Plastic gas compartment

Guest EternalDragon

Guest EternalDragon

I have heard on some new bikes that there were problems with the

ethanol in gasoline making the plastic expand and weaken. Not sure

which models.

The NC700 has a plastic tank. Anyone have any problems with it?

Even though the NC is rated for ethanol, I still use a gas treatment at every

fill up.

Thought I read somewhere the tank is metal hence the weight of the bike and Honda would only use metal for safety concerns.

I've just been out to my garage and I can confirm that the tank is metal...... :)

Edited by wozza

RTFM, page 122:

Fuels Containing Alcohol

Some conventional fuels blended with alcohol are available in some locales to help reduce emissions to meet clean air standards. If you plan to use blended fuel, check that it is unleaded and meets the minimum octane rating requirement.

The following fuel blends can be used in your motorcycle:

●  Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) 10% by volume (max)

●  Petrol containing ethanol may be marketed under the name Gasohol.

●  Methanol (methyl alcohol) 5% by volume (max) that contain cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors to protect the fuel system. Never use a blend containing more than 5%.

The use of petrol containing more than 10% ethanol (or more than 5% methanol) may:

● Damage the painting of the fuel tank.
● Damage the rubber tubes of the fuel line.

● Cause corrosion of the fuel tank.

● Cause poor drivability.

NOTICE

Use of blended fuels containing higher than approved percentages can damage metal, rubber, plastic parts of your fuel system.

If you notice any undesirable operating symptoms or performance problems, try a different brand of petrol. 

Guest Furryarteries

We never know what we are buying now. There are so many additives going into fuel these days I am surprised they can still call it petrol.I work for a fuel storage company and there is a lot of additives going into both diesel and petrol,if you were to see some of the stuff that goes into diesel you would wonder how your car runs at all.I have just filled my car up at Morrisons, for the second time in a row, and now my engine warning light has started to show. Coincidence, maybe!

Mike5100

I have a microlight and had an engine failure on take off (at 150ft) last week.  The manufacturer suggested it would be the white plastic quick release fuel line connector as some of them have been affected by the ethanol in petrol.  I took it off today and could barely blow through it.  Would have been irritating if I'd stuffed it because of these undeclared additives.

Mike

In Greece, ethanol is not used by petrol companies. BUT we've some fuel adulterating in gas stations with ethanol & water, so you never know what's in your tank. :(

Some additives are nice. I compared some gasolines with additives and some without, and it seems that additives gave me some more kilometers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gasoline_additives

Unlike many other parts of Europe, petrol in the UK isn't sold with ethanol added. Its either standard 'premium' 95 RON or 'super' which is petrol that is 97 RON or above. The fuels sold also have to comply with the relevant British Standards Institute codes. Petrol stations have regular visits from Trading Standards officers and spot testing to ensure compliance.

I used to add isopropyl alcohol to my old XJ900, with no adverse effects. It did wonders preventing carb icing.

Edited by Crusty
Rev Ken

I always used National Benzole in the old days, better than Regent TT. (I suspect only Rocker know what I am talking about!) :bye:

I remember those fuels RV, i used to put a Tiger in my Tank.. :D:oldfart:

Lyn.

PS: The National Benzole black and white TV add is now running round and around in my head :cry: 

What's worrying is you can see the metal tank when you fill it, you can see the welded joint and you can here the metal filler spout clink against the metal tank. Why would anyone think it's plastic???

The thread started by a guy in the USA, it's a plastic world out there.

Rocker66

I always used National Benzole in the old days, better than Regent TT. (I suspect only Rocker know what I am talking about!) :bye:

I liked Cleveland Discol with a shot of RedEx

Definitely something from the 1930s.....lol

Sorry for being so cheeky....lol

Rev Ken

Definitely something from the 1930s.....lol Sorry for being so cheeky....lol

Now now my young man - have more respect for your elders  :oldfart: - it was in the fifties! :lecture:

Rocker66

I remember those fuels RV, i used to put a Tiger in my Tank.. :D:oldfart:

Lyn.

PS: The National Benzole black and white TV add is now running round and around in my head :cry:

Thats Shell that was