually pay today as I took mine in yesterday as I have only done 1700 miles on mine.They changed the filter although people on here are saying they don't need doing and they charged me £200.I then said to the bloke on the counter , that's a bit steep isn't it.He then said oh he hasn't taken the £20 for the voucher I had.I felt mugged at £180.

Dealers like Dobles do big discounts on new bikes then make it back on servicing and other costs.

Guest Southerner

No, mine's not a DCT. It's not going in until 9th March, but £130 is what I've been quoted.