4000 mile (unofficial service)

roddy

I took my bike into my local honda dealer torbay motorcycles for a oil filter,oil change and a general once over. I have had the bike since August so have done a few miles on it. What the dealer was quite impressed with was the wear of the BT023s which come with our bikes. I still have a 4 mm left of tyre wear which apparently is very very good. The brakes which I am quite heavy handed with have still 90% of life left in them as well. So what I am trying to say is the general wear and tear even after a lot miles the bikes are incredibly cheap to run. 

• Like 1

forgot to mention the once over cost £113 which I thought is not too bad either, I am not the very mechanically minded so its good to have a decent dealer/mechanic close by.

Guest Tiger-WP

I think you have taken a good approach.  12 000km service intervals are more of a sales tool than a service reality.  Its always wise to keep an eye on all things mechanical between official services and I will certainly be doing an oil and filter change, myself, every 6 000km.

• Like 1

I'll be doing the same thing with my bike no matter what the mileage. It must have at least an annual oil & filter change inspite of me only doing 2-3000 miles per year. :)

Rocker66

Playing safe and having intrim check and oil change every 4K miles. Should have had 12K done on Tuesday but road at dealers was covered in snow. now being done saturday

I stick to Honda's reccommendations, modern oils are very good,  and the engine is not revving fast or working hard on my bikes, so pointless changing it IMHO. 

Rocker66

Maybe so but I get the bike well checked over at the time and in my way of thinking it is worth it for peace of mind

Not difficult to do, but saying that, if you do not have a torque wrench or know how to tighten bolts properly (not over tightrning them),  and an oil filter wrench, you could cause a lot of damage

I do preventative maintainance, so there is not much point in dealer servicing. This is why I like these types of forums, I know that the front mudguard strengthening bracket requires some anti rusting treatment, which is my next job, that's something a dealer will not be doing for you on a service. At the same time the brake, and wheel spindle will get attended too.

Since retiring early, I have extra time to service my bikes(4)  and cars(3), something that I save money on.   

Edited by dave

Its good that you can tackle those jobs. Did you used to be a mechanic of any sort or just happen to be a dab hand at it? Me, I would have to go on a motor cycle mechanics course and then probably not be that confident in messing about with anything with 2 wheels and a motor.

My dad was a Rolls trained mechanic and worked at the Savoy Hotel garage in London for 30+ years, so its in the genes,  he did not want me to work all my life with my hands as he did, and probably the asbestos and oil did him no good long term.

I worked as a BT jointer and fibre optic planning engineer, also a union health and safety secretary, which was the reason BT allowed me to leave at 51 years old. They did not seem to want experianced union officers at the time.

I have always had an interest in bikes and cars, and will do anything given time, I've rebuilt engines and restored bikes. But really, I most enjoy riding bikes which are set up properly in terms of engine, suspension, handling. It nice to know what to do, if something is going wrong before it fails.

Rev Ken

With the old cars me dad had, I soon learnt! How many on this forum can scrape in white metal big end bearings? :puppeh:

Rocker66
My dad was a Rolls trained mechanic and worked at the Savoy Hotel garage in London for 30+ years, so its in the genes,  he did not want me to work all my life with my hands as he did, and probably the asbestos and oil did him no good long term.

I worked as a BT jointer and fibre optic planning engineer, also a union health and safety secretary, which was the reason BT allowed me to leave at 51 years old. They did not seem to want experianced union officers at the time.

I have always had an interest in bikes and cars, and will do anything given time, I've rebuilt engines and restored bikes. But really, I most enjoy riding bikes which are set up properly in terms of engine, suspension, handling. It nice to know what to do, if something is going wrong before it fails.

I started my railway career as a cable jointers mate and I'm now a union H&S rep so we have something in common other than bikes :)

With the old cars me dad had, I soon learnt! How many on this forum can scrape in white metal big end bearings? :puppeh:

Me! :D  first time i ever got a real burn, the next was on my BT lead plumbing course in 1973..

Lyn.. you still following me around tinternet Dave :D :D

Guest scrumpymike

I asked my local dealer what you need to do to maintain the warranty and he said that, if you are doing less than 8k miles per year, you still have to have at least an annual oil/filter service.

Lyn, I'm tthe official stalker, The X9 owners lot is having a ride out at Betws-y-Coed on the 17-19 May, you never know, we could meet up one day. Staying at Swallow Falls. I will be using the Swing 125.