Mirror adjustment

Guest gulveal
Go to solution Solved by Guest gulveal,

Guest gulveal

Having just got the bike on Thursday, I noticed on my first ride that the mirrors could benefit from adjustment to angle the arms slightly more away from me.  I tried to undo the lock nut today, and just couldn't budge it.

I even went as far as unscrewing the stalk from the bike so I could use two ring spanners to try and undo it, but all I managed to do was strain myself!

Has anyone else had this trouble, or got any suggestions? 

Of course I have managed to completely mess up the black coating of the adjustment nuts in the process, on a 4-day old bike.

David

Guest gulveal

I don't really need spacers, just to be able to adjust the arms as I believe they are intended to be adjusted - swing them around the mounting point, and then lock them in place with the locknut.

Guest gulveal
Just let your dealer adjust for you.

I think I will have to do that.  I don't want to break anything.  It just seems a bit excessive for adjusting a mirror, and the dealer is over an hour away.

Do you realise that one of the mirrors has a reverse thread...can't remember which one.

I did think about that.  I thought it was probably just the thread that screwed into the bike.  I would be surprised if it applied to the lock nut as well.

Derek_Mac
Any chance of a link .. ta

quote name="burger650" post="23394" timestamp="1356297848"]Any chance of a link .. ta

http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbike+or+scooter/Honda/NC+700+X/index.htm'>SW-Motech make them I think..

Edited by Derek_Mac
Guest gulveal
David

The locknut has to be threaded the same way, that's how it locks it.

I have been thinking about if it could have a reverse thread and found this on the Bournemouth Honda parts listing:

handle-lever-switch-cable_cms_site_produ
HANDLE LEVER/SWITCH/CABLE

No. Description Code Price Rec. Qty Req. Qty             15 COVER, LOCK NUT 88130-MFG-D00 £1.21 2

16 MIRROR COMP., R. BACK 88210-MGS-D30 £46.37 1

17 MIRROR COMP., L. BACK 88220-MGS-D30 £46.37 1

18 BOLT, ADAPTER, 10MM 90130-MGS-D30 £4.97 2

19 BOLT, FLANGE, 6X22 90101-MBZ-G00 £1.30 2

20 BOLT, L. STEERING HANDLE LEVER PIVOT 90113-438-000 £4.08 1

21 NUT, CAP, 6MM 90201-415-000 £2.45 1

22 NUT, HEX., 10MM (LEFT HAND THREAD) 90310-MGS-D30 £2.23 2

That might explain it.  Will I ever be able to get undone now I have tightened it so much?   :whistle:

David
Guest upandhonda

hi - i too was unable to seperate the nuts despite using a vice ( neighbours) he is an engineer and couldnt either. Strange..

I've fitted extenders but they look naff with the bolt bulges 4 inch up! Good view past my shoulders tho!

PB220008_zpsb80cd032.jpg

Made today as no way i am going to pay 50euros for two bits of Ali,,first try at anodizing so not too good but cast next to naught to try...

Lyn.

Guest gulveal

The view past my shoulders seemed OK without extenders - maybe just better than I am used to.  I am itching to go and try turning the locknut the other way, but it is Christmas Eve and I think it will have to wait.

Merry Christmas Everyone!  :santa:

• Solution
Guest gulveal

Well I finally got around to trying turning the locknuts the other way.  Sure enough, they undid quite easily when turned anti-clockwise when viewed from the top!  I have adjusted the mirror stalks to be in a straight line across now, I think that should give me the optimum view past my shoulders and arms.

David  :D

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
philboulter

The top nut has a left hand thred - simple.  The bottom one if part fo a casting - it is not a locknut.