New Chain

ncmf

I arranged with the dealer that they would look at the chain to see if it needed to be replaced under the recall.  The guy had a quick look, but he said it was too dirty to tell, and that it would need to be brought into the workshop to find out. I didnt have time to leave it with them, so had to rearrange.

Anyway, he said it would need replacing anyway, and that they might not pay for it under warrany because it had done 14k and needed a new chain anyway, which I challenged.

A new chain + sprockets is 180, and they want an hour to fit.  Not sure how much the sprockets are in their own but I need to find out in case its under warranty.

How easy is a chain to fit?  I imagine I would need a tool to split the chain? 

Guest motorboy

An hour would be a very fair rate for changing both sprockets and the chain and yes a chain riveting tool is needed and indeed at 14k your chain could be shot if you did not maintain it in those miles

Mike5100

hmmm - I doubt you've exceeded the recall time,  I would clean it off yourself with some wd40 or something then get a magnifying glass and work round the links until you find a marking like RKK, DID or RKK Japan.  If yours has only the first one, they will replace it under the recall - but they probably won't replace the sprockets 

Mike

PS check that I have got the RKK thing the right way round by reading the long posts about the chain

Mike

There conflicting views on which chains are affected, but it looks like it needs to include 'Japan', and that is also what Graftons told me.  Ill go and check it.

I arranged with the dealer that they would look at the chain to see if it needed to be replaced under the recall.  The guy had a quick look, but he said it was too dirty to tell, and that it would need to be brought into the workshop to find out. I didnt have time to leave it with them, so had to rearrange.

Anyway, he said it would need replacing anyway, and that they might not pay for it under warrany because it had done 14k and needed a new chain anyway, which I challenged.

A new chain + sprockets is 180, and they want an hour to fit.  Not sure how much the sprockets are in their own but I need to find out in case its under warranty.

How easy is a chain to fit?  I imagine I would need a tool to split the chain? 

Your dealer is completely shite! It would have taken them 2 secs to wipe clean a few links to find one that had a stamp on it. Chain should be lasting a lot longer than 14k these days.

Very poor service from a dealer. Took me a minute to wipe bits of my chain and use a torch to identify the markings. I would reconsider giving them my business in your shoes if you have another dealer you can use.

steelhorseuk

My NC has a D.I.D chain set and the bike has covered 1800 miles with it.

Took to dealer Saturday as I found a tight spot when lubing.

Dealer says need a new chain, front and rear sprocket set!!!

(All on warranty)

Not that impressed considering my mate has done 10K on his VFR and not even needed an adjustment yet!

Mark