Grubby bike, how to clean swinging arm but keep chain clean?

Guest chickenflaps

Guest chickenflaps

Well, here's a teaser, and I don't know the answer. 

My bike is filthy to the point that the rear swinging arm and, more particularly, the chain guard are covered in a thick layer (and getting thicker) of gritty dirt. 

My question: any ideas how I can now clean this up without the grit ending up on my chain (which, incidentally, is nice and oily).

Boy, I miss that shaft drive!

How about cleaning the bike and then doing the chain last.

Guest chickenflaps
Why don't you remove the chain guard? It's very easy. Then clean it in the bath tub!

You've just given me a flash of inspiration, I'd not thought about using the vacuum cleaner on the dried grit!

Guest chickenflaps
I often wish the NC were shaft driven but that would probably add a subsantial amount of wonga to the not so bad price.

A price worth paying, what ever it would be!

Belt drive is what the NC needs...

Anyway if it's baked on dirt so to speak you'll have to wet it first in order to loosen the dirt/grit. Possibly use a degreasent such as 'Gunk'. Then gently sponge over with warm soapy water that should remove most if not all the grease and dirt. . (I dont use water on my bike, but then I'm not an all weather commuter).

If one came out with a belt/shaft, id be at Graftons in the morning.

To sell or buy?.......lol

Graftons a great little shop. The staff were always helpful when I use to live in Milton Keynes..... Hope they're just as good these days

Rocker66

To my mind belt drive would be ideal. Whilst I miss the shaft that I had on my Deauvilles I feel that it would sap too much power on the NC

To my mind belt drive would be ideal. Whilst I miss the shaft that I had on my Deauvilles I feel that it would sap too much power on the NC

Mind you saying that Rocker Honda did the CX500 and VT500 with shaft and they were about 50bhp. Yamaha did the Xz550 another shaft bike. BMW did the small R450, so shouldn't be too much of a problem really.

Guest chickenflaps

Mind you saying that Rocker Honda did the CX500 and VT500 with shaft and they were about 50bhp. Yamaha did the Xz550 another shaft bike. BMW did the small R450, so shouldn't be too much of a problem really.

...and most of those were very popular with the courier riders (and that's usually a good sign)

...and most of those were very popular with the courier riders (and that's usually a good sign)

Very true monsieur, if the couriers go for it you know you're onto a winner for reliability

Rocker66

I had a CX500 which was fine. However for my personal taste the NC has around the minimum performance that I require so a shaft with it's extra weight and increased power sapping would reduce the performance too much for motorway use. Just my personal view

Guest chickenflaps
I had a CX500 which was fine. However for my personal taste the NC has around the minimum performance that I require so a shaft with it's extra weight and increased power sapping would reduce the performance too much for motorway use. Just my personal view

The original CX500 started life with 48bhp...but I take your point :D

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely agree with guru on this one, I dont think having a chain is any problem at all over a shaft drive. Just hose your bike down after a mucky run and spray a bit of lube on. The shaft drive housing on a lot of bikes look ugly in my opinion as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

A trick I use on my VFR: 

Cover the chain with a plastic garbage bag. Spray the swing arm etc. with "Simple Green," which is a biodegradable degreaser that works very well even when at 50% strength.

Hose off.

I don't get out riding often enough, so when a few days off work and away from other obligations happens, I might run down into the US (Nevada is a special treat) for 4 or 5 days of riding. 3500 miles and the accumulation of road stuff (ScottOiler working) comes off so well with Simple Green I don't have to put a rag to it.