NC700XA design issues

edgey999

Hi

As i use my NC I of course begin to notice little things that annoy me or need dealing with

1. When it rains the short front mudguard allows a lot of water/crap to be thrown over the radiator. I am in no doubt a holed rad would be VERY expensive.

Plan - I have ordered an R&G radiator cover to protect it. No one is making a fender extender at the moment but when one comes out i will get one.

2. The lack of a rear wheel hugger allows a lot of water/crap to be thrown over the rear of the bike

No one makes a rear hugger at the moment.

Other than this, still all good ;)

Guest getingonabit

What might be a good idea would be to report any accessories that you purchase were you got them from and how much you paid, you never know this information might just save hours trolling the net. Parts I am interested in are radiator guard, fender extender, crash bobbins, hugger, and taller screen. I know R and G racing have the rad guard

What might be a good idea would be to report any accessories that you purchase were you got them from and how much you paid, you never know this information might just save hours trolling the net. Parts I am interested in are radiator guard, fender extender, crash bobbins, hugger, and taller screen. I know R and G racing have the rad guard

No problem

I have ordered an R&G Radiator Guard. Costr was £58 inc P&P. Ordered on Monday night, R&G quote 28 day delivery :-0

I will let do a write up of quality, fitting issues, quality etc when it arrives.

I too want a fender extender and hugger but cant find them at the moment. If i do i will post here.

Mark

Guest gunshot72

Skidmarx down on the south coast of the UK will be making a rear hugger for the NC700X shortly. They are emailing me when they are ready. I reckon they'll do a fenda extenda as well but if they don't thgen looking at the front mudguard on the NC it looks very similar to the CBR shape. I have a spare CBR one in my garage and will try to fit it to my NC when I pick it up in March. I'll let you know.

Edited by gunshot72
Guest gunshot72

On another note, if you also install the R&G tail tidy for the NC this can have to the effect of allowing much to throw up on either your back/luggage. I'm planning on modifying a GS or Multistrada rear splashguard to see if can fit the NC in the same way.

Guest Tumbleweed

Spent last night searching the web and found the following:-

Lowering kit from www.mfw-wolf.de item no. 150010075 will lower by 40mm available soon 69.90euros

Lowering kit from Alpha Technik item no. 33-RC63-TL01 available now at 98euros

R&G

Cotton reels (register interest, no price at moment),

Rad guard in black pressed aluminium £41.66 ex vat

Tail tidy £83.33 ex vat

Supermoto style round exhaust protector £23.33 ex vat

Bar end sliders £21.66 ex vat

Ermax

Clear black flip up screen (+10cm) no price yet

Rear hugger unpainted 140 euros

Colours 198 euros

I`ll keep on looking for more. :P

Rocker66

Consider the Honda Touring screen I know it is not cheap but it is good quality and very effective. also the substantial bracket looks as though it would help protect the instruments in the case of a fall

Guest CarlosNeto

I fully agree that increasing the front wheel cover and a mud flap to protect the shock at the back are the most important issues.

A small problem but equally annoying was when I broke that flimsy pin clip that holds the document tray lid, at the bottom of the storage compartment...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ex-member

I rode it home today first ride in the cold rain.

When I stopped at home (20mins), the radiator was smoking the rain water.....not a nice thing to see.

Guest CarlosNeto

I am more concerned with the sand getting into the radiator than the vapour

That's why I ordered the fender extender from Pyramid and the rad guard from R&G, all together with the Skidmarx rear hugger from www.intobikes.co.uk

Rocker66

Have you actually received the fender extender yet? I'm still waiting on mine

Guest CarlosNeto

No, not yet. Since the hugger will take them 21 days, with transport I guess I should receive all by the end of the month.

Guest ex-member

That's why I ordered the fender extender from Pyramid and the rad guard from R&G, all together with the Skidmarx rear hugger from www.intobikes.co.uk

The pic of the Fender Extender, shows a very SHORT extension. Is that long enough to cover the debris?

I understand the worry, but then what happens to the "nakedness" of the original bike design?

:no:

Guest ex-member

Consider the Honda Touring screen I know it is not cheap but it is good quality and very effective. also the substantial bracket looks as though it would help protect the instruments in the case of a fall

Good to know, I ordered it. First thing I knew I will need, after the test ride.

It cost 259chf here.

Edited by swissnc700
Guest CarlosNeto

The pic of the Fender Extender, shows a very SHORT extension. Is that long enough to cover the debris?

I understand the worry, but then what happens to the "nakedness" of the original bike design?

:no:

I think it should help to avoid most of the problem, at least keep it off the radiator, I would be concerned if it were longer as it could drop too much water in front of the rear tyre and reduce grip.

I'm not a purist, screens will affect the "nakedness", not what is under.

I am curious if the aerodynamic effect of the rear hugger will be felt at motorway speeds.

Guest Holliday

I found a german website that supplies a fender extender, will post a link later on as i dont remember the site and have to find it again :)

Rocker66

With regards to the hugger I have just seen this one on that auction site which shouldn't cause any problems on the motorway. However in my opinion it looks too small to be really effective.

Personally I find my shock tube to bea a cheap & easy alternative way of protecting the shock

http://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Honda-NC700S-NC700X-Hugger-1st-One-For-This-Bike-/160779182058?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item256f2f9fea

Edited by Rocker66
Argyll

Rocker, I've always wondered whether you have to buy a shock tube the correct size, or are they "one size fits all"? Do you have to undo one of the pivots to get them on?

Edited by Argyll
Guest Tumbleweed

With regards to the hugger I have just seen this one on that auction site which shouldn't cause any problems on the motorway. However in my opinion it looks too small to be really effective.

Personally I find my shock tube to bea a cheap & easy alternative way of protecting the shock

http://www.that auction site.co.u...=item256f2f9fea

Looked at that yesterday. Can`t imagine they`ll sell many.....it looks pretty useless to me. I think I could knock something out in the garage that looked better.

Rocker66

Rocker, I've always wondered whether you have to buy a shock tube the correct size, or are they "one size fits all"? Do you have to undo one of the pivots to get them on?

I think that they are one size fits all but I'm not sure as my dealer ordered it. No need to undo anything as they wrap around the shock

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gunshot72

Just to add to the design issues thing - the seal around the top of the 'not the tank' lid is not 100% waterproof. It handles rain fine but a heavy soaking from your hose while washing will make water run into the compartment. There are drainage slots at the base of the top edge of the compartment but they cannot get rid of water quick enough. Luckily there is another drainage hole at the bottom of the 'not the tank' but if you keep anything in the lower wallet storage area it will get wet so put your stuff in a sandwich bag.

• Like 1