Plastic gas compartment

Guest EternalDragon

Definitely something from the 1930s.....lol Sorry for being so cheeky....lol

Now now my young man - have more respect for your elders  :oldfart: - it was in the fifties! :lecture:

.......I consider myself put in my place ...... Lol. :)

Rev Ken

Funny - my Velocette Vogue (1964) had a 'plastic' or rather fibre glass, petrol tank and it didn't leak after forty years!

Has anybody ever managed to fill up with spilling at least some juice !!!!!!

Rocker66

Just put the nozzle in level with the plate then when the flow stops automatically leave it for a couple of seconds before removing and you shouldnt waste any fuel

Strange - if Honda say they won't fit plastic tanks for safety reasons, why do they fit them to their offroad bikes and lawnmowers?

I crash my lawnmower all the time and have yet go up in a ball of flames :frantics:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EternalDragon

Yes, I am from the USA. Stop ribbing me about it. :getlost:

There were some bikes that were having swelled gas tanks from the ethanol because they were

plastic. I tried to find it again and noticed Ducati bikes were having problems with deformed gas

tanks from the ethanol. They have nylon tanks.

Some Triumph owners are reporting bulges in their tanks after winter storage.

The NC700x does have plastic fuel lines and the manual does warn against using more than E10 fuel.

I have heard of it eating through tanks and fuel lines of mowers, chainsaws and some BMW fuel lines.

http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2009/06/ethanol-e10-e15-lobbying-group-growth-energy-opei-lawn-mower-engines.html

Edited by Oreo Rider
  • 3 weeks later...
Slowboy
Unlike many other parts of Europe, petrol in the UK isn't sold with ethanol added. Its either standard 'premium' 95 RON or 'super' which is petrol that is 97 RON or above. The fuels sold also have to comply with the relevant British Standards Institute codes. Petrol stations have regular visits from Trading Standards officers and spot testing to ensure compliance.

I used to add isopropyl alcohol to my old XJ900, with no adverse effects. It did wonders preventing carb icing.

Except down here in the south west, where most unleaded contains 5% ethanol, effectvely we are being used as an experiment for the rest of the UK, although in fairness our bikes should have been built with the latest E5 and E10 formulations in mind.  Can't say I ever noticed any difference, including on my 1958 Norton 99 Domi (over about 3000 miles), which seemed to run quite happily on normal unleaded.  Also, the Ducati sport classic range was, i think, the subject of a class action in the US due to swelling of the plastic tank caused by ethanol in fuel.  My GT1000 never had an issue in over 15000 miles, although the US may have a higher Ethanol content.

Brian

Guest bigjeff

I read literature from Honda that stated the NC700X will run on ethanol treated gas without ill effect.  I think it was in the owners manual?  Not sure where I read it tho.