Pre-load adjustment on Rear Shock

Derek_Mac

Derek_Mac

What size of C-Spanner do I need for this job?

Derek_Mac
Does it not come in the toolkit like other bikes?

Not according to some other people who've bought their bikes new, it doesn't even mention pre-load adjustment in the user manual!   :no:

Guest EasyTiger

Maybe you can try stopping a passing BMW or Kawasaki rider then, to see if theirs fit!

(Perhaps at a breakfast or tea stop).

Otherwise it can be a good investment if you have pillions or luggage on and off.

Edited by EasyTiger
Guest martroy

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it with a hammer and a screwdriver, not just because of the chances of damage but because acccess is tight. Most of the big bike part dealers sell adjustable C spenners which will do the job. I've adjusted mine so there's a bit more preload but it's a bit of a fiddly job even with a C spanner.

I was suprised there doesn't  seem to be a mention of how to adjust in the manual ,  when i had a tentative attempt i found it is very close to another knotched ring that gets in the way of adjusting , yes it does seem a bit tricky .    

I wish to christ there was some adjustment to the forks,,,that guy on the other site spent a whole load of cash jazzing his forks up,,I wonder if its possible to do on the cheap,maybe just new springs and some adjustable pre load cap,,,or even air pressure caps,,,any ideas?????   As for the back shock,,I would like one click softer....

Derek_Mac

There's a firm from the USA called Slingshot racing who make pre-load adjuster caps for the front shocks, they sell them on fleabay.

Derek_Mac

Mmm, that's the correct company, but the wrong fork caps!

Also, I can't find the page I linked to and the forum software appears to be breaking links by appending its own url onto the link. :(

If you visit that online auction site and search for "Honda NC700X" they're on about the 5th page of results. 

Edit: If you go to http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/honda-599-cb600-hornet-600-preload-fork-cap-adjusters-p-266.html the caps for the Hornet 600 are the same as the ones for the NC700.

Edited by Derek_Mac
Guest Old Man

Mmm, that's the correct company, but the wrong fork caps!

Also, I can't find the page I linked to and the forum software appears to be breaking links by appending its own url onto the link. :(

If you visit that online auction site and search for "Honda NC700X" they're on about the 5th page of results. 

Edit: If you go to http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/honda-599-cb600-hornet-600-preload-fork-cap-adjusters-p-266.html the caps for the Hornet 600 are the same as the ones for the NC700.

I had a look at the site and the video - looks interesting - my only gripe withe the setup is that its a bit harsh over bumps. The site states Initial Preload Adjustment begins at 7.5mm past stock and Maximum Preload Adjustment finishes at 21mm past stock. Does this meen that it will make the front end harder even at the lowest setting?

Old Man

Derek_Mac

I suspect it does as the caps with adjusters appear to be deeper than the stock caps.

I suppose you could email them and ask?