• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Mike5100

• JaseR

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had my 8000 service completed - decided to go with Kent Motorcycles in Barham - what thoroughly nice chaps. It's a 100 mile round trip for me, but what a breath of fresh air these guys are - real

2 quotes so far 156 Batley Honda. 150 castle motors castleford.

Good end result there Jase

Well Lancaster Honda quote £135 if that's any help as a guide...

• 2 months later...
Mike5100

can anyone else give updates on what they have paid please.  My dealer is sying that Honda's guidance is £280-£300.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike5100
Mike5100

I pointed out the prices quoted on here, and my dealer says they can't be doing the valve check then?

Mike

Guest scrumpymike

Mike, your lot are way over the top. For example, JaseR paid £135 at Thunder Road in December and I'm assuming that the price must have included a valve clearance check as specified by Honda. I did a phone round various dealers before buying the bike and they were all pretty consistently around that price except for one bunch of comedians, who were asking double. Dealers like them deserve to be disenfranchised by Honda, who have deliberately marketed the NC as being cheap to buy and run.

Mike is doing a good point. I would bet the cheap dealers are not doing the valve check. And the following question is if a valve check at 8,000 is needed or not. Probably Honda was conservative because the engine was a new design

Mike5100

my dealer is offering to do it for £160 without the valve check, but I guess if the engine were to go wrong subsequently, Honda could say the servicing wasn't done properly?

Would you be able to tell whether a dealer had checked the valve clearances if that's what they said they were going to do.  

Mike

Mike5100

Thanks Crusty - If mine will do it for £230, I will go with them

Mike

I have the service book stamped by a Honda dealer - to my mind, that means they've done the servicing in accordance with the servicing schedule. If there was a warranty claim it would be hard for Honda UK to argue it hadn't been serviced properly.

Fowlers of Bristol quoted something like £165 - they reckoned it was 2 hours work, as a guide.

Guest onedartmart
I have the service book stamped by a Honda dealer - to my mind, that means they've done the servicing in accordance with the servicing schedule. If there was a warranty claim it would be hard for Honda UK to argue it hadn't been serviced properly.

Fowlers of Bristol quoted something like £165 - they reckoned it was 2 hours work, as a guide.

Jase, did you go to Newport Thunderroad ?

I went to Bridgend and it was £135 but that was the yearly service as I've only done 4k so far. The only difference I can see between the yearly and the 8k is the valve check.

Mike5100

ah yes - that could explain things.  

Mike

Jase, did you go to Newport Thunderroad ?

I went to Bridgend and it was £135 but that was the yearly service as I've only done 4k so far. The only difference I can see between the yearly and the 8k is the valve check.

Cwmbran Thunder Road, yes - it's sounding like they might have messed up, but they stamped the book (I checked!)

Guest onedartmart

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JaseR" data-cid="27581" data-time="1361554832"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="onedartmart" data-cid="27454" data-time="1361393707"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JaseR" data-cid="27438" data-time="1361384668"><p><br />

I have the service book stamped by a Honda dealer - to my mind, that means they've done the servicing in accordance with the servicing schedule. If there was a warranty claim it would be hard for Honda UK to argue it hadn't been serviced properly.<br />

<br />

Fowlers of Bristol quoted something like £165 - they reckoned it was 2 hours work, as a guide.</p></blockquote>

<br />

Jase, did you go to Newport Thunderroad ?<br />

<br />

I went to Bridgend and it was £135 but that was the yearly service as I've only done 4k so far. The only difference I can see between the yearly and the 8k is the valve check.</p></blockquote>

Cwmbran Thunder Road, yes - it's sounding like they might have messed up, but they stamped the book (I checked!)</p></blockquote>

You got a good deal ( as long as they did check the valves).

Anyway, like you say- once the book is stamped it would be hard for Honda to dispute any warranty claim.

Ride on

Marrin

• 2 weeks later...

Had a demo of the CBR500R at Thunder Road Bridgend today and was speaking to one of the staff there and they weren't too sure about the NC requiring a valve check at 8K miles (he wasn't the service guy) so he checked. When he found out that the valves were part of sevice he phoned Thunder Road Cwmbran and asked them if it had been done as I'd got such a low price. Apparently it wasn't so I said I'd call into Cwmbran on the way home to book it in to be done - Thunder Road weren't going to charge either! :D

Got to Cwmbran and they showed me the service card and the valves had been checked - they'd quoted the cheap price so had honoured the price! Really impressed with that! And to compensate me for coming out of my way they topped up my fuel tank :D Really can't fault what they did! :thumbsup:

Good end result there Jase :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest aknowler

As regards cost of 1 year/8000 mile service, Kent motor cycles (Honda dealer near Canterbury on A2) charged me £117. Actual mileage on bike is 5,600.

Did not ask about valve adjustment, as said by JaseR, the Honda service stamp is in the book, so any future warranty problems should be sorted.

Ride safe,

Alan.

Rocker66

If you had your bike done at Kent  you should have no problems as they are good lads.

The only down side being that now Lucy is leaving there will be nomore  of the worlds best fried bread available in H's Cafe

Guest burger650

Perth Motorcycles .. 8000 mile service.

"The service intervals for a NC700 are 8000 miles, at this point it also requires the valve clearances to be checked, this service costs £293.22.  If you do not do a lot of miles in a year we can do a short service which would be an oil and filter change and visual inspection for £116.13.

Derek_Mac

That sounds about par for the course for Perth Motorcyles, although in fairness to them they didn't screw me over when they restricted my 700X.

Guest scrumpymike

Bought a new Kawasaki VN900 Custom from them 3 years ago. Unless things have changed since then, they sell their bikes at such low prices that maybe they try to make more money out of their servicing.