New Tyres for NC700x

Guest irishrider

Rocker66

The advice I've read most often is that rear tyres should be changed with 2 or even 3 mm tread remaining.  I assume this means in the central 'flat' or squared off part.  However that means that the side areas are barely touched - at least if you ride like I do.  Being a bit tight I don't like the idea of changing tyres too early, so I tend to run them until they have maybe 1.5 mm or even the legal minimum of 1 mm in the centre.  At this stage the handling does feel affected a bit, and the risk of a puncture is higher.  Pays yer money & takes yer choice, etc.

Not only is the risk of a puncture higher but also that of an accident. I would rather pay out a bit earlier than end up in hospital but as you say it's a matter of choice as to highly you value your safety

That's not actually what I said.  It's you who added the safety idea.  Tubeless tyres generally deflate slowly when punctured, rather than blow out.  What did you mean when you referred to accident risk?

Simple less tread = less grip especially in the wet ergo the higher risk of an accident

Slowboy

The advice I've read most often is that rear tyres should be changed with 2 or even 3 mm tread remaining.  I assume this means in the central 'flat' or squared off part.  However that means that the side areas are barely touched - at least if you ride like I do.  Being a bit tight I don't like the idea of changing tyres too early, so I tend to run them until they have maybe 1.5 mm or even the legal minimum of 1 mm in the centre.  At this stage the handling does feel affected a bit, and the risk of a puncture is higher.  Pays yer money & takes yer choice, etc.

I'm sure you know that tires have wear bars built in just run them till they show...
+1 for that, replacing tyres with 2 to 3 mm sounds like advice from tyre company sales teams. Sure the performance might drop off a bit in the wet, but the legal limit is pretty safe advice.
  • 1 month later...
Guest PaulS

Picking up mi X from Honda Pevensey Bay today at some point.

Back tyre flatty :cry:

£130 quid, fitted....Bridgestone Battlax.

Great service as always from Gedges Hastings and Eastbourne (1st service 7500m next week).

AND its guna be sunny this aft :D

Paul

Edited by PaulS
  • 8 months later...
Guest Mikeinswiss

Just clocked up 10000kms on the NC700x, the rear tyre was on from new, its a 2011 bike and came with the factory fitted BT23, think it was a great tyre but just started rounding off and felt braking performance was not great so time for a change, about 3mm tread left in places. I was very happy with it even on the twisty mountain roads of Switzerland, the smooth motorways, and perfect A roads, i am an intermediate sensible, commuting rider, but wont go on the snow.

Went to the Honda dealer out here in Monthey Switzerland and the boss at the garage recommended the Michelin Pilot Radial 3s. He had it in stock 160/60 R17 and said he could fit it for me in an hour, also said he had a NC750x auto and to take it for a ride if i wanted whilst he did the work, which i did, NC750x feels very similar to our Nc700x but wider more comfortable seat, more like a transalp seat, the automatic was pretty smooth and engine super advanced, in sport mode it changed exactly as i would of on my manual, maybe held in 3rd longer than i would of going down hill to use engine braking, but bloody clever bike. Not changing my manual nc700x just yet though as the auto bike felt like my old twist and go 500cc scooter but just super charged. You dont feel connected to the bike and despite the 50cc more and on a brand new bike its just didn't seem that different in its handling, same around corners, braking speed, feel, look, etc.

Anyway will let you know how the Michelin radial 3s go, first on they feel amazing, grip is solid, look great and hard wearing. Cost in Switzerland 250chf including fitting about £170 , when they jacked up the bike they told me off and said i am an idiot for not looking after my chain and greased it up for me for free, now thats service.

Enjoy the season.

Mike5100

It would be good to see if all those sipes on the PR3s helped on packed snow - go on Mike give it a try  :D

Mike

Bought Metzeler Tourance Next as new tyres, instead of original Battlax. About 500kms so far, not issue, good on dry road and light terrain, haven't had much chance to test on wet yet. ;-)

Bridgestones replaced at appx 12000km, with a bit of tread still on, but flatty, which was not pleasant in corners ;-)

• 1 month later...
bazza

Thanks all for tyre replies.Currently hassling Honda as my NC750 auto has well worn rear at 1750 miles-totally unacceptible in anything less powerful than a turbo Hyabusa!

As the bikes only 2 weeks old i reckoned 8000 mile services should correspond with a low tyre wear, especailly ON road rather than trail riding.It's only 54 hp !

My KTM 950-with top quality WP suspension-managed 11,000 kms last June to Morocco on a pair of Avons - I changed them with loads of tread on because they weren't so good in the wet (white lining) by Xmas.That got 98 horses and was used 80% road, 20% gravel tracks

So I want a good life tyre for road - on a low power bike-ridden quite gently.Surely not much to ask?

Also going to uprate the suspension as sure the budget rear shock and forks aren't helping the tyres so talking to Maxton

all replies appreciated

Guest susiebe

Thanks all for tyre replies.Currently hassling Honda as my NC750 auto has well worn rear at 1750 miles-totally unacceptible in anything less powerful than a turbo Hyabusa!

As the bikes only 2 weeks old i reckoned 8000 mile services should correspond with a low tyre wear, especailly ON road rather than trail riding.It's only 54 hp !

My KTM 950-with top quality WP suspension-managed 11,000 kms last June to Morocco on a pair of Avons - I changed them with loads of tread on because they weren't so good in the wet (white lining) by Xmas.That got 98 horses and was used 80% road, 20% gravel tracks

So I want a good life tyre for road - on a low power bike-ridden quite gently.Surely not much to ask?

Also going to uprate the suspension as sure the budget rear shock and forks aren't helping the tyres so talking to Maxton

all replies appreciated

Complain - if you are persistent you should find you'll get them changed FOC

Guest Southerner

all replies appreciated

Get on to nick.campolucci@honda-eu.com and phil.dix@honda-eu.com

They know all about this issue and should arrange for replacements for you.

bazza

anything must be better than the Trailmax -but cant see how to add a photo.Help!

• 3 months later...
ScaredyCat

Am I the only one that's happy with the Metzeler Z8's? They seem to have loads of grip in the dry and the wet. Perhaps PR3/4's are better but having not tried them I can't tell.

Edited by ScaredyCat
Guest EasyTiger

Am I the only one that's happy with the Metzeler Z8's? They seem to have loads of grip in the dry and the wet. Perhaps PR3/4's are better but having not tried them I can't tell.

The Z8s are lovely tyres with a lot of grip in the wet - "A recent test carried out by the renowned German Motorrad Test Centre has put the Roadtec Z8 ahead of its competitors in comprehensive wet weather tests. The popular sports touring tyre outperformed the Bridgestone Battlax BT 023, the Continental Road Attack2, the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II and the Michelin Pilot Road 3." (Makers' claim, April 2012)

Plenty of good reviews - even from MCN. I would have liked to replace them like for like, but Pirellis were cheaper...

http://uk.ridexperience.metzeler.com/2012/04/13/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-certified-as-best-wet-weather-sports-touring-tyre/

I have the Z8 on my Integra but also on a Deauville and an SV650. I'm not 100% convinced the OE tyres on the NC are exactly like the other aftermarket items. 

I've just done a couple of thou miles to the Alps on the Deau, and the tyres worked faultlessly, great feel, stable wet and dry, no dramas on mountain hairpins etc.

The Integra uses an "E" spec front, which the Metzeler site says is a different profile specifically for the NC. I'm not convinced it's necessarily the right thing, I find getting off the Deau onto the NC the steering feels heavy and wanting to drop in on corners, the Deau feels very neutral in comparison. This may of course be geometry, but it could be at least partly the tyre profile (both use 120/70-17). I suppose the only way to tell would be fit a "non-E"  front to the NC and see what happens. Also the wear on the NC looks a bit more "wedgy" than on the other bikes.

The NC will need tyres in a couple of thou miles, I'm thinking possibly PR4 at the moment, just for a change.

I just wore out a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's, got about 3k miles out of them but transformed handling. Now back on bridgestones in an attempt to get some better mileage but doesn't handle as well.